Arturia V Collection 8 and Analog Lab V (not a deal)

ZincT

1 minute ago, paulo said:

Not if you don't have AL4. I was waiting for the black Keylab 88 which they have already priced considerably more than the white version, but with that and now a considerably downgraded AL I will be very much re-thinking that.

ahh sorry - you said 'upgrade' in your post

4 hours ago, ZincT said:

I have to admit that I rarely used the individual instruments and found Analog Lab a better option while still offering all the presets from every instrument. 

So I held onto Analog Lab and Pigments and sold VC 6 on KVR in the summer. I haven't missed it once.

I'm with ZT on this one. I have AL4 + Pigments. Never owned VC because I really couldn't see the need to have all of those individual instruments, when I could have most of their sounds in one package.

Don't care for the emulations. Too easy to go down a rabbit hole by twiddling knobs all day, and accomplishing nothing. 🤪

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, paulo said:

I meant upgrade in the sense that one might reasonably expect the new version to be an upgrade on the previous one rather than a considerable downgrade.

well we don't know that yet - if you judge the quality of a plugin solely by the number of presets, and assuming that those numbers are accurate, then yes...it's not an upgrade. ....it might even ben a 'considerable downgrade' .  I suspect that isn't the full story.  Have you taken a look at the videos and previews ?

If I could ever get this stuff licenced then I could find out :)

Incidentally I find AL to be the least useful of the collection .....just my opinion but I never really bother with it much. Prefer the actual emulations.

EDIT abacab replied as I was typing and said the exact opposite about AL....just shows you there are as many opinons as there are people :)

Edited by simon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, simon said:

if you judge the quality of a plugin solely by the number of presets, and assuming that those numbers are accurate, then yes...it's not an upgrade.

It's basically a collection of presets, so there's not really much else to judge it by. Yes there's the old quality v quantity debate, but I somehow doubt that the 4000+ that have now been removed were all crap. Disappointing, but hey ho, I'll get over it. Just 2020 still being 2020.😀

I can understand both arguments and it depends on what suits your needs. The full collection suits Simon and many others. 

For me though AL (v4 anyway) made more sense as I can easily search all of the instruments presets to find what I'm looking for. I don't very often need the UI of the instrument to tweak a sound as AL4 gives access to commonly modified ones. 

I got hold of VC6 when I spotted someone selling it cheaply on KVR and thought at that price it would be worth a punt as I could always resell it for what I paid (which is what I did). Realistically I found that I hardly ever used the individual instruments. It just became an annoyance every time there was an update which required 21 updates to be downloaded and installed. 

Now with the advent of ALV it seems that you no longer have access to all the presets from VC8 unless you own VC8 but for me the difference is not worth the cost of ownership. 

Obviously YMMV but that's how it is for me. 

Like abacab, I also bought Pigments (on an intro deal) and for many reasons it's a keeper for me. 

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, paulo said:

It's basically a collection of presets, so there's not really much else to judge it by. Yes there's the old quality v quantity debate, but I somehow doubt that the 4000+ that have now been removed were all crap. Disappointing, but hey ho, I'll get over it. Just 2020 still being 2020.😀

that would be real ripp off for analog lab 4 users and also big problems with projects not loading presets....how they can remove 4000 presets and call it upgrade??

we should all email arturia this is nonsense if true.

i still have analog lab 4 on account, it will be upgraded automaticaly?

2 hours ago, paulo said:

It could also be the case that they've just not had time to modify all the presets to their new library structure and more will surface later
or maybe they used up their budget for the conversions and won't pony up more until they see some sales
or they knew that by shortchanging the presets we'd unintentionally open a vortex on the Internet by chasing our tails about it and then Arturia could use the spin to generate sales and open a wormhole directly to France saving them airline fees that they could then reinvest in management bonuses. 

• Haha 3

Arturia response to analog lab 4 VS analog lab 5 presets issue

Thank you for choosing Arturia and for reaching us.

You can upgrade Analog Lab 4 to Analog Lab V from ASC
Here are the differences between Analog Lab 4 and Analog Lab V:

First, Analog Lab V has been completely reworked with a brand new interface, a new preset browser, a new FX section and many improvements as well in order to benefit from a smoother and more comfortable experience along with our controllers.

