I need some help with my Focusrite 2i4

Mesh

On headphones, my Focusrite 2i4 (1st generation) is only playing through the left side. Of note, I've generally had to manually move the headphone jack slightly (could hear a little static noises doing so) to get it in stereo and it stays in stereo after that. Now, nothing has worked. It works in stereo on my main monitors, but I primarily use the headphones. 

Any tips on fixing this or would I need to buy a new interface?

Hi Bill, good to see you too....wish I can access this place during work hours, but can't on IE.

I'm hoping I don't have to get new headphones.....I love my Ultrasone 750's (they don't make em anymore). I can remove the cable and try replacing that. 

How have you been?

Nice sunburst addition you got there!! That's a dream for me.... 

11 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

Hi Mesh :)

Can you not borrow some headphones with a quarter jack just to make sure that it is your headphones are broken?

Or have you tried your headphones in another device? I t could be the socket on your focusrite...

Hi Andy 🙂,

Yeah I'm looking for another pair of headphones to test this and thanks for the good tips.

Hope all is well with you.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Yes!  I CAN actually help with this!

First off, you'll need to get yourself some of this (if you don't have some already):

image.png.8caaa044081b28e22c499a6ac20203a7.png

Next, make a small strip about 1.5" by 3" then roll it up (with the grit on the outside dummy!😀) so that you end up with something about the thickness of a pencil by 1.5" long.  You can use this to gently clean out any type of audio jack.   I would periodically use this on all my gear that had a female TS or TRS jack.  Follow this with a quick blast of canned air and you should be good to go!

Edited by craigb
Why do we have to use Reason for editing on a Cakewalk forum???
  • Like 2

I wonder how this one turned out . My 2i4 has the same exact problem . Everything is fine except for the headphone jack .My right side cuts out.

After Jiggling it around  for a while it does work ...sure don't inspire confidence and the whole process is a Real Muse Kill.

Hope you fare better ,

Kenny

Update: I tried using the Wetordry sandpaper and it didn't work. Then I tried my old Line6 Toneport DI box and got the same problem with only the left channel working. I also switched the cable on my Ultrasone 750 H-phones.....same result (only left channel). So, it's NOT my Focusrite box that causing this and seems to be within the right channel on the headphones.

Will try to open it up and see if something needs to be soldiered. I love these headphones (even though they're discontinued) and would hate to replace them....hopefully, there's a fix for it. :( 

Good luck Mesh! It's hard giving up what you're used to. I still have my sennheiser headphones which are quite old now. I can't imagine having to get new ones but I know that day is coming. If you do have to get new ones I hope you're not shell shocked over the prices nowadays.  I say get what you need and go from there but hopefully you can fix them

4 hours ago, Mesh said:

Update: I tried using the Wetordry sandpaper and it didn't work. Then I tried my old Line6 Toneport DI box and got the same problem with only the left channel working. I also switched the cable on my Ultrasone 750 H-phones.....same result (only left channel). So, it's NOT my Focusrite box that causing this and seems to be within the right channel on the headphones.

Will try to open it up and see if something needs to be soldiered. I love these headphones (even though they're discontinued) and would hate to replace them....hopefully, there's a fix for it:( 

Start a new sub-genre of mono-only music? 😉😀

Ok, on to the next "real" answer.  You should be able to unscrew the shield around the TRS.  Look to see if maybe the cable to the right channel (typically the ring) has broken.  Then you can get it soldered back on (or take it somewhere to have them do it).  Worst case, take it to an electronics repair place and have them replace the entire cable.

image.png.8013aab17a0a037c7103243f33487809.png

My issue with some of my older headphones isn't cable related, but the earpiece covers have all aged and are crumbling.  I wore one set and ended up with dozens of small black pieces stuck to my head afterwards - *bleh!*  On some you can actually order replacement ear cushions and covers but mine, like yours, are discontinued so good luck with that!

Edited by craigb
Why do we have to use Reason for editing on a Cakewalk forum???

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Start a new sub-genre of mono-only music? 😉😀

Ok, on to the next "real" answer.  You should be able to unscrew the shield around the TRS.  Look to see if maybe the cable to the right channel (typically the ring) has broken.  Then you can get it soldered back on (or take it somewhere to have them do it).  Worst case, take it to an electronics repair place and have them replace the entire cable.

image.png.8013aab17a0a037c7103243f33487809.png

My issue with some of my older headphones isn't cable related, but the earpiece covers have all aged and are crumbling.  I wore one set and ended up with dozens of small black pieces stuck to my head afterwards - *bleh!*  On some you can actually order replacement ear cushions and covers but mine, like yours, are discontinued so good luck with that!

I don't think it's the cable as my 750's came with an extra cable (which is brand new) and that also played only in mono. I think it's inside the right channel speaker itself where something has disconnected. I probably will have to take it to an electronics repair shop....

I've tried to listen to music in mono and it totally put me off.....I don't even want to think about plugging in the guitar. There goes that sub-genre... :/

Appreciate all tips and advice....sure does help.  

A new set of headphones or fix what you have , yeah that bites .

My 2i4 is worse off than yours I think . My headphone works  fine in everything I have that takes headphones w the exception of my 2i4 .

My right channel cuts out and I think my headphone jack internally must be broker or have a loose connection. 

Kenny