Magix Independence Sampler

cclarry

3 minutes ago, Promidi said:

And besides, notation is too strict and confined compared to the flexibility afforded to by the PRV

When you're composing music that you expect to be playable by human beings, the flexibility afforded by the PRV is compeltely ignorable.

2 minutes ago, paulo said:

Some are followers, some are leaders........

And many led themselves right over to other DAWs, dropping Samplitude to the point of needing "perpetual promotions" just to sell licenses.

When I put an 8C/16T CPU and a $450 GPU in my machine, constant 15-30FPS scrolling/panning is unacceptable - especially when it's accompanied by audio issues.

These issues have existed for about a decade, and have been confirmed by MAGIX.  They still haven't been fixed.

I'd rather be a follower than a sucker.

Edited by Maestro

25 minutes ago, Maestro said:

When you're composing music that you expect to be playable by human beings, the flexibility afforded by the PRV is completely ignorable.

If you really need notation, then you might be better of with an application that has that as it's main task.

The reason I prefer the PRV is because it allows for imperfections to be visually represented and edited to the tick. 

I have Finale V26 so I can do just about anything I can imagine for paper.  But sometimes for quick lead sheets it is nice to mess around in a DAW for basic notation.  Plus I am just plain use to staff view as I'm an old fart that learned to read music at an early age.  Different needs for different folks is what I say. 
PRV is useful too and I'm not putting it down in anyway.

22 hours ago, Promidi said:

If you really need notation, then you might be better of with an application that has that as it's main task.

The reason I prefer the PRV is because it allows for imperfections to be visually represented and edited to the tick. 

I am pretty sure that you don't have any idea why I said what I'm talking about.

Lots of music is orchestrated in DAWs and then the score is tidied up and given to an orchestra for live playing.  The sammple libraries film composers use are, largely, for sketching.  They use the best to get as close to a real orchestra as possible, but the end product will be a recording of a live orchestra playing the music.

The Score view can expose trivial things that are problematic for actual instrument players.  For example, double stops that are impossible to play on a violin, or notes that are out of range of the instrument - but that a sampler may use pitch shifting to "make happen."  These things are easy to spot simply by looking at a score/staff view.  The Score View will also clearly indicate the key signature, which can help spot other issues in the score.  The PRV can be used for this, but it's way faster to do this by looking at a score view.

I didn't say to use the score view to write all of your music.  Even using notation software, composers often play in the notes and then edit them later (articulations, techniques, etc.).

If you're doing electronic music, or whatever then a score view is completely non-factor.  That music is not expected to obey the rules of human or instrument capabilities.

22 hours ago, paulo said:

LMAO.

Everybody who disagrees with you is a troll?

Behave yourself.😀

No. People who resort to personal attacks and then, instead of disicussing a topic, start posting massive meme videos in an attempt to strawman are trolling.

Trolling is being awful and then coming back over and over with more awfulness just to argue in a thread.

That is what you are doing.

Try to avoid it.

In the interim, I've just put you on block so that I am not dragged down to that level.

This is not about anyone disagreeing with me.  I am often contrarian on this forum, purposely and for the sake of inciting more rigorous discussion.  What I don't do is resort to abusive tactics to antagonize those I disagree with.  That is what you did, and I felt the need to call it out.

19 hours ago, cclarry said:

If anyone is interested in Independence Pro Full 70 Gb and
get a DAW FREE - I have Samplitude Pro X4 Suite with no extras
for sale...PM me with a reasonable offer

Samplitude Pro X Suite is probably 95-100% Equivalent to Steinberg WaveLab Pro 10 for Mastering and Audio Editing/Restoration.  It's worth keeping around just for that, if you got it on super sale.  For that, you won't run into the UI performance issues.  Just install it without the add-ons (VITA Solo Instruments, Independence Pro, Object Synthesizers, etc.).  The Base Product + maybe the impulse responses are good enough.  Doesn't need to be used for Music Production, and you don't need to upgrade it 🙂

Edited by Maestro
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 5:54 AM, PavlovsCat said:

Does anyone here own Independence?

Have the libraries and sampler been significantly updated from when Magix purchased the company that originally made it around a decade ago? I really haven't heard anything about Independence since Magix bought the original developer. 

