getting WRK track sound on Cakewalk

David Debertin

I have a big pile of music that I step entered using various old versions of Cakewalk over a 10 year period of my life. Many of these files I made into MID files years ago using an old disk version of Cakewalk, but many never got converted.

I am just getting back to this after years of simply storing the old files.

I can load a file into the new Bandlab version of Cakewalk with a MID extension and the file plays fine as a new Cakewalk project.

But when I try to load a file with a WRK extension, Cakewalk seems fine and the file appears to load and play and even notes an instrument it is using, but no sound comes out.

There must be a trick to this of some sort to get a WRK track to play sound.  I have Cakewalk by Bandlab installed on my Win 10 laptop and I also installed the 4 add-on programs

Can anyone help me? Where did I mess up?

BLCKBIR2.WRK

3 hours ago, David Debertin said:

I'm still stumped. can anyone  get a track like the attached file to actually play sounds? And if so how?  

Use the Synth Rack to load a synth in this case TTS1 will be best. Make sure the output of the MIDI track/s is/are going to the TTS1 input. You do this as if you are working with audio. Its the same for MIDI except instead of having the MIDI going to an audio out you want it to go to a synth to trigger it for sound. That sound can then be sent to the audio out. 

Remember MIDI has no sound it is data that is sent to a VST synth or to a hardware synth to produce audio. 

Ya worked fine for me too, only difference between it and a regular midi file is it doesn't automatically insert the TTS-1 so as said, just insert the tts-1 and the file seems to play normally. 

Just double check each track is outputting to tts-1 It did this automatically for me but it might not always do this. 

I figured it out I think.

Here is what appears to work

1. use the File command to open the old WRK file

2. Immediately do a "Save As on that file using the File command

in the options choose file type MID type 1 and save the file

3. Close the file you were working on

4. Reopen a new copy of the MID file you just saved

Plays fine now. The softsynth TTS-1 pops right up

I DID actually find an old laptop running Cakewalk 8.0 that plays the WRK track directr;ly and stores as MID as well

But I will not need that now.

Thanks for all the help. I'm just starting to get back into this after quitting 20 years ago. But a lot of stuff has changed. For starters, my WRK files instruments are all set up for a Yamaha keyboard before the Roland scheme was generally adopted, and they had a totally different idea on drums.  But other voices are different as well...

Now I am using some of the tracks I made to accompany photo videos, and I have to convert the mid files into mp3.  But there is a free on line program that does a good job on that.

I was going to add after I noticed that Cakewalk did not automatically insert TTS-1 that all you would need to do is open the file and then "save as" to a midi filer and then open that and TTS_1 would automatically load, But then it was faster to just insert it. 

Why are you using mp3? Why not use wave? 

There is a Yamaha drum map somewhere in the cakewalk stuff. 

My Photo Story 3 program likes mp3 files to accompant the video. I step entered the background music from sheet music in Cakewalk maybe 30 years ago  see the current results here 

Here is what appears to work

1. use the File command to open the old WRK file

2. Immediately do a "Save As on that file using the File command

in the options choose file type MID type 1 and save the file

3. Close the file you were working on

4. Reopen a new copy of the MID file you just saved

Plays fine now. The softsynth TTS-1 pops right up

I DID actually find an old laptop running Cakewalk 8.0 that plays the WRK track directr;ly and stores as MID as well

But I will not need that now.

21 hours ago, David Debertin said:

Now I am using some of the tracks I made to accompany photo videos, and I have to convert the mid files into mp3.  But there is a free on line program that does a good job on that.

Once you get the file sounding the way you want in Cakewalk using TTS-1 and any other soft synths, File > Export > Audio can create the mp3's for you.

14 hours ago, David Debertin said:

Thanks for sharing the 30 year old video. I moved from Colorado to Florida 35 years ago and have been really enjoying the snow (lack of) in Florida ever since. Once in a while I do miss snow this time of the year and your video cured me.🤣