Bug in 2020.11?

Scott MacBride

So I think I've found a possible bug in version 2020.11

When exporting a wav file, if I use the "Audible Bounce" feature, Cakewalk causes a blue screen and a windows reboot when I exit the program.  Using the "Fast Bounce" option doesn't cause the crash on exit.

The windows error message is: BAD_POOL_CALLER

I'm on the latest version of Windows 10, OS Build 19042.630 

Can anybody else duplicate this? 

Well, playing around with a project today, the crashes are still happening.  I've narrowed the issue down to a volume envelope I added to an audio track.  Removing the envelope solved the crash issue.

So I don't know if this bug is an issue with version 2020.11 since this is the first time I've put a volume envelope using automation in a track.

Also, the crashes happen randomly while working in a project, not related to the "Audible Bounce" that I thought.

Edited by Scott MacBride

BSODs are not normally caused by applications - they're usually a sign of bad hardware, bad drivers, or a corrupt windows installation.

If you're running SSD drives, check that they're not on their way out - there should be software provided by the SSD manufacturer that can check the health of your SSD.

If your SSD is bad... backup ASAP,  and replace it.

Next do the usual checks on your system from an elevated command prompt, in this order

chkdsk c :

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

if any of the above show errors, you can run to the following to repair your installation:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If you're not getting any errors, it's likely to be a driver or hardware problem.

A badly seated or damaged memory stick could cause this, so try re-seating your memory sticks and run a memory diagnostics.

If all is ok here, make sure your drivers are up to date - if there was corruption found and/or fixed earlier, it's worth re-installing just in case parts of the drivers couldn't be repaired.

• Like 3

OK, so I ran all the checks and everything checks out fine.  Windows did show several driver updates so I went ahead and installed all of those.  I downloaded the software from my SSD manufacturer and it shows everything as healthy.  I ran a windows memory test and no errors were found.

I will try to add the automation envelope back into my project and see if it still crashes.

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

If all is ok here, make sure your drivers are up to date - if there was corruption found and/or fixed earlier, it's worth re-installing just in case parts of the drivers couldn't be repaired.

So it looks like the driver updates fixed the issue.  Several of the drivers were Intel related, so probably with the chipset/CPU.

I added the volume envelope back in and mixed it down like before and no crashes this time.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help!

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

BSODs are not normally caused by applications - they're usually a sign of bad hardware, bad drivers, or a corrupt windows installation.

If you're running SSD drives, check that they're not on their way out - there should be software provided by the SSD manufacturer that can check the health of your SSD.

If your SSD is bad... backup ASAP,  and replace it.

Next do the usual checks on your system from an elevated command prompt, in this order

chkdsk c :

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

if any of the above show errors, you can run to the following to repair your installation:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If you're not getting any errors, it's likely to be a driver or hardware problem.

A badly seated or damaged memory stick could cause this, so try re-seating your memory sticks and run a memory diagnostics.

This should be a sticky somewhere's. Good going !

• Great Idea 1