Magix Independence Sampler

cclarry

Does anyone here own Independence?

Have the libraries and sampler been significantly updated from when Magix purchased the company that originally made it around a decade ago? I really haven't heard anything about Independence since Magix bought the original developer. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Does anyone here own Independence?

Have the libraries and sampler been significantly updated from when Magix purchased the company that originally made it around a decade ago? I really haven't heard anything about Independence since Magix bought the original developer. 

I have it with Samplitude...the 70 gb version...but it's tied to Samplitude, and not that I'm aware of...
it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY outdated!  But the sounds are decent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those who purchased the Samplitude Pro Xx Suite that comes with the full 70GB, the major benefit of purchasing this, is that it gives you the ability to use it Stand-alone and in any DAW. 

NOTE though, I don't think that you can buy a lesser version and use all 70GB from the Samp version.  You would have to buy the Pro Premium Suite which kind of sucks but is what it is.

AFA the library goes, yes the GUI is dated but I like the instruments and the sounds are STILL very usable.

Edited by Fwrend
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fwrend said:

For those who purchased the Samplitude Pro Xx Suite that comes with the full 70GB, the major benefit of purchasing this, is that it gives you the ability to use it Stand-alone and in any DAW. 

NOTE though, I don't think that you can buy a lesser version and use all 70GB from the Samp version.  You would have to buy the Pro Premium Suite which kind of sucks but is what it is.

AFA the library goes, yes the GUI is dated but I like the instruments and the sounds are STILL very usable.

So are the ones in Kontakt 2.  

This used to be my goto. When Magix took over I suffered a string of authorisation issues as it was a legacy product. In the end I gave up and reclaimed the disc space. It was being overtaken by my growing Kontakt collection in any case.

The Candy saxophones were particularly good and I miss them. The basses were also very good. The rest are reasonable workhorse type sounds. 

It was reasonably straight forward to load your own samples and map them on the keyboard.

I assume authorisation problems wont occur buying direct from  Magix. Worth considering at these prices if you need more bread and butter sounds.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paul Young said:

I don't think that you can buy a lesser version and use all 70GB from the Samp version

Correct. The instrument is the same but libraries come with their own license checks.

You can have the 70 GB library licensed for Samplitude and the 12GB licensed for everything. Then, if you open Independence e.g., in StudioOne, all the instruments will show up in the instrument selection pane, but you will get a licensing error if you try to load an instrument from the 70GB library. You will only be able to actually use instruments from the 12GB library

Yes, it is rather annoying and probably the main reason why I end up looking first in Falcon and Sampletank when looking for "typical" sampled sounds.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 6:11 AM, Carlos Iglesias said:

Independence Pro Suite Plus Platinum + Deluxe They could change the gui instead of continually selling the same thing.

The product is basically out of development.  It's kept around to milk it for whatever they can, and to keep the prices of Pro/Suite product SKUs (Samplitude Pro X, ACID Pro) high.

I don't find the sounds that great.

The orchestral sounds, for example, are worse than what you get from SONiVOX Orchestral Companions, Logic Pro X Factory Library, or even SampleTank 4 (not talking about Miroslav Philharmonik CE/2).  It is also missing some instruments that are useful, but has a ton of "exotic" patches that most people will never use.

The Synth Sounds are usable, but for that most are better off just getting the AIR Synths and/or Synthmaster (whatever SKU they choose).

I do agree that the UI is really in need of a major of a major facelift.  The fonts they use are horrible.  The menus are pretty bad.  It's not scalable.  The patch browser is terrible.

-----

That being said, this is a really low price and I recommend people who need a Sampler Workstation with a "usable" Factory Library, and they don't own anything else.

Not worth it if you have Kontakt 6, HALion 6, or Total Studio MAX 2/SampleTank 4 (MAX), though.  It will likely just sit there unused.  65GB is a lot of space to waste on an SSD.

Imagine how great MAGIX's products could be if they invested more in development and UI/UX design, as well as integrating their products better (i.e. the way HALion is integrated into Cubase, or the way PreSonus integrates their stuff into Studio One)...

Edited by Maestro

33 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Yet the program for pure audio editing is actually really good. But you are right the GUI is out-dated.

It is and great value when the sales are on (ie most of the time).I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't deal with the clunky UI.

If it were no longer possible to use CW, it would still be up there as a possible option.

17 minutes ago, paulo said:

It is and great value when the sales are on (ie most of the time).I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't deal with the clunky UI.

If it were no longer possible to use CW, it would still be up there as a possible option.

Me too. But now that Presonus Studio One has built-in Staff/Notation. I think I would go that route. Of course that means I have to update to version 5 :D

7 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Me too. But now that Presonus Studio One has built-in Staff/Notation. I think I would go that route. Of course that means I have to update to version 5 :D

TBH based on looks alone, I think I'd rather look at Samplitude than S1. Notation is all gobbledegook to me anyway.

1 minute ago, paulo said:

TBH based on looks alone, I think I'd rather look at Samplitude than S1. Notation is all gobbledegook to me anyway.

Almost no one else would go that route based on looks alone.  Samplitude does look like @$$, and the GUI bogs down heavily when you ahve decent track and object counts - which can also cause audio issues whenever you try to do anything like scroll or pan in the application during playback.  I gave that software 100 chances.  It's just not well-developed.