White Christmas (Vintage)

garybrun

HI folks.
Today I had ago at recording White Christmas.
I tried to get it sounding vintage wjth UAD Chambers on my vocal and the Orchestra.
Is the vocal forward enough?

If you get time to listen please let me know what you think and what improvements can be done.
Thanks in advance.

Gary

Less Chamber on the Sound Cloud Version

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Well done Gary! 👍's

t

I must say Bing's a tough act to follow, not sure (actually I am sure, if I'm honest with myself) I'd have the cajones to tackle this one... 🙃

Sure you can mate.... go for it!
Make it your own!!

Thanks for listening.

• Great Idea 1

12 minutes ago, freddy j said:

Beautiful work Gary.  You gave Bing  a run for the money.  I love those great baritone sounds!

Thanks Freddy...  not sure about run for money.  lol.
I'm going to try again... with a little more proximity effect to get more tone.
I am trying out on my ribbon mic.

Thanks for listening and the encouragment.
Always appreciated mate.

Gary that's beautiful work my man, simply superb and you chose a very nice arrangement.

Just as I was listening to that, my outside Christmas lights flickered into life (they're on a timer, but no coincidence methinks). 

All I can say is 'more please' and when's the album coming out?

Andy

• Thanks 1

This is a good rendition of an epic track, Gary.  It takes a lot of nerve to do a song so many people are familiar with (like covering the Beatles).  So, you're using a ribbon mic?  Your voice is fabulous, so you're doing something right!  When are you coming to Nashville?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Gary that's beautiful work my man, simply superb and you chose a very nice arrangement.

Just as I was listening to that, my outside Christmas lights flickered into life (they're on a timer, but no coincidence methinks). 

All I can say is 'more please' and when's the album coming out?

Andy

Thanks so much for the encouragement Andy.

1 hour ago, Lynn Wilson said:

This is a good rendition of an epic track, Gary.  It takes a lot of nerve to do a song so many people are familiar with (like covering the Beatles).  So, you're using a ribbon mic?  Your voice is fabulous, so you're doing something right!  When are you coming to Nashville?

Thanks so much for the encouragement Lynn.
I have a Michael Jolly hand crafted ribbon Mic.
I don't think you can get them anymore...  its a clone of the large Sinatra Mic.  44

I spent day going through all the UAD preamps and presets and adapted and saved a few.
I also used some new stuff... just experimenting really.  This was first take.
So looking for feedback...  its not that easy judging your own stuff!

I am new to this UAD stuff and learning what colours can be extracted on different things etc.Ive posted some pictures on what I used for my sound.

Once again... many thanks for taking the time to listen and commenting.

ribbon.jpg

chain.jpg

master.jpg

master 2.jpg

Edited by garybrun

As usual that burnt chocolate vocal holds you to the song ... makes you wanna open your presents early. Have to say though I don't get the musical bit of the song, do you arrange and play any instruments ? As David says in he's comments the arrangement is top notch .... and I have Mic envy LOL

Stay well mate

Steve

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SupaReels said:

As usual that burnt chocolate vocal holds you to the song ... makes you wanna open your presents early. Have to say though I don't get the musical bit of the song, do you arrange and play any instruments ? As David says in he's comments the arrangement is top notch .... and I have Mic envy LOL

Stay well mate

Steve

HI Steve.
I could play trumpet  (Royal College of Music  Grade 5) but now at 57 have no teeth and having implants very shortly.
I can play guitar (12 string) and a little mouth organ too.
Been an event manager for nearly 30 years... but retired now due to PTSD  (long story  but can take it on PM if required)
Have worked as a live sound engineer and still do now.
Most of my work is for free as I am retired and a lot of it is in Christian churches etc.

My son is gifted and so is my daughter..  but I try an source backing tracks and improve on them.

The scene you see in the picture above is mine which I made for my church-

P.s.  Im not a religious nutter... and going to church doesn't make you a Christian as going to Mc Donalds make you a hamburger!!

Edited by garybrun
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Boomin36Beatz said:

It is a pleasure to listen to your voice. 

You are  a very very good Artist

It is like  travelling back to the good old days .

I wish you all the Best from Berlin  Germany.

Thanks you very much for taking the time to listen and comment.
All the best from me here in Norway too.
God Bless.

Gary

13 minutes ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I really enjoyed this one Gary - and it did have a vintage sound to it. Just out of curiosity, what mic did you use for the vocal?

If you look a couple of posts above this one... you can see a photo of it.
It is a Michael Jolly Clone of the large Sinatra ribbon mic.

• Like 1