Midi Event List View

Mike Skrakowski

Question

10 answers to this question

HI:)

Normally it's Alt + 8 to open the Event List View. If you have selected a Midi/Instrument Track or a Midi Clip and it doesn't open then

the Problem is the answer of Scook;)  (You have been faster!)

or

The Event List is opened in the Multidock and the Multidock is closed, then open it by pressing "D" or make it bigger by hitting "Shift + D"

Greetz;)

Bassman.

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

I don’t understand? The views menu has everything. If it isn’t in my workspace it’s in the views menu.  Have people abandoned the basic windows navigation system. 

What don't you understand? (I hope the source of your confusion wasn't my link to another post I did earlier today. If it was, I can easily withdraw it.)

UPDATE: Based on the flow of this thread, I have opted to address what might be the source of your confusion.  For a while the factory supplied Basic Workspace didn't have the Event List enabled.  So there are several threads where people asked, "Where is it?" Also, there are many replies advising changing the Workspace (choosing a non-Basic Workspace, editing the Basic Workspace and resaving it, etc.).

As best as I can tell around January 2021, the Event List was added to the factory supplied Basic Workspace.

image.png.469829457e03253ae54f07ded74fe346.png

JMO: As a long time Cakewalk user, I think the Event List is as basic as you can get for editing MIDI data, but I can understand how it might have been excluded in the first place.

If my link to another thread as well as other related threads confused you, I hope this explanation remedies that.  If the source of your confusion was not my link, maybe someone else can help you out.

Edited by User 905133
(2) to add an update; (1) to fix a typo

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

So is what happened was at some point was the Event List removed from the Views list? 
I use it often and it’s always been on the views list. 

Close, but not totally accurate: In brief, it was not included in CbB's Basic Workspace until recently (from what I have seen).

As I understand it, the last line of Sonar products used to have Lenses. After a while Lenses became Workspaces  in CbB.  There have been on-going improvements (IMO) to Workspaces.  Installations and Updates to CbB have factory Workspaces (Basic --> Advanced).  

The factory-supplied Workspaces have changed on occasion--tweaks for the better, IMO. From what I have seen the devs take into account feedback on the forum.  For example, at one point the Basic Workspace was tweaked I suspect to make it easier on newcomers who were overwhelmed by the huge learning curve.  Somewhere along the line, when the Basic Workspace was packaged for installation, it erroneously had a specific factory theme installed.  Since this was unintended from what I read, the correct Basic Workspace was packaged in a later update/installation.

As for the Event List being missing, ever since I started using CbB and Workspaces, the Basic Workspace excluded the Event List.  

I don't know if this was an oversight or what, but from what I have seen many users have observed/complained about it being missing.  For at least a year, the best advice for getting the Event List back (IMO) was "Don't use the Basic Workspace." However as of now, its back!!!!!!!!  🙂 

. . . it’s always been on the views list. 

If you never used the Basic Workspace (or a custom Workspace that excluded the Event List), your comment is 100% true. So you and many others were genuinely confused by people who couldn't find the Views > Event List. (That's what I suspected was the source of confusion when I asked earlier.)

So is what happened was at some point was the Event List removed from the Views list? 

To clarify about the beauty of customized Workspaces (unless its been changed and I didn't notice it yet):

All functionality for features excluded from specific Workspaces (personal / customized or factory supplied) doesn't work--shortcut / key-bindings, menu items, etc.  (unless I missed some changes in Workspaces).

image.png

Edited by User 905133
(2) to underline a few key sentences-- kind of like a summary; (1) to make image smaller
  • Like 1

Thanks for clarification. I have been lazy since workspaces came out and never looked any deeper than the Advanced workspace seemed fine for me. I will be exploring deeper soon.  

To see what's up I just opened Cakewalk version 098 and chose Basic workspace. Yep lots of stuff missing but Events list was there, I have 2 computers with 098 and both were the same. 

My Main DAW, however, say's version 099? I think that was the early access version.  But Event list is missing from the the Basic workspace View list in that version. I Updated even though that  seems wrong, and now the event list is on the view list. 

• Like 1