new Kuassa Clarent amp (Orange)

filo

I was planning on picking up some Kuassa stuff this season but got distracted on other bargains. I really enjoy the sound and simplicity of A360.  I also like that I won't have to sell my first born when I'm ready to pick up more of their stuff...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

I'm the only one who cares about this lol

Not the only one ;)

I have tried I think all amp sims on the market and have found the Kuassa amps most suitable for me (sound/CPU/price).
I don't need extra hi-gain stuff so I have bought  Caliburn and Matchlock at first and a new Clarent is on my radar already in my arsenal too.  I'm not a huge fan of their cab sim but external IR works very well.

One interesting KVR comment about Clarent from their factory player Dimi:

One good practice is to keep your master at moderate level. The tone stack is more responsive and not buried by the saturation of the power amp section. It works like in the real world. Also too much pre-amp gain will affect how the tone stack works.
The brightness of the amps is not a hard thing. Play with the mics position and keep it more to the center of the cone.

Edited by filo
  • Like 3

I use Kuassa amps and pedals, I like them, mainly for a clean or light distortion sound. Only one thing bugs me about them, the way they show up in my DAW with Amplifikation and Efektor in front of the name, I can't see which amp or pedal it is because those terms take up all the room in my FX slots. This is really annoying, means I have to click to find out what it is. I have complained to them directly about it but got no reply. Kuassa is such a cool name, I don't know why they don't use that instead. It also looks amateurish "Amplifikation Vermillion" instead of something like "Kuassa V" or "Efektor CH3604" instead of "Kuassa Chorus". So irritating.

It does affect whether I use them because something like "S-Gear"  or "Guitar Rig" fits so nicely in my DAW FX slots and it's so easy to know what it is and where to find it. That's the other thing, the pedals and amps install under different categories in Cubase, Vermillion installs under "Distortion" and Matchlock installs under "Other".  It happened to me today. I was working on a song that has a number of guitar parts and came up with another simple finger picking part while playing the electric. I bought up the midi roll to transcribe the part into midi, put an electric sampler in there and then grabbed an amp. I went straight to S-Gear because it's easy to find and shows up easily in my DAW FX slots. I actually wanted to use a Kuassa amp but in the heat of the moment, with a guitar hanging on me and one hand holding that and with a number of other guitar tracks already there, I didn't want to fumble around trying to find and identify things. I might try out a Kuassa amp on the material later.

I wouldn't get the Clarent amp (I might try it) but that is only because I don't have a guitar that I think would be good for it, I use a fender strat with low output pickups.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Tezza said:

I use Kuassa amps and pedals, I like them, mainly for a clean or light distortion sound. Only one thing bugs me about them, the way they show up in my DAW with Amplifikation and Efektor in front of the name, I can't see which amp or pedal it is because those terms take up all the room in my FX slots. This is really annoying, means I have to click to find out what it is. I have complained to them directly about it but got no reply. Kuassa is such a cool name, I don't know why they don't use that instead. It also looks amateurish "Amplifikation Vermillion" instead of something like "Kuassa V" or "Efektor CH3604" instead of "Kuassa Chorus". So irritating.

It does affect whether I use them because something like "S-Gear"  or "Guitar Rig" fits so nicely in my DAW FX slots and it's so easy to know what it is and where to find it. That's the other thing, the pedals and amps install under different categories in Cubase, Vermillion installs under "Distortion" and Matchlock installs under "Other".  It happened to me today. I was working on a song that has a number of guitar parts and came up with another simple finger picking part while playing the electric. I bought up the midi roll to transcribe the part into midi, put an electric sampler in there and then grabbed an amp. I went straight to S-Gear because it's easy to find and shows up easily in my DAW FX slots. I actually wanted to use a Kuassa amp but in the heat of the moment, with a guitar hanging on me and one hand holding that and with a number of other guitar tracks already there, I didn't want to fumble around trying to find and identify things. I might try out a Kuassa amp on the material later.

I wouldn't get the Clarent amp (I might try it) but that is only because I don't have a guitar that I think would be good for it, I use a fender strat with low output pickups.

When you say "directly", was it to support? I wonder if you'd have better luck on the KVR forum? I've seen him reply there a few times at least.  I'd think your request would be super helpful and add a huge part to their usability.  I mean, they've done the hard part - getting a good sound and making the VST user friendly. Now it's just a matter of renaming it to make it more readily accessible!

Edited by mibby
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Tezza said:

I went straight to S-Gear because it's easy to find and shows up easily in my DAW FX slots. I actually wanted to use a Kuassa amp but in the heat of the moment, with a guitar hanging on me and one hand holding that and with a number of other guitar tracks already there, I didn't want to fumble around trying to find and identify things.

Go to the KVR forum for Kuassa and tell them this story. Explain it like you did here. Devs want to know about actual case use. They get so caught up in programming that they have a tendency not to see the forest because of the trees.  This maybe because of a little known vst spec in the code that they are not aware of. It also maybe something to do with you DAW that they are unaware of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That KVR forum is pretty big, I am not a member there but I have read posts there. At first glance, I didn't see the developers listed, I joined and posted a similar post to the one I posted here. I don't hold out much hope about anything being changed though because they have invested so much into these Amplifikation and Efektor names.

• Like 1

I think the response by Dimi was more of a polite, generic response "Thanks for the comment and the suggestion! I will forward it to the development team". He will most likely pass it on, but as I said before, they would have to change a lot to incorporate the suggestion. I cannot see them prioritizing this issue, so I don't hold out much hope that anything will change. It might get some more support on the KVR forum, see what happens.

Thanks for voting it up on the kVR forum!

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 11:38 AM, Tezza said:

Only one thing bugs me about them, the way they show up in my DAW with Amplifikation and Efektor in front of the name, I can't see which amp or pedal it is because those terms take up all the room in my FX slots.

I do not understand why CbB does not show the name from the personal plugin layout in the FX slots! ☹️

This is especially annoying when you have the same plugin in multiple versions or as you said different plugins with the same prefix. Choosing the plugin is fine, but afterwards you cannot see it quickly! Concerning long plugin names Kuassa is not the only example! Therefore it would be cool if it was changable in the DAW(s)!

• Great Idea 1