Start menu bug?

Lynn Wilson

This just started happening since the latest update (2020.11 build 99).  Yesterday I worked on a song all day, and at the end of the session, I saved the song both as a project file and bundle file and closed the program.  Typically, I would expect when opening CW today, the start menu would have both files listed, but neither showed up.  This tells me that the start menu hasn't updated itself.  This happened each time I worked on a project since the last update.  Is anyone else seeing this?

Seems OK here.

Test with a simple project. IOW, create a new project, save it, close and re-open CbB.

The program may be hanging on exit. 

If this happens, the project MRU list does not get updated.

Check the Windows Task Manager after closing CbB to verify the program has shut down.

This can be plug-in related. Especially when using 32bit plug-ins.

Another cause is CbB waiting on the audio interface. Make sure the driver is current.

I have had this happen that the last project I opened and saved is not on the list. This is often when I have pulled a file from a back up drive and then save as to my working disk. Otherwise if I use my working drive the songs always seem to stay on the list. Interesting thought about the 32 bit plug in  issue Steve, I'll have to pay attention to that as a lot of these older projects will contain 32 bit plug ins. 

Thanks guys for your response.  Steve, I tried it with a new project, saved it, closed CW, and when I reopened CW the new project was there.  It must be a plug-in causing this behavior, perhaps a Waves plug.  They have been somewhat problematic lately in other regards.  I've dropped all my 32 bit vst's, so I know it's not that.  Even though the start menu has been acting up, my last projects always show up under the file tab, so it's not crippling.

That is odd. 

I would expect the files to be missing from the menu too. That list comes directly from the registry.

This means CbB is shutting down properly.

The start menu data may be corrupted.

Delete "%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\StartPageCache" and the next time CbB starts up the start page will rebuild the folder and its content.  After this, it should be in sync with the File menu.

Maybe what Lynn was saying is he was going to the file menu and browse to the folder, not the quick list. This would explain the syncing issue. 

I only use the quick list under the  file menu, I disabled the start page. To me it's just a flashy looking quick start list.