When the Muses Call-Original

Johnbee58

Recorded with CbB featuring Toontrack EZ Drummer 2 & EZ Keys, Trilian Bass, Session Strings Pro 2,  Xpand2 and DX7V synths (I think I got everything).

Dedicated to and about the 9 Muses who, according to Greek mythology, are where all musical and artistic creativity comes from.

I hope all are well and surviving the pandemic.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14152928

😀 John B

• Like 5

John, this is terrific!  Very sophisticated, cool jazz with an amazing vocal performance that has a place in the Steely Dan neighborhood.  Your mix is well panned and arranged.  I don't know of anybody who could have done it better.  The lyrics are very nice, too.  Nice going!

• Thanks 1

Yes, Steely Dan was the first thing that came to mind too. I've always tried to write a Dan song but have never come close.  Very cool song.  I was thinking that doubling your vocals on parts of it might sound good, kind of thicken it up a little to emphasize the chorus maybe.

• Thanks 1

John . . . this is very good, enjoyed it beginning to end . . . and, I think it also speaks to me very personally, especially as a songwriter. There is zero mud, you have a recording that sounds very clear to my ears. Well done ! You've been away for a while . . . PLEASE STAY, write some more and post them right here for us.

• Thanks 1

That was very cool, very Dan-like, a total compliment in my opinion - the mix is very clear, I like the string pad that floats in the background at times, and the bass poppin stuff really adds as well. You might consider as suggested above doubling the vocal in spots, maybe the choruses? That would add a whole 'nuther level of polish to this. Well done!

Your chord progressions are killer!

cheers,

-Tom

Edited by emeraldsoul
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2020 at 1:52 PM, Douglas Kirby said:

I really liked the jazzy vibe of this song - a really cool groove to this one. The bass in this sounds great - good job there.

I thought the mix was excellent - sounded quit nice to my ears.

Thank you, Doug!

😀 John B

good recording  job.record your voice a second time to give ya a meater quality and some parts need to recorded again as their not in pitch when it comes to higher notes.

another choice would be to add an octave 12 notes down to give more body.love those jazz chords.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jack c. said:

good recording  job.record your voice a second time to give ya a meater quality and some parts need to recorded again as their not in pitch when it comes to higher notes.

another choice would be to add an octave 12 notes down to give more body.love those jazz chords.

Thanks for your feedback, Jack.

😀 John B

• 2 weeks later...