Gain up high but input low

Funkup88

Question

Hi All,

I have never used cakewalk before but used to mix and record on Protools about 10 years ago! I inherited a new computer and thought I would see if I could record some songs.

The issue I am having is I can't seem to get a decent level into the software from my interface. I am using a Focusrite Scarlett18i8 and I have a PC with windows 10.

Even with the gain up full on the hardware I get a low lvl in to the software. This is just plugging a guitar, bass or mic straight in. Can only hear it OK if I Normalize it , which is obviously not how I want to record. 

Could this just be because I need to get a half decent sound card basically or should I still be able to get a good lvl in regardless?

Thanks in advance...

4 answers to this question

Are you using the correct inputs and set them up properly?

When using a guitar, it should go into the TRS input and the input should be set to INST  (as opposed to LINE)

When using a mic, it should use the XLR input ( and if it requires phantom power, this should be switched on )

The TRS input is not suitable for microphones, and the XLR input is not suitable for instruments (such as guitar). 

32 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Are you using the correct inputs and set them up properly?

When using a guitar, it should go into the TRS input and the input should be set to INST  (as opposed to LINE)

When using a mic, it should use the XLR input ( and if it requires phantom power, this should be switched on )

The TRS input is not suitable for microphones, and the XLR input is not suitable for instruments (such as guitar). 

Thanks for getting back quickly. These are my choices for audio input attached.  

I have the guitar into TRS input (it double up as XLR as well on the focusrite).

When you say it should be set to INST, do you mean on the hardware or software? I thought if choosing an audio track it would already be set to pick up from hardware via the chosen track. (sorry not done this in a while). 

Not tried  a mic as yet but would use SM58 so won't need phantom power. 

IMG_2437.JPG

On 12/6/2020 at 8:52 PM, Funkup88 said:

Thanks for getting back quickly. These are my choices for audio input attached.  

I have the guitar into TRS input (it double up as XLR as well on the focusrite).

When you say it should be set to INST, do you mean on the hardware or software? I thought if choosing an audio track it would already be set to pick up from hardware via the chosen track. (sorry not done this in a while). 

IIRC on the 18i8, it's a setting with the Scarlett MixControl software ( on the 4i4, 2i4, 2i2 & solo it's a switch ).

I misunderstood switches on the back panel of my Tascam US-16x08.

On the side of the input there's a switch marked -10db and 4db. I thought it had to do with volume levels as you can see in the daw meters. Meaning that 4db was something that raised the level of incoming audio, that it would be higher in some way. It turned out that it has to do with the sort of audio equipment you are connecting to those inputs. Professional equipment have higher audio levels compared to products for home use so the 4db indicates that you should use this for higher audio level products and the -10db is what you should use for lower audio levels as you find in consumer products.