Crackles and clicks in recorded audio introduced by Cakewalk

ChrisP

Question

Hi!

I'm using Cakewalk (Sonar before as well) for quite long time without any major issues. Unfortunately I recently had to upgrade my old good Windows 7 to Windows 10 due to shabby Adobe whose apps run only on Win10 :)

Anyway after this upgrade I have a strange issue. When I record audio tracks with clean signal fed to my Delta 1010 inputs, Cakewalk is distorting recorded audio with little crackles and/or clicks mostly in strong base moments. I tried to change audio settings but increasing audio buffer is just lowering the volume of those distortion meanwhile making everything out of sync due to latency. And it should not be the latency problem as performance bars in Cakewalk are barely hitting 10%. I also checked my computer with LatencyMon and it did not find any problems.

When I record using the same setup with Adobe Audition using the same ASIO drivers everything is ok and audio is not distorted. That suggests that the problem is in Cakewalk and not in Windows, driver or sound interface.

I'm attaching two files so you can hear what I'm writing about. Any ideas what might be wrong and can I fix it myself or is it some Cakewalk bug?

Best regards

Chris

Audio Adobe Audition.wav Audio Cakewalk.wav

4 answers to this question

On 12/13/2020 at 9:01 PM, Promidi said:

Is it possible that Adobe Audition installed it's own ASIO driver (like Magix installs its “MAGIX Low Latency Driver”)?  If so then remove that and see if it makes a difference.

No, I don't think so. At least I did not find any other ASIO driver than that installed by Delta. I also reinstalled Delta drivers but it did not help. The strange thing is that those crackles occur only on certain sound like low A in this guitar track. When I record vocal with the same setup there are no crackles :)

On 12/14/2020 at 7:05 PM, tecknot said:

Hi Chris and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

Just taking a stab at this, do your sample and bit rates in Cakewalk match those in your interface?

Kind regards

tecknot

Yes, sure :) Delta and Cakewalk are both set to 48 kHz and 24 bits. I work with Cakewalk even before Sonar, so such basic stuff is obvious for me :) Anyway it's always worth asking.