Immediate clearing of audio buffer

Michal Ochedowski

Hello. I have a problem with Cakewalk and MIDI playback. 

Short description of my setup: 1 MIDI track with pre-recorded chords and 1 Instrument track with Vember Surge. Surge is receiving data from MIDI track. When I press PLAY everything works fine, no audio dropouts etc. When I press STOP I hear a very short stutter and all processing from Surge stops immediately. This includes built-in effects which belong to Surge's patch e.g. delay, reverb etc. 

I created the same setup in Reaper. When I press STOP, I can still hear audio fading out. Delays and reverbs can also be heard. 

Is there a setting in Cakewalk that would allow synthesizer patches play-out their ADSR envelopes and effects, without stopping them so abruptly? 

3 hours ago, Michal Ochedowski said:

Is there a setting in Cakewalk that would allow synthesizer patches play-out their ADSR envelopes and effects, without stopping them so abruptly?

Well gosh willy, there is just a setting. Its in the preference menu and its called 'Play effect tails' or something very close to it

47 minutes ago, scook said:

I believe you may be thinking of Always Stream Audio Through FX

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x22B19

I always keep above-mentioned option switched ON. That's not what I meant though. I did mention Surge's built-in effects, which do no fall into the same category as FX chains in Cakewalk. 

For a minute I thought that problem was caused by option "On Stop, Rewind to Now Marker" which I also have switched ON. Unfortunately I didn't make any difference in performance. 

I tried using AIR Music Technology Hybrid and Ichiro Toda Synth1. They also cause the same short stutter when I press STOP. I'm sure it has to be a Cakewalk issue. 

Ok I found the issue. I had no idea that updating Cakewalk to newer version can affect my Preferences. Luckily I keep notes of all the changes I made compared to default state. 

First of all I realized that audio stuttered on STOP command even when I played a single .wav file. So I went to Audio / Playback and Recording. I noticed that Fade On Start, Fade On Stop were back to 0. Previously I had them custom-set to 1 millisecond. After that small change no more stutter when I STOP playback. 

I tried several plug-ins too.

I have the fade settings set to the default 0.

Surge VST3 v1.7.1 built 2020-08-02 stops when the transport stops

The following all continuing playing when the transport stops

Rapture VST2 v1.22

CA2600 VST3 v1..0.20

MTron Pro vVst2 v3.0.2.0

Loom II VST2 v2.0.0.80

Synthmaster VST2 v2.9.9

Changing the fade setting in Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording did not change the behavior. I tried 1 and 5ms.

• Like 2