Default MIDI keyboard sound (piano) ALSO playing when a different instrument sound is chosen.

Mark Ellis

Question

Hello; I'm sorry if I don't explain this well, but here goes:

I have an Artesia Performer 88 MIDI keyboard that's connected to my Windows 10 laptop via USB. So far, I've only installed the Collab3 VST plugin; I like the "jazz organ"/"baseball game organ" type of sounds. I can record a track using that organ sound, but when I play it on my keyboard, the default sound that plays when the keyboard is powered on (a piano sound) ALSO plays. How do I set everything up so that, on the MIDI keyboard, when I play an instrument, it ONLY plays the instrument I want it to? To explain it another way: If I want to record a track with a "jazz organ" sound, how can I ONLY hear the "jazz organ" sound and NOT the default powered-on sound along with the "jazz organ" sound?

I hope that makes some semblance of sense. I'm new at this and am just trying to learn about recording songs like what we sing in my church with multiple instruments and, in the future, my voice for singing them. Thank you in advance. 

2 answers to this question

If I understand your problem correctly, you need to set your keyboard to Local Off to turn off its built-in tone generator. I have no personal experience of Artesia but according to the PE-88 manual you turn Local Off by following these steps:

Press the [FUNCTION] button repeatedly to select MIDISET, then press the [ENTER] button to confirm, the LCD will display LOCAL, press the [ENTER] button to confirm, use [+/-] buttons set the value the function On or Off.