Programmable Alt tuning app

X-53mph

Hi guys. Bit of a left field question here. 

Has anyone heard of a guitar tuning app (something like Guitar Tuna) which allows you to make/program your own alt tunings so you can access them quickly?

I do a lot of alt tuning with one fret down-tuning, which obviously won't be any of the options, and I'd like an easy way to tune without having to capo or get to a piano.

Any ideas welcome. 

Thanks

33 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

There are a number of chromatic tuner apps available. That would require that you know the note that is "one fret down" but should not be beyond the grasp even of most guitarists.

Perhaps you didn't get what I mean. I probably didn't express it well. Will those apps allow me to save alt tunings of my own creation?

I've already got two very good apps that have all the standard alt tunings. But I've never seen an app that allows you to input your own parameters for alt tunings.

Does such an app exist?

Cheers

15 hours ago, craigb said:

If you had a Line 6 Variax (like Bapu and I do) then you could do this, but I've never heard of an app for a regular guitar...

Only problem with this suggestion is that I play alt tunings on an acoustic and a full-metal dobro. So buying another guitar to tune them mighty be overkill. 🤔😂

10 minutes ago, 53mph said:

Only problem with this suggestion is that I play alt tunings on an acoustic and a full-metal dobro. So buying another guitar to tune them mighty be overkill. 🤔😂

Except that the Variax HAS both acoustic and dobro models! 😉

11 hours ago, craigb said:

Except that the Variax HAS both acoustic and dobro models! 😉

Except that I already HAVE acoustic and Dobro guitars. Methinks we are talking at loggerheads. 🥳

[Are you secretly a rep for Gibson?]

Edited by 53mph

9 hours ago, 53mph said:

Except that I already HAVE acoustic and Dobro guitars. Methinks we are talking at loggerheads. 🥳

[Are you secretly a rep for Gibson?]

Ha!  Um, no.  I just used to do beta-testing for Line 6 (who is now owned by Yamaha).

My only point is that the Line 6 Variax is its own guitar (which models the types that you have) and not something that can be used to apply alternate tunings to non-Variax guitars.

I only posted it originally after Pragi's post about getting an auto-tuned Gibson.

That said, I think Loggerheads would be a good name for a band! 😁

• Haha 1

You didn't mention whether you were looking for something you can use in the DAW or on your phone or what, but as luck would have it, I have both covered.

Meldaproduction's MTuner is a VST that does this, even polyphonically and with MIDI out. It's also part of their MFreeFX Bundle, which is free to use with the restriction that you can't use their preset system to save your tunings, although you can just use the DAW's. If you spring for the Free-to-Pro bundle upgrade, it unlocks that feature. The bundle comes with 36 other very useful plug-ins, some of them I consider best-in-class at any price.

Wait for one of their 50% off everything sales, and If you're a first time buyer you can sign up for their newsletter and get 10 euro off, and use someone's referral code (mine is MELDA1923165) to get another 20% off and wind up with the license for about $12.

In smartphonelandia, Fender Tune is my favorite, has many alternate tunings built in, and I just got a popup telling me that all I had to do was sign in to my Fender.com account and they would unlock the Pro features, which include, again, storing your own tunings.