Session Drummer 3 not working after Win10 upgrade...

AndyLeF

I've just bitten the bullet and upgraded my PC to Win10 and then upgraded from Sonar X3 to Bandlab Cakewalk.... I knew this was going to be painful!

I then did a partial SONAR 3 install; just installing the VST plugins and now "Session Drummer 3" appears here:

Program Files/Cakewalk/VstPlugins - BUT -  when running the new  Bandlab version of Cakewalk, it refuses to 'see' the Session Drummer 3 driver "SessionDrummer x64.dll"

I've tried manually resetting the Vst plugins with a VST manual scan ("Rescan Failed Plug-ins" & "Rescan All Plug-ins") but still no joy.

My "Session Drummer x64.dll" has a size of 1708KB and is dated 12/09/2013 - just wondered if this driver is too old for WIN10?

Does anyone have a later version of the driver they could send me?

Many thanks,

Andy

This is worrying news.

I have seen nothing like Session Drummer anywhere, except perhaps Plogue Sforzando or the sfz player itself (but that is 32bit I think).

Just to explain, Session Drummer is based on sfz files and you can build your own pretty sophisticated kits.  Look up the sfz file documentation.

I have an old PC and don't update Windows on it, but I am migrating to a new PC.  I must check if it works there.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I still use Session Drummer just for that very reason. I even sampled my own real drum kit. It's totally cool to have a midi track play my drums. And this way I can record the real drums as audio and supplement with the SD samples. It's still a very good solid as a rock VST drummer. 

You can sample just about anything and drop it into the SD interface. I have al sorts of weird stuff I've used like a railroad spike being struck with a hammer. 

Anyhow I just looked and it's as I thought , you actually have to have the plug in scan path go directly to the SD folder it won't find the dll outside that folder. 

2020-12-14.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have SD3 installed from Platinum.

It did not any special handling WRT the scan path. 

In fact, adding paths multiple times (such as children of an existing path) as shown above is discouraged.

Also leaving either rescan option enabled is discouraged.

Scanning should be performed from preferences and not from the plug-in manager. Scanning from the plug-in manager lacks all the features supported in preferences.

The knowledge base article I linked above was specific to SD3 not scanning after installing using the X3 installers. I suggest following the kb article advice first and report back if the problem persists.

21 hours ago, lapasoa said:

Session Drummer 3 is a very obsolete soft synth which dates back to more than 10 years ago.

I think you are mistaken here - it's not a soft synth; there's a vast wav library associated with Session Drummer 3 with 100's MB of different types of real drum kits. I've used it a lot in the past and really like it and don't really want to migrate to a different setup if I can help it.

I've now managed to get "Session Drummer 3"  working in 32bit mode now - for anyone interested you can try the following:

Run your previous SONAR X3 (or X2 or X1) installation disc/files and when it gets to the menu "Basic or Advanced" setup - select "Advanced" and just select the plugins you want to add (not a full install). I tried this initially for 64 bit operation but that Session drummer driver wasn't recognised so, I then did another partial installation of plugins for 32bit mode and this Session Drummer 3 driver is recognised.

When the installation is finished, open Cakewalk (Bandlab) and in the "Edit/Preferences/VST" settings navigate to the 32 bit VST/Session Drummer 3 folder and then "ADD" that path to the VST folders that are scanned and then select "Scan" to force a re-scan of all the folders.

Session Drummer 3 will then appear in the "Uncategorised" Plugin list and can now be added as an instrument track strip.

Note that there was a soft-synth that was missing in the Cakewalk (Bandlab) version that was there on previous versions of SONAR - the "Cakewalk Sound Centre" - this synth is a bit long in the tooth but it has some quite good sounds on it that can still be useful. This synth gets installed as an added bonus with the above 32bit plugin re-install.

Phew! - I knew it was going to be painful but the Win10 upgrade with the new (free!) Cakewalk (Bandlab) and above plugins re-installed have made my music studio future proof for the next few years....

Good luck everyone!

Andy

• Like 1

The screen shot is from my  this, my office computer and I mostly use it for testing stuff before committing to my main DAW computer. It has X1- X3, Platinum , Home Studio and CBB as well as a bunch of other DAW's I was trying out.  

The reason you see that additional path is that worked for me.  Like the OP I couldn't get CbB to grab SD3. SO When I found the dll in that child folder I simply added it to the paths and it worked. Thanks for pointing out that check box.  Just forgot to shut it off after the last quest for a missing plug.  

@AndyLeF you most certainly don't want to have to use the 32 bit version. Follow the advise given in the other posts here and install the 64 bit version. 

On 12/15/2020 at 4:31 PM, John Vere said:

@AndyLeF you most certainly don't want to have to use the 32 bit version. Follow the advise given in the other posts here and install the 64 bit version.

I'd love to John - but my 64bit dll from SONAR X3 wasn't recognised - it's dated 2013 so maybe it's too old for Bandlab's Cakewalk... :( 

On 12/17/2020 at 4:22 PM, John Vere said:

Didn't you read the information on scooks posts. That tells you what to do as far as I can tell. Basically you are probably missing a CC+. I remember that from back then because I have X3 Studio. 

Many thanks for the reminder John and to @scook  - that C+ redistribution file repair was all that was needed (+ a VST rescan) :)