Hate Me

Douglas Kirby

Hi Guys,

This is a track off of the new album I'm working on called "The Westerly Sessions Volume V". 

The lead vocal was sung with a Shure KSM27 through a Warm Audio TB12.

The lead guitar parts were played with my Fender Strat through TH-U.

The synth used is Rapture.

The drums are AD2.

As always, any comments or critiques are welcome, and thanks for listening.

Here it is:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14153578

• Like 4

I like the added synth which  brought the song up a notch or two.  Lyrics could be tightened up. Noticed the TH-U listed in a previous song of yours so I bought it (on sale).  Way more than what I need but very cool in the right hands. I ain't there yet.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2020 at 1:17 AM, bjornpdx said:

I like the added synth which  brought the song up a notch or two.  Lyrics could be tightened up. Noticed the TH-U listed in a previous song of yours so I bought it (on sale).  Way more than what I need but very cool in the right hands. I ain't there yet.

Hi Bjorn - thanks for listening.  Regarding TH-U, I think you're going to have a lot of fun with it - it has so many different tones, and I think it sounds great.

As others have said, this is a well crafted pop tune with a very good mix, which is your trademark.  I'm so glad that you list your tools because it shows what they can do in the right hands.  I do find it a little different when hearing self pity lyrics in this type of vehicle.  I could easily hear a harmonica in this somewhere, but I'll take it  as is.  Keep up the good work, Douglas!  You inspire all of us.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

As others have said, this is a well crafted pop tune with a very good mix, which is your trademark.  I'm so glad that you list your tools because it shows what they can do in the right hands.  I do find it a little different when hearing self pity lyrics in this type of vehicle.  I could easily hear a harmonica in this somewhere, but I'll take it  as is.  Keep up the good work, Douglas!  You inspire all of us.

A harmonica - that's an interesting suggestion - I've never been a very good harmonica player😀 Thanks for listening and Happy Holidays.

23 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

I'm going with a 👍.
How much compression is on the overheads, that cymbal in the left can seems a bit squished.
Not a "crit" really, just a question.

t

little "loose" at the end, but a common rock thing; again not a crit...

Hi Tom - as always - I appreciate your ears.  I'll give that cymbal another listen - I used AD2 - I can tweak if needed.

Regarding the song, I felt like it needed something, and searching through the Cakewalk synths I saw Rapture - I had totally forgotten about it - and I found a preset that I thought really worked for the song. My brother said it reminded him a bit of the Cars😀

Happy Holidays.

• Like 1

Du Hast mich! these lyrics remind me of my roommate in college.  Your voice reminds me of him as well!   This song is brilliant, much more involved harmonically.  Why do you limit yourself to cakewalk stuff?  Please remind me not to get on you bad side.

Edited by David Sprouse
  • Like 1

Hi Douglas.
Ill steel ya bike  🙂

Loved the guitar stuff-

There is something "Vintage" about your sound and also a sadness??

Mix wise I think I would look a little at the compression of the overheads as pn my speakers they are getting crushed a little too much

• Like 1

12 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Du Hast mich! these lyrics remind me of my roommate in college.  Your voice reminds me of him as well!   This song is brilliant, much more involved harmonically.  Why do you limit yourself to cakewalk stuff?  Please remind me not to get on you bad side.

Hi David - I'm glad you liked the song and thanks for listening. Regarding Cakewalk stuff - I do buy third party software, but I haven't bought any synths since Dimension Pro works for me at times. I had forgotten about Rapture, so I was happy to use it on this song.

3 hours ago, garybrun said:

Hi Douglas.
Ill steel ya bike  🙂

Loved the guitar stuff-

There is something "Vintage" about your sound and also a sadness??

Mix wise I think I would look a little at the compression of the overheads as pn my speakers they are getting crushed a little too much

Thanks for giving my song as listen - I like the vintage vibe you describe me as having.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wookiee said:

@Douglas Kirby.  First no I am sorry I will not hate you.

I liked this so hating you is hard, nice solid well balanced mix here, I could be picky about some of the drum sound if I really wanted to but it is not worth the effort and 99.9% would not notice anyway.  Dam producer ears.

Thanks Wookiee - I'll give the drums another listen.  Happy Holidays to you and your family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To my ears it has a nice clean retro classic rock sound all the way down to the vocal sounding retro. . Great eq work in getting a nice separation between instruments. Mud is  non existent. "It fits"the mid-late 60's early 70's sound to a tee. Put a few record scratch noises in there and you might fool someone into believing  it's the real deal. Seems closest to some of the old Stones tunes to me.

Thanks for sharing! Nice work!

• Like 1