Windows update thread -20H2 current ( also, impact on CW )

aidan o driscoll

Hiya

Just thought I would drop this here as a warning to some. I am in IT and have installed this or its been auto installed on many systems but recently I have ran into issues with it on other systems randomly.

The issues I have had on various systems are:

- slow to download / install but succeeded BUT then made windows usage crawl along with slow load and shutdown
- slow to download / install and gave blue screen / recovery at boot .. only way out is to go back to earlier version

This includes my Core i5, Win 10 pro, 16GB Dell inspiron laptop. Just went back to 2004 and the system is back to super fast peak condition vs under 20H2

I STRESS .. THIS IS FOR SOME PEOPLES SYSTEMS, NOT FOR ALL, MANY WILL INSTALL, HAVE IT INSTALLED WITHOUT ANY DIFFICULTY

Edited by aidan o driscoll

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

Whenever Windows wants to make an update, I do a disk image on Acronis first. That way if it goes sour, and I can't un-do it in Windows itself, I can restore the old disk image.

I do the same for any new piece of software or update that gets installed on my computer.

Same here - even though a failed update can "restore" the original image (and there's the built in restore function even if it succeeds), I don't fully trust it.

Being able to just re-image a known working system is great.

i keep my working files and critical configuration settings backed up daily to the cloud(s). all install programs (current ones) as well. then if my system craps, i re-install the OS and the app, then restore configurations. i've found patching up systems after a crash is generally unhelpful, and many times a backup file contains some of the issues that will cause it to crash again... as a note, i also redo my OS drives about once every 2 years just to clear out the junk that accumulates and only reinstall things i'm actively using - sort of like a spring cleaning, only once every few springs 😉 if i really need something i didn't install i just download from the cloud and install it.

this is what i'm running and so far rock solid:

Windows 10 Pro
20H2 
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Edited by Glenn Stanton

I've not had any issues with 20H2 so far... although getting it installed was a bit of a chore on my main studio pc.

I must have tried 20-30 times to upgrade to both 2020 & 20H2, and had a BSOD every time on the 2nd boot.

In the end, the issue turned out to be Korg's USB driver (comes with the nanoKONTROL series).  This is only used by the Korg Editor software and isn't needed for normal use. I've got a Windows 7 boot partition with this installed, so its not a big deal.

I also suspect NI's WinCDEmu driver was causing issues too (this is only required for Windows 7), so I uninstalled that too.

It was plain sailing from then on.

I know I'm not the norm, but I'm just quick at rebuilding my system drive. I don't make backups prior to updates. My computer is just for my hobby. I don't impact clients when i reinstall. But starting fresh just isn't that hard for me. I almost never need to, but sometimes i swap in a new drive.

Edited by Gswitz

I back up data daily on a drive that gets removed from the system.

I do a disk image once a week on another drive that gets removed.

I do a disk image once a month on yet another drive that gets removed, and keep many months of disk images on that drive.  That should protect me from anything my AV software doesn't get.

I use one of those SATA drive docking stations, and remove the drives when not in use, so if anyone attacks the computer, they are not getting to the backups. I don't trust the cloud.

toaster.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I back up data daily on a drive that gets removed from the system.

I do a disk image once a week on another drive that gets removed.

I do a disk image once a month on yet another drive that gets removed, and keep many months of disk images on that drive.  That should protect me from anything my AV software doesn't get.

I use one of those SATA drive docking stations, and remove the drives when not in use, so if anyone attacks the computer, they are not getting to the backups. I don't trust the cloud.

obsess much? 🙂 J.K. i am going out to get one of those docking stations for Christmas, i'm a fan of the cloud but like local backups as well.

ref: 

On 12/14/2020 at 3:53 AM, Wibbles said:

Hmm ... I'm still on 1909.

Am I missing out on anything (other than potential problems)?

I'm still on 1903 with my main machines, my laptops are on whatever Microsoft has dished out, the Laptops are nothing important so I don't really care, but they seem to work OK. Not that they get used for anything other than going on the Net and downloading files etc. Haven't noticed anything undesirable, I don't look into any new stuff that gets added or anything like that, If the laptops were running Pro they would likely still be on 1903 as well.

• Thanks 1

I seldom have a problem with a windows update. It's just nice to have that backup - just in case.

The time the Disk Imaging software saved me the most was when I bought a guitar pedal (FX/amp sim) that came with a LE edition of Cubase. I use Master Tracks Pro, Power Tracks Pro Audio, Cakewalk, and Audacity. I was curious so I slipped the CD in, and began the install.

I got some kind of an error message, and the installation was aborted. I turned off the computer, waited a minute and turned it back on. A message came up telling me the install was aborted, and asked if I wanted to continue. The only option was "Yes". It got stuck again in the same place (perhaps the CD was corrupted???).

Off/on/same thing. Stuck in a loop. I tried Ctrl+Alt+Delete when the box came up, thought I got rid of it, rebooted, no dice. I tried a few other things and nothing could get me out of the loop.

Fortunately I made a disk image before installing the software. I put in the rescue disk, initialized the restore, and sector by sector the software restored my hard drive. I tossed the Cubase disk in the trash.

The backups are an insurance policy. They seem like a bit of a bother until you need them. When you do they are a sigh of relief.

Insights and incites by Notes

16 hours ago, Fret Flintstone said:

I'm still on 1903 with my main machines, my laptops are on whatever Microsoft has dished out, the Laptops are nothing important so I don't really care, but they seem to work OK. Not that they get used for anything other than going on the Net and downloading files etc. Haven't noticed anything undesirable, I don't look into any new stuff that gets added or anything like that, If the laptops were running Pro they would likely still be on 1903 as well.

You may (or not) want to consider upgrading at some point: iirc each release is normally supported for 18 months - 1903 would have been released around March 2019.

You made that one Kenny?  Good job!  👍  If I knew that, I definitely WOULD have given you credit!

However, I found that one several months ago by doing a Google search, liked it and saved it.  I've also created a lot over the years and it's kind of cool to see others using them. 🙂

• Like 1