- Analog Lab V now contains by default around 2000 presets when Analog Lab 4 was containing around 6500 presets.

Due to these major changes and in order to rework many previous presets contained within Analog Lab 4 we decided to:

- Add new presets reaching our current quality standards

- Remove previous presets which were not reaching our current standards anymore

- And rework some of them as well

In order to achieve this and to prevent any problems we also decided to:

- Ensure that Analog Lab V could be installed distinctely aside of Analog Lab 4 and that both could operate separately as well.

- Define a distinct VST ID for Analog Lab V in order for it not to replace Analog Lab 4 currently instanciated on your project tracks in order for you to still keep on working on your current project without worrying about it

So, this means that it will require you to manually replace your current Analog Lab 4 plug-ins on your tracks if you'd like to migrate immediately to the latest version.

Side note:
As an Analog Lab V owner, you're indeed also entitled for an Analog Lab 4 license for you to use the one you'd like even if we do now clearly recommend to migrate when possible to the very latest version to benefit from its current improvements and to benefit from future fixes as well.

If you'd like to also gain access to all the Analog Lab 4 presets through Analog Lab V just make sure in case you do only have Analog Lab V installed to simply install Analog Lab 4 as well.

=> From there, you'll find all the previous presets contained in a dedicated Sound Bank but keep in mind that due to an important rework of the FXs section as well that User presets using FXs may not sound the same way through Analog Lab V.

Gaby from support

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

Okay. so the Analog Lab 5 issue is a non-issue. You are able to install them side by side.

Well, normally Analog Lab holds most if not all of the V Collection’s presets at “current quality standards”. This won’t be the case anymore unless all of a sudden the entire V Collection lost 4000 presets (instead of gaining more). So, if you’re not up to date with your V Collection you won’t enjoy the Analog Lab presets bonanza. Being able to run Analog Lab 4 is not the same as having most if not all V Collection 8 presets at “current quality standards”.  At those standards we’ll only get some 2000 until we pay up for V Collection 8. Still quite an issue IMO. 

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

Well, normally Analog Lab holds most if not all of the V Collection’s presets at “current quality standards”. This won’t be the case anymore unless all of a sudden the entire V Collection lost 4000 presets (instead of gaining more). So, if you’re not up to date with your V Collection you won’t enjoy the Analog Lab presets bonanza. Being able to run Analog Lab 4 is not the same as having most if not all V Collection 8 presets at “current quality standards”.  At those standards we’ll only get some 2000 until we pay up for V Collection 8. Still quite an issue IMO. 

yes thats right....analog lab 4 had most of presets of V collection 7, you could not just much edit it

analog lab 5 has 4000 less presets and V collection 8 did not loose any (unless i am mistaken) so in that case this arturia marketing nonsense is towards customers forcing them to upgrade as they will not have presets unless you keep installed analog lab 4 with another installation of analog lab 5

• Sad 1

Indeed, and 4000 Analog Lab 4 presets don’t live up to the “current quality standards” of V Collection 8, so they say. The simple fact that some or all of those missing presets are part of the collection renders their explanation meaningless. 
It’s a marketing scheme, and pretending otherwise isn’t cricket at all. 

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

i just checked their README. so you are stating the the new present library updates to existing V6 products entails removing a bunch of presents because they may not be compatible with the new Analog Lab? That is not good at all. I might hold off updating  until this is sorted out. Luckily their servers are slow so I wasn't able to get anywhere with downloads or updates.

New Browser

New Preset Library

New side panel with:

New Global & Preset Settings menu

New Brightness, Timbre, Time and Movement Macro controls

New MIDI Controller and Config menu

New built in Tutorials

Bug fixes:

Welcome tutorials no longer opens after checking “don’t show again”

“Clear all” function now works properly with Keylab Essentials and KeyLab MKII

Banks can no longer be cropped when resizing the interface

• Sad 1

you guys just have to bombard arturia how unhappy you are now with analog lab 5 missing 4000  presets from V collection 8.

thats the only way how we can change it.....

if those "less quality" presets for analog lab 5 are good enough for V collection 8 then it is just gimmick anyway and users should be emailing arturia support...talking here will not change much in my point of view.....email sent to arturia on my side

Edited by dee