Simple instrument track .. not recording MIDI

aidan o driscoll

Hi Guys,

Long way from noob, using CW since 90s. But having a brain freeze :D

I opened CW today, add any VST Instrument and via INSERT SOFT SYNTH OPTIONS box, leave it at Simple Instrument track as I always do. Now arm the track, press record up top .. I hear the synth playing BUT no midi is getting recorded.

Not sure if this is needed but ENABLE MIDI OUTPUT is greyed out in this options box and also in the synth UI box.

For test purposes I am just using the virtual Kbrd. I have an MPK but not plugged in

Cheer,
Aidan

AUDIO U/I - Audient  EVO 4, latest drivers - NATIVE ASIO

Edited by aidan o driscoll

Thanks @scook  .. I knew it was a brain freeze :D

I was actually trying to use the Keyboards on the VSTs themselves to play and record with. That for some reason doesnt work. But when I add the Virtual Keyboard all works fine.

Now that is interesting. the keyboard in the UVI vst and the AAS vsti's does not record but using the virtual keyboard in CW for these vsts does

Playing a plug-in's UI is usually intended for audition purposes. 

Those that can generate MIDI data send the data out of the plug-in not to the current track. A different track must be setup to record the MIDI from these plug-in.

It is possible to record audio from plug-ins using their UI taking advantage of synth audio recording.

The virtual keyboard controller built into the DAW generates MIDI data like a physical keyboard controller streaming the data to the track input.

• Thanks 1