USB Soundcard keeps restarting

Kamikaze

I'm trying to get my music laptop (HP Envy)) back on it's feet. 18 months ago a cluster of issues made me give up and put it in the cupboard. I've had it for years, and it served me well up until that point. I've sorted nearly all of them, but this one is a showstopper. 

Every now and again my soundcard restarts, get's stuck doing so and becomes unusable, it has been doing it again tonight, but was fine for the previous day after I finally got windows onto a new drive and fixed and update issues. My soundcard is a USB Roland Quad-Capture. I have no issues with it on other laptops, ran fine on my 12 year old Samsung that came out of retirement when my HP Envy went in the cupboard. 

Yesterday I could hear the fan running, HD background services was running at high CPU, forgot about this issue, and disabled the Realtek card (which says it's up to date). Tonight when the soundcard started to restart multiple time I tried all three ports to no avail. I saw SVCHOST Windows Audio Endpoint  Builder funning at high CPU. Is this just kicking in due to the soundcard restarting, or possibly causing the restarts. Could it be the problem affecting the Realtek card. 

Where do I start?

Edited by Kamikaze

Just woke up from a siesta to hear my fan running on full, Quad Capture was going crazy, Endpoint builder running on 32%. Found Realtek audio services was running, not at the top of the list, but jumping around, so I disabled that too. The CPU dropped. plugged the quad back in and it seems fine. 

Disabled from service.msc from startup.  

May of had a break through today. part of the problem is that it's happens in phases. Remembered that it didn't seem to be happening on Battery, but on PSU (A situation confused buy the inclusion of a failing USB adapter). This afternoon, it was being a nightmare. Spet and hour testing with and without the PSU plugged in, until my battery ran out. 

Went to a laptop repair place I'm starting to have faith in. He tested the PSU said it worked fine, but wasn't 'Zim'., his colleague even wrote it down. as 'Zim'. Seems this is how they thought 'Genuine' was spelt and written in English. Despite their tests showing it worked, they were surprised I bought a new one anyway. 

So far my Soundcard has worked faultlessly since using the new PSU.  I'm apprehensively happy, I hope this post doesn't jinx it. 

EDIT: I'm in Central Viet Nam btw, just realized this new forum doesn't have my location

Edited by Kamikaze

Good to see your still there. Notice no one replied? But I check the forum a few times a day everyday and this is the first your thread showed?  You always get an answer with in a day here and even the Staff are very active. 

Anyhow glad you got it sorted. Laptops are a PITA. 

Time for a new Interface?  I gave up on my 1st gen 6i6 and bought a Motu  M4 . Nice to have everything up to date and working smoothly again. The 6i6 and my Tascam us1641 are getting outdated and driver support is fading away. Never did like the pre amps. 

Edited by John Vere

Out of curiosity I turned off the Motu, and turned on the 6i6. The list changed to this. I opened Cakewalk to double check ASIO and all 6 ins and outs where showing. So odd that the driver doesn't report and all you see is the 1/2 input. I think I was right about getting the Motu just to get proper ASIO drivers. The 6i6 is up to date with a driver issued in 2019? 

1896289323_2020-12-19(2).thumb.png.fed235bae7c22bb000cc6e40f6c4483b.png

8 hours ago, John Vere said:

... The 6i6 is up to date with a driver issued in 2019? 

The latest public version is 4.65.5.68 which AFAIK was released a month or two ago.  I had to update to this after upgrading to Windows 20H2, as the older 4.63 / 4.64 drivers were giving me a BSOD on boot.

There is actually a 4.87.4.709 beta release as well, which is VERY new. 

The 4.65.5 is the one I have. In Mix Control / help/about  it says 2010-2019.  I couldn't find a date anywhere so I assumed this was it. I see I downloaded on Nov 30. 

I'm still glad I got the Motu. So far it's sounding a bit better too. Tonight I will do my first vocal session with it.  

I'll still keep the 6i6 because the Motu does not have SPDIF. 

One thing that's cool is I can simply turn one off and the other one on with Cakewalk running. It just tells me what's going on and it automatically resets to the correct driver . 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, John Vere said:

Time for a new Interface?  I gave up on my 1st gen 6i6 and bought a Motu  M4 . Nice to have everything up to date and working smoothly again. The 6i6 and my Tascam us1641 are getting outdated and driver support is fading away. Never did like the pre amps. 

As my HP has been sitting in the cupboard for over 18 months, my quad has been connected to my old Samsung, which is on current windows. It has been working faultlessly.  So I am hesitant to blame the quad. And while my issue is still happening on the new PSU, it's happening far less. I am wondering if a component on the power board has been stressed by the use of a crappy PSU. I've also don't trust Vietnamese electricity supply, and there is no grounding in use here. Yesterday my work laptop was on, but the screen was off, and if I'm not mistaken it woke back up again at the same time as my Quad restarted on my HP.  I do have my HP connected to Volatge stabilizer (was given to me by a friend returning to Canada).

Having said that though, I have just ordered a mini hardware mixer for my DAWless set up, and the Focusrite 4i4 would give me 2 extra line inputs I could use to connect the  mixer too. Should have ordered it at the same time,, as Thomann would be cheaper than locally, but at least the focusrite is available here.  My order from Germany won't come for about 4 weeks though, so I could get the Focusrite quicker,  

10 hours ago, John Vere said:

Out of curiosity I turned off the Motu, and turned on the 6i6. The list changed to this. I opened Cakewalk to double check ASIO and all 6 ins and outs where showing. So odd that the driver doesn't report and all you see is the 1/2 input. I think I was right about getting the Motu just to get proper ASIO drivers. The 6i6 is up to date with a driver issued in 2019? 

Just uninstalled the driver, and rebooted,  so windows would reinstall, then downloaded the drivers and reinstalled the driver manually. results are the same. Only showing 2 outputs, but when I check the windows select option, all 4 show.

Dev manager.png

12 hours ago, lapasoa said:

Central Viet Nam is a very good and interesting place. I've been there 25 years ago..

You'd hardly recognize Da Nang now, It's become a modern City, with many new bridges spanning the river Han. Old Hoi An would still look the same. 

I was going to get the 4i4 as it seems the replacement for the 6i6 which they no longer make. But the Motu was $30 Can. less  and had some better features. Like the meters on the front and the RCA extra outs. And! possibly better drivers. I know @Jim Roseberry speaks highly of Motu drivers. Down side from my 6i6 is no SPDIF and it is only bus powered. No optional power supply jack. 

The Motu isn't available in Vietnam,  so would take ages to get here and have extra delivery and tax charges. If I went for a new card it would definitely be the focus rite. But I need a bit more evidence this is a driver issue before blaming the Quad's driver. Drivers normally effect latency and drop outs, I've never seen any post about devices repowering on their own. 

Going to run my small work laptop on the quad later to see how it performs.