Want More Money from Music? Know where music is.

maxsthaven

If you want to make money from music, you have to know where music is, that is, each place music occurs in our world, and then brainstorm on how you can get your material into those places.  This is my A to Z list; have a browse through it and see where your music fits in.  You may be surprised at how many or how few options you have for your music!

The A to Z of Songs and Music in the World Today

Air, Land, and Water Travel Entertainment

Army and Navy Morale

Children's Educational Books

Children's Toys

Concerts

Dance Studios

Documentaries

Educational Facilities

Free Online Streaming

Funerals

Hotel and Business Lobbies and Elevators

Internet Websites

Just-For-Fun  Bands

Movies

Music Therapy

National Anthems

Night Clubs

Online Music Sales

Operas

Orchestras

Personal Entertainment

Phone Apps

Phone Ring Tones and Alarms

Professional Bands

Public Facility, Shopping Malls and Stores Entertainment

Radio

Radio Commercials

Recording Studios

Research

Restaurant Entertainment

Retro Vinyl, Cassette, and CD Sales

Sports Events

TV Commercials

TV Shows

Vacation Resorts

Video Games

Weddings

Workplace Background Entertainment

Sincerely,

Maximus

• Like 1

One more thing: The music business isn’t what most people think; for example, radio stations won’t play a track just because you’re local and getting a record deal doesn’t guarantee fame.  However, getting a deal will likely put your music in most of the above list, but don’t lose heart: there’s still plenty of room in this business of music for those who self-produce/publish and the little guys.

Best thing is to realize that nobody really cares that much about music these days. There is just WAY too much out there now. Just like movies, music has lost much of its value. Now, that doesn't mean we can't enjoy making it and listening to what is out there, but making money off of it or whatever is pretty much out for the most part. There are like 10 million shitty "songs" for each good one now as there is no filter and "everyone" is a composer.  There is actually something like overabundance, even if that is not a word :) and I would argue that is where we are at.  There is just too much content. 

Anyway, there is enough great music already created to last many lifetimes so I feel rather good about it. People just don't consume music the same way anymore, I have lived through that change. I rarely see people even making it through ONE song now, before going to the next or switch to cats on youtube or facebook. Hell, even at concerts they are looking through their "%#&¤%# phones! Imagine sitting through listening to an entire album like we used to ... lol ... what a foregin concept ! :)

What some artists do is create a following and market and sell to that following: 100,000 followers with 20% of followers purchasing a new single for $2 is $40,000.  The real trick nowadays is creating the tribe that follows.  So, is the market flooded?  Yes.  But there’s money to be made; it just takes money to make money and that’s the deterent for most people.  The list simply shows the most common places where songs and music are in life.  You’d be surprised how many musicians I’ve met over the years who think their new song will get them eating pizza with AC/DC and Metallica (who are supposedly going to open for them at some magic future time) and never consider reality nor the economics of music.

10 hours ago, maxsthaven said:

What some artists do is create a following and market and sell to that following: 100,000 followers with 20% of followers purchasing a new single for $2 is $40,000.  The real trick nowadays is creating the tribe that follows.  So, is the market flooded?  Yes.  But there’s money to be made; it just takes money to make money and that’s the deterent for most people.  The list simply shows the most common places where songs and music are in life.  You’d be surprised how many musicians I’ve met over the years who think their new song will get them eating pizza with AC/DC and Metallica (who are supposedly going to open for them at some magic future time) and never consider reality nor the economics of music.

I think its a nice idea to think about the different areas where selling music might be an option, your list is great for thinking outside the box so to speak. 

Noel makes tons of money selling software to us.

Oh wait.

Well Gibson! They sell awesome guitars... Right? right? No?

I think it is possible that music has gone with the soul of the world to find help.

So, help is on the way?

You are coming from the wrong angle with your list. What you should be asking is not where music is used but where these places source it from.

The answer to the more popular uses of TV , film , advertising, video games, retail streaming etc. is they license it from Music Libraries.  Shows like the Kardashians or Catfish will use around 90 snippets of different music tracks mostly written by people in home studios like us.

Anyone can audition for a music library but the standards are high to get accepted. You mostly have to make the music for free with the promise of royalties from any placements you may get down the line.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:59 PM, craigb said:

I was going to make music for the Air Force and Marines Morale, but it's not listed

I guess the Marines have to make do with Navy Morale, or maybe they don't need extra morale, they're Marines, ooh-RAH!

But yeah, the Air Force needs morale, the Coast Guard needs morale (when it's in your job description to bust homemade submarines full of cocaine you surely need theme music).