Waves Plugin for $5

Sander Verstraten

Just now, Fret Flintstone said:

Yes, you show your education in pretty much every WAVES thread I see 🤣

WOAH!!! a whole 35? . . . 😁

Yep, they give out quite a few free ones over the years.

I've moved away from purchasing them and generally using them in projects.  Isn't worth it.

As for the number, every professional recording session I've been in uses less than 35 different types of "in the box" effects.   Its nice to have an play around with hundreds of plugins (which I have), but there are less than 35 that are actually used on every project "in the box."  

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:
2 hours ago, Fret Flintstone said:

Also the ^^'Locked to a single machine'^^ thing is bullshit, for starters any plugin you buy you get a 2nd license (sure it's only for 12 months while WUP is current, but re-WUP will fix that at the end, and it is a 2nd license) also you can install on as many machines as you like, just put your licenses on a USB drive and switch to what ever machine you like.

Keep WUP'd and you'll always have 2 licenses, most you'll pay is $240 a year, $4.61 a week, pffft.

So you throw away $240 every year, when you could just buy plugins from someone else?  

WUP provides no actual value, outside of the plugin scaling that they should have implemented years ago (and is very poorly done, I might add) they haven't provided any real updates in a long time.  Certainly nothing worth paying for each year.  The system preys on the uneducated consumer and the unreliability of their own product.

I've got my licenses on a USB stick.  Moving them to a different computer every time I want to use it is a legitimate time wasting hassle, I don't have the extra USB port on the other computer when it is actually being use for music production, so I still have to launch WAVES Central, connect to the internet, transfer the seats to the computer, shut down the computer, go about my business then reverse the whole thing to get them back on the main machine.

+1

Well said Brian.

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

I am so anti-WUP. 

Me Too Fleer but to be fair their plugins are so cheap that a WUP is usually not that expensive. My plugins have kept working so I've only done WUP on one or two for under $10 during a WUP sale. Nevertheless I would much prefer to pay upfront a good sale and get lifetime support like Melda plugins. Over time I have replaced my waves plugins for Melda and others but there are some that I haven't found a replacement for, YET(:

Although I completely understand the WUP hate and the sometimes confusing install process and issues one thing I will say about waves is that their plugins are of good quality. At least the ones that I have cherry picked over the years have been solid. I wish I could say the same for Plugin Alliance plugins. I have loved them but for reasons I have not been able to figure out, if my project gets too large then my plugin alliance plugins crash Reaper. It only happens with their plugins so I have, unfortunately, stopped using them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Haven't run a test, but when my ears hear "warm" that is usually an indicator something isn't transparent as it is coloring the sound .

The question would be how does it compare when it is off?  If it is warmer than that, well...that isn't transparency you are hearing is coloration.  

These plugins should  just be a notch filter EQ at 60z and then the corresponding harmonic frequencies.  The more transparent ones will simply isolate those key bands (and not the surrounding ones).  60z isn't really in the guitar spectrum, but the harmonic ones are.  

yeah. you are right. its just notch filter eq with different presets for different hums.

in my tests, i demoed with plugin on and off in the chain. what I thought I was hearing was, with plugins off, the amp sim sounds a certain way ( i used a Fender Super  as a test as I know really well how that amp's distortion sounds at different volume  settings).  what i thought I was hearing is with RX dehum, it changes the way the distortion sounds. Witt X-hum, if still keeps the distortion. I tested with  the 60khz and harmonics setting from both plugins.

I posted my single coil tests online in case anyone interested.  first part is no plugin. then waves, then RX, then waves, then RX. (forgive all the shait notes at the end)

Edited by telecode 101

9 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Yep, they give out quite a few free ones over the years.

I've moved away from purchasing them and generally using them in projects.  Isn't worth it.

As for the number, every professional recording session I've been in uses less than 35 different types of "in the box" effects.   Its nice to have an play around with hundreds of plugins (which I have), but there are less than 35 that are actually used on every project "in the box."  

what is the danger of using them in projects? they stop working after a few years or they just never get updated? I recently started using that dbx160 compressor.

19 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

what is the danger of using them in projects? they stop working after a few years or they just never get updated? I recently started using that dbx160 compressor.

The only time that they will stop working is if there is an OS Update that renders them inoperable.
Other than that, WUP really gets you nothing...unless you have a BIG bundle like Mercury, in which
case it gets you most plugins released by Waves for FREE (well - not free because you have to pay for the
WUP)

Edited by cclarry

2 minutes ago, cclarry said:

The only time that they will stop working is if there is an OS Update that renders them inoperable.
Other than that, WUP really gets you nothing...unless you have a BIG bundle like Mercury, in which
case it gets you most plugins released by Waves for FREE (well - not free because you have to pay for the
WUP)

thanks. well, i think i am safe. i keep my DAW OS as far behind and stable as possible.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fret Flintstone said:

Yes, you show your education in pretty much every WAVES thread I see 🤣

WOAH!!! a whole 35? . . . 😁 Hold him back!!!

