Using Reastream in Cakewalk to livestream

Kate Strubinger

Question

I am trying to use the audio from Cakewalk as my audio input in OBS. I did some googling/youtubing which led me to download Reastream. It is working to an extent -- I am able to send the audio from Cakewalk to OBS, but it is only sending the raw signal with none of the effects I have on it in Cakewalk. I have been playing around with it for a few hours to try to figure out what I'm missing, and I keep coming up short. If anyone out there knows what I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate all the help I could get!

3 answers to this question

presuming your sending the output of your master channel (either a buss or your hardware interface)? it may be you need to route that output via your audio mix controller - this could be a mixer or audio interface then into the Reastream app. should check that you have exclusive control set off in your IO in the event Reastream and Cakewalk are vying for the same outputs/inputs. software-wise, it might require something like https://vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm or https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm  note: i have not used these products but some folks here have mentioned them before.

Sorry, I neglected to be more descriptive of my setup, which probably would have helped.

I am using a Scarlett 18i8 for my audio interface. It wasn't obvious how to get the master to send to the Reastream plugin within Cakewalk, so I may not have that set up correctly. I attached some screenshots showing what I did. I tried to mimic what I saw in the Youtube video about adding the plugin, but I did not see Reastream as an option for the master output which is how they did it in the video. The only place that I saw a way to add Reastream was through the FX box on the master channel. Is this correct, or is there another way to do this? It seems to have worked though since I was getting the audio to come through to OBS, just without the effects.

I'm not sure what you mean about having exclusive control set to off in the IO... is that a setting in Cakewalk?

In the meantime I will try the software you linked to above and see if that gets me where I need to be. Thanks!

*Edit: I just went in quickly to make these screenshots today, I realized I it shows it is set to RECEIVE audio... when I was working on this before I definitely had it set to SEND.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Kate Strubinger

ok - so ignore previous suggestions. so the plugin is communicating outside of the audio IO path once it's configured to SEND. i'd think that the RECIEVE function would (if you needed it) be on a separate track or buss. one consideration:

0) MASTER is set to output to the Scarlett IO

1) install plugin on a new stereo buss which routes the SEND  on Restream and also outputs the buss to MASTER. (so you can hear what you're sending to Reastream without colliding with the MASTER IO)

2) install plugin on another new stereo buss which has the RECEIVE (if needed) and also outputs to MASTER (so you can hear what is being sent to you on your audio system)

3) route output of your tracks to the REASTREAM SEND buss

this approach should then let you independently manage your in-room/headphone volume separately from the Reastream send volume, and also mix in any receive levels.