Please Fix Comp Editing

jabdo56

Comp editing has been a mess since the introduction of Platinum. With the X-series, editing in the master track was straightforward and had a quick and intuitive crossfade tool.  Now, using Auto-crossfade on a comp recorded master track applies fades to muted clips, and sometimes unmuted clips disappear. When the take lanes are expanded, the smart tool behaves erratically. Fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

I can't reproduce the issue with crossfading muted clips, but I highly recommend editing on the Parent track only when the take lanes are folded up.

Also, although the following doesn't relate to what you're saying, it can trip you up when the take lanes are open: If you want to edit the takes, I find it easier to use the specific Edit tool for a function (e.g., Edit, Timing, or Split) instead of the Smart Tool. It seems that when the Smart Tool is in a comping situation, it thinks you want to comp, not edit. That confused me for quite a while until I figured it out.

It also took me a while to wrap my head around the positional nature of the Smart Tool. There are three distinct vertical zones in a clip, and the Smart Tool has a different function in each one of them. If the Take height isn't tall enough, I find it impossible to hit the middle zone for doing selections. There's a workaround if there's a blank take lane above or below the take lane with the clip. In the empty lane, click where you want the selection to start and hold the mouse button down, then move the cursor down or up to the track with the clip, and drag to select.

Comping does have a few rough edges, but the "rules" for comping are strict. If you follow them, it generally works well. Finally, if you're using Sonar instead of CbB, make sure you have the final version (or better yet, just use CbB). There were several fixes to comping over Sonar's lifetime that helped matters. I hope this helps!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

This the only thing with Cakewalk by Bandlab that really annoys me. The problem is that cross fade pays respect to muted clips. This what i looks like. It can get a lot worse than in this video, creating fades across the entire clip, just because there's an identical muted clip (in a take lane) overlapping it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_X1OXrK2kEEz87Nzm6dHjCgzAuZ2nGx6/view?usp=sharing

• Thanks 1

@rejkmackan: What you showed in your video is actually quite a mild example of what can actually happen. Thanks for posting that for the the developers to see.

This has been happening to me a lot lately.  If I have multiple take lanes and have comped them. The with the lanes collapsed I will start editing the track and sometimes  the muted takes in other lanes start to cross-fade with the non-muted takes. I often have to delete all the muted takes to not have this happen.

Edited by reginaldStjohn

@Noel Borthwick IMHO the take lane behaviour has been much improved in CbB! 😊 But there are still some hassles that should be addressed:

1. It is very difficult or even impossible to instruct whether edits (cross-fades/moving the split point, ...) are only for the current/selected lane or for all lanes with the same start/end. It often happens to me that I accidentally change multiple clips instead of 1.
  2. Sometimes the Smart Tool does not work on adjacent clips (e.g. for cross-fade), because there is a tiny tiny gap between them. The gap is as little that it cannot be represented in the clips start/length values in the clip inspector, but I can see it if I zoom in completely.
  3. It is the same thing when you select multiple clips that have the same start/length values in the inspector, but when you select them together it shows multiple values (tiny, tiny difference, almost unvisible!).
  4. In rare cases where you updated a clip (moved contents within clip, slip edited, ...) the contents moves when you apply a crossfade and it gets impossible to define where to start and end the fades! Sometimes it even does not help to bounce the clip as it is, you must change something else that the bounce really appears!!!
Edited by marled
Slip-edit is not true for #1 if you use shift+slip.