midi keyboard just stops working and can't record

J_1313

Okay, so if anyone can help me with this It would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to figure it out for a week or so. 

Basically, I did a first ever install of Cakewalk and Bandlab Assistant. Everything was working great and my midi keyboard was synced with Cakewalk and my VST plugin and I could record fine, but then I load up the program the other day and suddenly it is only working intermittently or not at all.

More details:

I am using an Aturia Minilab MKII hooked to my laptop via USB 3.0 (I tried plugging it into the 2.0 port as well and still no dice). 

The VST plugin I am trying to use is Arcade by Output (It has worked fine before it suddenly stopped)

When I load up Cakewalk I use an Empty Project file and add one Instrument track. The Instrument is set to Arcade and the Output is set to Master.

The Inputs I have tried to make this work are: 

All Inputs - Midi Omni and Channel 1

AtruiaMiniLab - Omni and Channel 1

None of these are working, but before it stopped working I was using AtruiaMiniLab - Omni

The Recording Time Master is set  to mic in at front panel which I think is the right one. Honestly I am new to this program and really music production software so...

Under Audio, my Driver Mode is WASAPI Shared

Under MIDI and then Devices Atruia MiniLab is selected as Input

Under Playback and Recording the Driver Mode is MME

Under Instruments Aturia is assigned to all Output Channels and uses the instrument <default>

Nothing is Muted or set to Solo. 

As far as not being able to record goes, when all of this is working, I Arm the track for recording and make sure it is selected, but then when I hit the record button the timeline does not move and it does not start recording. Instead, it brings up the recording options whether I want to do Comp, Sound on Sound, or Overwrite. I make sure I am hitting the full button and not only the corner that brings those settings up. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Another thing, maybe I was not paying attention before, but I noticed the Enable/Bypass Read Automation button has an exclaimation mark next to the R, and that the Clear all automation write enables has a slashed out mark through the W. I don't remember seeing this before but I could be wrong and it is the way it is supposed to be.

I've done two reinstalls of the program.

Thanks.

**Update on this**

Removed Cakewalk and Bandlab assistant from my computer and then reinstalled both. Before I only deleted Cakewalk but left Band Lab Assistant. Everything worked for awhile using Instrument: Arcade and Input: Aturia Minilab - Channel 1. Somehow I even got it to record at least one track. Then as I was searching through loops on Arcade, Cakewalk crashed. I load it back up using the same settings and now Minilab doesn't sync with Arcade again. It is not registering that I've pressed keys down on the midi keyboard in Arcade's interface. Even when I press on the piano keys on the interface with the mouse I hear no sound.

Edited by J_1313

I have a MIDI keyboard problem. When I am starting up CW with the keyboard is connected it works fine for 30 sec to 15 min then it disconnects and I have to restart CW again to get my keyboard to send MIDI to CW again. I have read all about this in the forum and tryed every trick. USB energy adjustment. Deleting INI-file and more but nothing helps. I tryed Reaper and it was the same problem. Windows do not disconnect from the keyboard. I did use Reaper with Windows 7 about 2 years ago with the same keyboard with no problem. I am now using Windows 10.

6 hours ago, Jorgen Renstrom said:

I have a MIDI keyboard problem. When I am starting up CW with the keyboard is connected it works fine for 30 sec to 15 min then it disconnects and I have to restart CW again to get my keyboard to send MIDI to CW again. I have read all about this in the forum and tryed every trick. USB energy adjustment. Deleting INI-file and more but nothing helps. I tryed Reaper and it was the same problem. Windows do not disconnect from the keyboard. I did use Reaper with Windows 7 about 2 years ago with the same keyboard with no problem. I am now using Windows 10.

Probably better to start a new thread, as this looks like a problem that is not related to the OP. When you say that Windows does not disconnect from the keyboard, what exactly do you mean? When it is working what is its status in device manager? How about when it is not working?  If it is not working in two different DAW's , then likely it is either a hardware connection problem (bad dirty or loose connectors, broken cable conductors etc.) or a problem within the physical device itself. Another possibility is that it is a flaky device driver, but the kind of intermittant failure you describe is less likely due to that issue unless there is some kind of software interference that comes and goes. To rule out a problem with Cakewalk, you can try the free MIDIOx to be sure it is sending the correct signals. If you decide to pursue this question here, it would be helpful to know at least what make and model keyboard you are using and how it is connected to your computer and the  operating system. In general the more information you provide the better guesses you will get about the cause of the problem.

• Like 2

Thanks for the respons! It is a Yamaha beginner level keyboard that uses no special drives and it is connected by USB. Both when the keyboard works and not working the device manger in windows shows that it is no problem and the keyboard is connected to windows. A strange thing is that after the keyboard stops working in CW and I then disconnect the cable from the computer  CW sends a message that the keyboard has been disconnected. If I then connect the keyboard to the computer CW sends a message that a keyboard has been connected and want to now if I want to use it in CW. If I then answer yes the keyboard will not start to work in CW. To get it to start working again I have restart CW. Then after a few minutes it stops working again. This problem was not with windows7.

I have tryed another USB cable but it did not help.

Edited by Jorgen Renstrom