Fret, just a quick reminder to try to keep things as civilized as possible in this forum.  One of the things I enjoy the most about this forum is the collegial atmosphere - there is such a wealth of knowledge here and so may members who are gracious with their time and experience.  Not to mention that we are so fortunate that @cclarry spends hours of his day posting deals for the entire community.

Waves is certainly divisive in the music community, but we don't need to bring it here.  I don't post much, but @Brian Walton seems to be a valuable member here, and his posts are helpful and respectful.  

I don't mind Waves, and actually certainly love several of the plugins (Brauer Motion is one of my favorites!).   I'm kind of bummed that I didn't get the $5 offer, as I'd like to complete my One Knob collection.  (My fellow completist @Matthew Sorrels would understand)

Brian doesn't care for Waves.  @Fleer hates WUP.  It's fine - we all have our own opinions, but that doesn't make other's opinion, thoughts, and experiences less valuable.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

WUP)

Only thing I'll add is if WAVE Central updates and you add a new pluign to the stable, or they release a new version (v13) and you update.

I had v9 plugins die when I added v10.   On one computer all v10-v12 worked fine.  THe other machine had one v12 plugin that no longer worked.

No other hardware, OS or Software changes.  Just simlply that WAVES Central and the install/authorization system is not 100% reliable.

Yes, there is no reason that they shoulnd't keep working, but I've worked with more computers than the average person and can confirm I've had a bumpy track record with WAVES that I have not had with any other plugin maker.    Any change at WAVES has some risk.

If you are on WUP they will help sort it out, if you are not, you are on your own. 

• Great Idea 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Patrick Derbidge said:

Me Too Fleer but to be fair their plugins are so cheap that a WUP is usually not that expensive. My plugins have kept working so I've only done WUP on one or two for under $10 during a WUP sale. Nevertheless I would much prefer to pay upfront a good sale and get lifetime support like Melda plugins. Over time I have replaced my waves plugins for Melda and others but there are some that I haven't found a replacement for, YET(:

Although I completely understand the WUP hate and the sometimes confusing install process and issues one thing I will say about waves is that their plugins are of good quality. At least the ones that I have cherry picked over the years have been solid. I wish I could say the same for Plugin Alliance plugins. I have loved them but for reasons I have not been able to figure out, if my project gets too large then my plugin alliance plugins crash Reaper. It only happens with their plugins so I have, unfortunately, stopped using them.

Only WAVES plugin I didn't find a reasonable replacement for is Omni-Channel.  I fully agree they have some good sounding and useful plugins.

Curious which one(s) you are clinging to?

WUP is a percentage off of the retail price not the sale price, so I've found instead of doing WUP, it makes more sense to just buy another seat for the same plugin on sale if you can't get out of the WAVES system.

4 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Only WAVES plugin I didn't find a reasonable replacement for is Omni-Channel.  I fully agree they have some good sounding and useful plugins.

Curious which one(s) you are clinging to?

WUP is a percentage off of the retail price not the sale price, so I've found instead of doing WUP, it makes more sense to just buy another seat for the same plugin on sale if you can't get out of the WAVES system.

Not many but I still like J37 and Kramer tape. I like Abbey Road Plates, Abbey Road Chambers, Scheps Omni Channel, Renaissance De-esser, Reel ADT ,NLS and F6 Floating Band Dynamic EQ.

I also like using One knob pumper for it's ease. I have others to do this but they tend to need a little massaging to avoid artifacting whereas One Knob just works.

I also use Waves Tune which I could replace with melodyne but it keeps doing its job so I haven't bothered yet.

All the replacements I've found for these that I'd be satisfied with are a bit more money than I want to spend right now so as long as my Waves plugins keep working I don't have much incentive to move on. I still use a lot of others from Waves but mostly just to change things up. I have plenty of alternatives for the ones I didn't list here.

I enjoy the Abbey Road ones, Omni Channel, SSL bundle, Maserati bundle, CLA bundle, Pianos & Keys bundle, Greg Wells bundle, Kramer TT&T bundle, even the Gold bundle. And some singles like Tune Real-Time, Brauer Motion, NLS, Scheps 73 and Parallel Particles. But I hate WUP. Man, do I hate WUP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3