Adjusting The Meters In The Audio Track

Dean

Question

I would like to adjust the meters in an audio track from my Korg keyboard.  I can adjust it with the "master Volume" on the Korg, but it doesn't go high enough.  In the track I went to "Options" then "meter options" and tried the settings there.  No change in the meter.  In the "record, playback and bus meter options" the settins are -60db.  Am I even in the right place?  

Thanks

I just re-read this whole thread and if you translate some of incorrect terminology the OP is using you can sort out that the correct answer was to either switch to the 1/2 inputs or  try the PAD toggle found in the Software mixer or add a mixer ( preamp) ahead of 3/4.   

This was a Gain Staging  issue and not anything to do with meters other than they were visually reporting the low level. 

I posted a diagram of the common way to hook the system up and OP has said this was what they were doing so we can rule that out. So this from the beginning was a simple matter of the Korg's output signal is a bit low for the 3/4 inputs on the rear of the 4i4. If the 4i4 is the same as my 6i6 this will be true unless you toggle the PAD button.  The 3/4 inputs are line level and best driven by a small mixer or pre amp but you might get a hotter signal by trying the PAD button in the Control software.  

So the OP's question if it had correctly read "  audio track levels are too low " there would have been an answer within a few posts. All the talk about meters and midi cables only confused the issue.  

Oh and someone way back said " see that big Gain Knob?" that is incorrect, the big Knob is not a gain but a monitoring level control. There are no Gain knobs for inputs 3/4. Everything is done internally with software. Not sure about gain.  The 4i4 as uses "Control"  software to activate Pads and the Air etc. features., this is why there are no buttons on the front just indicators.   ( I just read the entire user manual because I might end up with the 8i6) 

175312230_download(1).jpg.d03d1c101c072d6d0eadd72c319e43ff.jpg

Edited by John Vere
New information

On 12/26/2020 at 9:10 AM, John Vere said:

I just re-read this whole thread and if you translate some of incorrect terminology the OP is using you can sort out that the correct answer was to either switch to the 1/2 inputs or  try the PAD toggle found in the Software mixer or add a mixer ( preamp) ahead of 3/4.   

This was a Gain Staging  issue and not anything to do with meters other than they were visually reporting the low level. 

I posted a diagram of the common way to hook the system up and OP has said this was what they were doing so we can rule that out. So this from the beginning was a simple matter of the Korg's output signal is a bit low for the 3/4 inputs on the rear of the 4i4. If the 4i4 is the same as my 6i6 this will be true unless you toggle the PAD button.  The 3/4 inputs are line level and best driven by a small mixer or pre amp but you might get a hotter signal by trying the PAD button in the Control software.  

So the OP's question if it had correctly read "  audio track levels are too low " there would have been an answer within a few posts. All the talk about meters and midi cables only confused the issue.  

Oh and someone way back said " see that big Gain Knob?" that is incorrect, the big Knob is not a gain but a monitoring level control. There are no Gain knobs for inputs 3/4. Everything is done internally with software. Not sure about gain.  The 4i4 as uses "Control"  software to activate Pads and the Air etc. features., this is why there are no buttons on the front just indicators.   ( I just read the entire user manual because I might end up with the 8i6) 

175312230_download(1).jpg.d03d1c101c072d6d0eadd72c319e43ff.jpg

Thanks for the responses!  I like to think about them and make sure I understand what I can of them before responding. 

This is a gain issue and if I knew the terminology it would have saved a lot of posts.  By going from custom to all and seeing the rest of the view of the track options probably would have avoided things.   I tried plugging into 1/2 and the volume was lower than 3/4

I don't know what a PAD is.  And I'm assuming OP is me.  

Are you using the Control software ? This might be the heart of the matter. There are all the settings you need including the PAD.  The PAD is a toggle to change input sensitivity so if your mike is too hot you engage a PAD to lower the signal. All mixing board have them. She this is it. People who have never used standard audio equipment will easily be lost in the terminology we use. 

4 hours ago, John Vere said:

Are you using the Control software ? This might be the heart of the matter. There are all the settings you need including the PAD.  The PAD is a toggle to change input sensitivity so if your mike is too hot you engage a PAD to lower the signal. All mixing board have them. She this is it. People who have never used standard audio equipment will easily be lost in the terminology we use. 

I've got the 2i2, 6i6 & 18i20.  The 6i6 & 18i20 share the same control software ( Scarlett MixControl for rev.1 units )

The 2i2 doesn't use any control software though.  Buffer size & sampling frequency are controlled via the tray icon - all other controls are on the unit itself.

yes and look like you haven’t used it yet as nothing is really set up. Watch the video to learn. 

@msmcleod

The mix control is from gen 1&2  
gen 3 uses a new software called just Control. The 4i4 is first in the line that uses it. Units below 4i4 don’t use it 

I was and still may purchase an 8i6 so I watched the video and read the manual. Good way to really see what your getting. To bad I didn’t do that with the Motu. 
basically  they removed a few buttons from the front panel and put them in the software. I’d rather have real buttons but I guess it keeps the cost down. There are idiot lights on the front to show what has been toggled at least 

@Dean you really should read all documents that come with any hardware you purchase it’s complicated stuff but is usually clearly explained in the manual 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies!  I did log into the Focusrite account page

I did open up the other two links and have some learning to do thank you.  

I am able to hear the correct sounds on the Korg keyboard using an audio track.

I am going to try using a mic to see how that goes.  So after a month or so I decided to try again.  Progress!

When I try to record MIDI from my Korg EX I see the sound meters go up and down when pressing a key but no sound.  It used to make a sound.  So what I do is start cakewalk.  Select a new basic file.  Click on insert and chose  a MIDI track.  I select all and pull down the bottom line on the MIDI track to show the six lines of options on the track.  I turn the record button on.  I make sure the tape monitor switch is on.  Then I click on the record button and record something.  The screen is set to console at the bottom.  And in the track are the notes or bars that are recorded but no sound.  Input is set to 3-Focusrite-USB-MIDI and the output is set to 1-3 Focusrite USB MIDI.  I have checked all my cables to make sure they are plugged in.  I have my stereo set to aux and speakers to A.  I can play a file in Cakewalk.  I can record and play with a microphone.  I can play a CD if I turn the tape monitor switch off.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks