Issue with importing IEEE 32-bit floating-point WAV samples

forkol

This took me a while to track down, and it's quite interesting.

I have a sample pack with IEEE 32-bit floating-point WAV files.  On using the CBB Browser the file previews fine.   When drag-and-drop (or regular import) it causes pops and clicks in the playback of the project on that track.  The pops and clicks are rhythmic and proportional in volume to the audio transient - i.e., louder when the audio is louder, and softer when audio is softer, and quiet when there is no audio.

Things I tried:
 1) Switching to WDM  <-> ASIO.  Changed buffer size, Changed Multiprocessing Engine, Changed Import Bit Depth, Changed every audio engine thing I could -- still same issue.

2) Exported the file to a desktop WAV file -- the noise is there in the playback.

3) Sample plays fine in Windows Media Player

4) Sample works with ASIO drivers in Studio One 4, no issues.

I noticed that it didn't happen on all samples, only certain ones.  I tried several different samples, and then I noticed the difference -- The WAV files that are PCM-based (according to the notification line at the bottom of the CBB Browser window) seem to import and play fine (16-bit and 24-bit).

However, every IEEE-Float 32-bit WAV file has this issue.  I had this issue in the current Release of CBB, also the last Release of CBB.  And, just for fun, I fired up Sonar X3 and checked it, and not only is the issue there as well, the preview also has that same issue!

I've tried every option that seems to make sense.  I'm running a i7 PC that has 6 cpu's, 12 cores, and the project is less that 1% of CPU, and consists of nothing but an audio track with the sample loaded onto it.

I can't think of anything else to try.  Given my experiments, it seems there's an issue with importing these types of samples into Cakewalk.  My guess there's a resample problem when converting project audio.  Hopefully, CW can look into this.

If anybody knows anything else I should try out, please let me know.

Edited by forkol

"Modern, professional DAW software can read 32-bit float files. When a DAW first reads a 32-bit file, signals greater than 0 dBFS may first appear clipped since, by default, files are read in with 0 dB of gain applied. By applying attenuation to the file in the DAW, signals above 0 dBFS can be brought below 0 dBFS, undistorted, and used just like any 24- or 16-bit file."

https://www.sounddevices.com/32-bit-float-files-explained/  they have some 24-bit and 32-bit sample files demo'ing clipping

@Glenn, that's interesting.  I'll give that a try and reduce the gain a bit.  The thing that (to me) is strange is that preview works with no distortion.  Also, it works fine in Studio One 4.  Also fine in Windows Media Player. Wonder if they automatically apply some gain reduction?   Also, I get the clipping even when there are not high transients.

I would think that at least, preview should behave the same as the actual inserted WAV file.  They should both work or not work.

It's 44.1K, 16 bit.  I'm running an old EMU 1820m, and it appears to be only support 24 bit at the highest.  I made attempts to get it to go to 192k, 24-bit, but it looks like the patch software does not really support it, and it seems pretty  much locked in CBB to 44.1/16bit.

And I believe, as I said in the initial post and as you just stated, there seems to be an issue with resampling imported audio from some 32-bit wav files down to 16 bit.

12 hours ago, forkol said:

If anybody knows anything else I should try out, please let me know.

14 minutes ago, forkol said:

It's 44.1K, 16 bit.  I'm running an old EMU 1820m, and it appears to be only support 24 bit at the highest.  I made attempts to get it to go to 192k, 24-bit, but it looks like the patch software does not really support it, and it seems pretty  much locked in CBB to 44.1/16bit.

You may have seen the massive thread at KVR; not sure if that would help you in any case, but thought I'd mention it.  The MS update from Windows 1809 borked my previously reliable and flexible E-Mu PCI / Patchmix DSP functionality. Fortunately the FW port and MIDI I/O with an 0202 card (instead of the audio dock) work as does the clock out from the E-Mu PCI's ADAT port. So, my workaround is to use the PCI card to drive a vintage FW audio/midi interface/control surface.  

Edited by User 905133