Anyone Using Korg nanoKontrol Studio?

Billy86

Santa asked me what I'd like for Christmas, and I have my eye on the Korg nanoKontrol Studio control surface.  Bluetooth compatible; one less friggin' wire! :)

https://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/nanokontrol_studio/

I think it fits Santa's budget. Any musical elves out there have any experience using this with CbB? Thanks, and Happy Holidays all!

EDIT: Looking for something that I can use to control the mixer functions and Virtual instruments via MIDI Learn to assign knobs/sliders.

Edited by Billy86

I use the nanoKONTROL Studio on my dev machine pretty much daily.  I can't recommend it enough to be honest... it's a great controller.

A few points to consider though:

1. Bluetooth only works in UWP mode, which may be an issue if you've other MIDI devices that need to run in MME mode. It works fine with a cable in MME mode tho.

2. MIDI Learn for virtual instruments isn't really an option if you're using it as a transport controller using the Mackie protocol (which is what I do). This is true for any control surface in Mackie mode. There are other options for controlling virtual instruments (i.e. by putting it into synth rack mode), and combining it with custom  mapping settings in MackieControl.ini.  My C4Mapper utility can help here (remember to use only the top 8 rotaries):

image.thumb.png.e9c7b83d8be39a396d12aa53e393309e.png

image.png.fe42fdc637e5ce3af8b7b59ab6bf8d57.png
 Alternatively, consider getting something like a nanoKONTROL 2 or Akai midimix to run along side it, so you can use the nK Studio for your transport, and the other controller for VSTi's via ACT Learn.  If using the nanoKONTROL 2 for ACT, it should be set to just send out CC's (While pressing and holding down the SET MARKER and CYCLE buttons, connect the USB cable from your computer to the nanoKONTROL2 and engage CC mode).

3. You can get both transport control and VST learn if you use ACT, but it's one-way  - so the lit buttons on the nanoKONTROL Studio won't light up to reflect the track MSR statuses within CbB.  In this case the nanoKONTROL Studio needs to be in Assignable mode (hold down Scene and Cycle buttons, turn the nanoKONTROL Studio on to set it to assignable mode).  You can use the Korg editor to assign CC's, the use the NK Studio's Scenes functionality to switch between the CC's used for transport, and the CC's used to control VST's... just make sure the CC's you assign for each scene are different so they don't get mixed up.

4. Finally, if you are using the nanoKONTROL in Mackie mode, make sure you:
-   put it into SONAR mode  ( turn on the nanoKONTROL Studio while holding down the Scene and Fast Forward buttons )
-   use the Korg KONTROL editor software to configure the Scene button as Scrub
-   Configure your Mackie Control settings as following:

image.png.20f84fbc3a2b2a53d1dc7deebb85fc61.png

... more details here:  http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.41.html

hello dont mean to hijack this thread but i have 

a behringer x touch mini that i want to use only to manipulate vst eq/compressor etc 

(not synths) but my problem is i can get it to work initially but

after a short period of time it ceases to work.

i have tried everything i can think of and spent many days /nights trying to figure it out 

but with no success and i have given up on it....

but im wondering if your c4 mapper will be of use to me?

is this what its designed to do...

all i want is the 8 rotary pots to control vst plugs ..i dont care about transport

looping or anything else.

thanks

Edited by Bassfaceus

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I use the nanoKONTROL Studio on my dev machine pretty much daily.  I can't recommend it enough to be honest... it's a great controller.

A few points to consider though:

1. Bluetooth only works in UWP mode, which may be an issue if you've other MIDI devices that need to run in MME mode. It works fine with a cable in MME mode tho.

2. MIDI Learn for virtual instruments isn't really an option if you're using it as a transport controller using the Mackie protocol (which is what I do). This is true for any control surface in Mackie mode. There are other options for controlling virtual instruments (i.e. by putting it into synth rack mode), and combining it with custom  mapping settings in MackieControl.ini.  My C4Mapper utility can help here (remember to use only the top 8 rotaries):

image.thumb.png.e9c7b83d8be39a396d12aa53e393309e.png

image.png.fe42fdc637e5ce3af8b7b59ab6bf8d57.png
 Alternatively, consider getting something like a nanoKONTROL 2 or Akai midimix to run along side it, so you can use the nK Studio for your transport, and the other controller for VSTi's via ACT Learn.  If using the nanoKONTROL 2 for ACT, it should be set to just send out CC's (While pressing and holding down the SET MARKER and CYCLE buttons, connect the USB cable from your computer to the nanoKONTROL2 and engage CC mode).

3. You can get both transport control and VST learn if you use ACT, but it's one-way  - so the lit buttons on the nanoKONTROL Studio won't light up to reflect the track MSR statuses within CbB.  In this case the nanoKONTROL Studio needs to be in Assignable mode (hold down Scene and Cycle buttons, turn the nanoKONTROL Studio on to set it to assignable mode).  You can use the Korg editor to assign CC's, the use the NK Studio's Scenes functionality to switch between the CC's used for transport, and the CC's used to control VST's... just make sure the CC's you assign for each scene are different so they don't get mixed up.