I have the stand alone Independence, as well as a license via samplitude. I think Independence had the only real chance of competing with Kontakt - and unfortunately it's development was dropped when Magix bought it. There are some really good sounds in the expanded 70 gig library. The percussion samples are particularly good. Lots of bread and butter sounds - but missing a few staples such as a real rhodes and hammond instruments. I still use them quite a bit. People complain about the user interface - but to me it's still 10X better than the Kontakt interface. It has a lot of potential as a raw synth engine as well. 

On 12/14/2020 at 10:40 PM, RBH said:

I have the stand alone Independence, as well as a license via samplitude. I think Independence had the only real chance of competing with Kontakt - and unfortunately it's development was dropped when Magix bought it. There are some really good sounds in the expanded 70 gig library. The percussion samples are particularly good. Lots of bread and butter sounds - but missing a few staples such as a real rhodes and hammond instruments. I still use them quite a bit. People complain about the user interface - but to me it's still 10X better than the Kontakt interface. It has a lot of potential as a raw synth engine as well. 

Kontakt complaints is mostly because of the size of it.  The layout is much better than Indy, and the fonts used in Indy are disrespectful.  The menus are also pretty terrible.

The library does have some good sounds, but there is no way to download only the parts you want.  Either you waste 50GB+ getting it all, or you just take a pass and use something else.

Plus, other samples have much better editing interfaces, scripting in multiple cases, and far better compatibility with third party sampler and file formats (Kontakt, EXS24, HALion SFZ, REX/REX2, etc.).  The only way to get any of that stuff into Independence is to buy another utility that retails in the $80-100+ range.

It definitely had potential for use in Live Performance.

MAGIX is like the Corel of Creative Software.

The sampler has gotten a few bug fix updates since MAGIX has acquired it.  The Libraries have gotten literally no update.  For the non-promotional price of Independence Pro Premium, you can [just about] get HALion 6, HSampleTank 4 MAX or Kontakt.  Promotions are the only thing that make it vaguely attractive, and unfortunately the competition usually goes on sale during many of the same time periods.

Edited by Maestro

7 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Kontakt complaints is mostly because of the size of it.  The layout is much better than Indy, and the fonts used in Indy are disrespectful.  The menus are also pretty terrible.

The library does have some good sounds, but there is no way to download only the parts you want.  Either you waste 50GB+ getting it all, or you just take a pass and use something else.

Plus, other samples have much better editing interfaces, scripting in multiple cases, and far better compatibility with third party sampler and file formats (Kontakt, EXS24, HALion SFZ, REX/REX2, etc.).  The only way to get any of that stuff into Independence is to buy another utility that retails in the $80-100+ range.

It definitely had potential for use in Live Performance.

MAGIX is like the Corel of Creative Software.

That's what I meant by potential, unfortunately - it's un realized potential. I'd have to opine differently on the deep editing though. Trying to dig into deep editing in Kontakt is horrible for me. Even the simplest task like transposing  or pitch shifting a sample range is a nightmare. One huge potential that Independence " had " that seemed to get lost in the 64 bit conversion was it's own VST hosting capability. Nesting VSTi's inside Independence and blending outside synths seamlessly with in Independence was a monster feature.  Again - it really is a mute point that I'm making  - Magix just bought it and treated it like a Rompler for Samplitude only. The interface and fonts is a real detractor for many for Independence - but that was just cosmetics, always hoped that could take on a new look.  The module structure for synth building is very powerful.

Being perceived as difficult to use isn't really related to the functionality offered by an application.

That just speaks to its ease-of-use 😉

2 minutes ago, RBH said:

Magix just bought it and treated it like a Rompler for Samplitude only.

I actually think they intended it to be the Sampler in Samplitude Pro X, and potentially be a competitive advantage vs. other DAWs which only ship rompler versions of their samplers with their DAW - Cubase and Digital Performer being pretty big examples of this.

The DAW just isn't attractive to the EDM and Pop/Hip Hop types that are funneling money into that market, right now.

Samplitude and Sequoia have settled largely in the Analogue Recordinig and Mastering Niches.  Those people don't really need Independence.

Edited by Maestro

Samplitude unbundled libraries are on sale in today's "window" of the advent calendar

https://www.producerplanet.com/us/list/advent-calender-2020-1734/

(I think it closes at midnight CET, Germany time)

These libraries are on producerplanet.com, but in the section that is not in the Musicmaker store, therefore the current humblebundle coupons won't work.