4. Finally, if you are using the nanoKONTROL in Mackie mode, make sure you:
-   put it into SONAR mode  ( turn on the nanoKONTROL Studio while holding down the Scene and Fast Forward buttons )
-   use the Korg KONTROL editor software to configure the Scene button as Scrub
-   Configure your Mackie Control settings as following:

image.png.20f84fbc3a2b2a53d1dc7deebb85fc61.png

... more details here:  http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.41.html

Thank you so much for the great info. Lots to digest here as I’m relatively new to the world of MIDI, where there’s lots to learn. So, the most direct route to controlling both DAW functions AND plug-in/synth parameters is to have a separate control surface specifically dedicated to each?

Assuming I get things working, and am able to assign knobs and such on the Control surface to plug-in/synth parameters (say, to Waves Abbey Road Saturator or a Kontakt instrument) will the controller remember that when I use those again, or do you have to “MIDI relearn” parameters every time? do the controllers remember MIDI control assignments per plug-in/synth? Thanks again!

8 hours ago, Billy86 said:

Thank you so much for the great info. Lots to digest here as I’m relatively new to the world of MIDI, where there’s lots to learn. So, the most direct route to controlling both DAW functions AND plug-in/synth parameters is to have a separate control surface specifically dedicated to each?

I wouldn't say it's the most direct route, it's just a different one.  To summarise:

• If you're using Mackie mode, you get full transport control and two way communication between Cakewalk and your control surface. That means, all the Mute/Solo/Record Arm/Select buttons (as well as the transport buttons) light up to reflect what is on the tracks in Cakewalk.  The downside is, you can't use the control surface for ACT MIDI learn - instead you need to set up plugin mappings externally (either by editing MackieControl.ini, or using C4Mapper to do this for you). 
  • If you're using the nanoKONTROL Studio in assignment mode, you can control both transport and use ACT MIDI Learn for VST's.  But the communication is one way: the controller sends the values to Cakewalk, but there's no visual feedback on your control surface.

Having a separate controller allows you to use Mackie mode for your nanoKONTROL Studio, and the separate one for ACT MIDI Learn for VST's.

8 hours ago, Billy86 said:

Assuming I get things working, and am able to assign knobs and such on the Control surface to plug-in/synth parameters (say, to Waves Abbey Road Saturator or a Kontakt instrument) will the controller remember that when I use those again, or do you have to “MIDI relearn” parameters every time? do the controllers remember MIDI control assignments per plug-in/synth? Thanks again!

Yes, you can assign them, and they are remembered.   

If you're using Mackie mode, the mappings are stored in MackieControl.ini which is loaded on startup. This means you have to pre-assign them before your start Cakewalk (e.g. using C4Mapper). 

If you're using ACT MIDI Learn, you can add/change parameters on the fly and they'll be remembered for that VST/VSTi.

Here's a couple of videos that explain it pretty well:

Using ACT MIDI Learn on VST's : https://youtu.be/UK24ySULnf0

Using ACT for transport/fader control:  https://youtu.be/ObsW0t5FnzM

On 12/12/2020 at 5:26 PM, msmcleod said:

I wouldn't say it's the most direct route, it's just a different one.  To summarise:

• If you're using Mackie mode, you get full transport control and two way communication between Cakewalk and your control surface. That means, all the Mute/Solo/Record Arm/Select buttons (as well as the transport buttons) light up to reflect what is on the tracks in Cakewalk.  The downside is, you can't use the control surface for ACT MIDI learn - instead you need to set up plugin mappings externally (either by editing MackieControl.ini, or using C4Mapper to do this for you). 
  • If you're using the nanoKONTROL Studio in assignment mode, you can control both transport and use ACT MIDI Learn for VST's.  But the communication is one way: the controller sends the values to Cakewalk, but there's no visual feedback on your control surface.

Having a separate controller allows you to use Mackie mode for your nanoKONTROL Studio, and the separate one for ACT MIDI Learn for VST's.

Yes, you can assign them, and they are remembered.   

If you're using Mackie mode, the mappings are stored in MackieControl.ini which is loaded on startup. This means you have to pre-assign them before your start Cakewalk (e.g. using C4Mapper). 

If you're using ACT MIDI Learn, you can add/change parameters on the fly and they'll be remembered for that VST/VSTi.

Here's a couple of videos that explain it pretty well:

Using ACT MIDI Learn on VST's : https://youtu.be/UK24ySULnf0

Using ACT for transport/fader control:  https://youtu.be/ObsW0t5FnzM

Just ordered my Korg NanoKontrol Studio to get my feet wet with using it. I'll definitely be referring  back to this super helpful information, and I'll check out your Mapper utility. Thanks so much! My if/then thinking is in for a workout! :)

On 12/12/2020 at 5:26 PM, msmcleod said:
  • If you're using the nanoKONTROL Studio in assignment mode, you can control both transport and use ACT MIDI Learn for VST's.  But the communication is one way: the controller sends the values to Cakewalk, but there's no visual feedback on your control surface

Mark, since you are the nanoKONTROL wizard, I hope you can answer this.

I have a nanoKONTROL 2, which is mostly relegated to "start and stop recording when I'm at the drum kit" duty, and sometimes when I want to close my eyes and work a fader.

I'd like to be able to control plug-ins with the knobby-slidery bits while still being able to control the transport with the buttony-arrowy bits.

Is there a way to do this, and if so, how? I'm willing to manually map controls for individual plug-ins rather than using a learn mode. It's only a handful of plug-ins I want to do this with.