Copy, cut and paste bug?

Hayward770

Hi folks, first post here. Can someone tell me if there is an issue with the copy & paste facility in Cakewalk - Bandlab? If I copy or cut a clip, move another clip, the paste option disappears. Here's the scenario: I highlight a clip and click the copy option from either of the the drop-down menus, I check in the menus again and the paste option is there in black, I drag a clip (same or different one), check the menu again and the paste option has gone. It's greyed out like it lost it from memory. This happens in ver: 2020.11 (build 099, 64 bit. running on Win7 SP1) and ver2020.04 (build 179 64 bit running on Windows 10). I'm unable to alter this behaviour in the editing - preferences settings. This is a PITB and any help would be gratefully received. Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but I couldn't find anywhere else. Cheers.

P.S. This happens with both audio and midi.

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Image 3.jpg

Image 4.jpg

Edited by Haydn Follis

A clip drag/move operation is in fact a combined copy/paste operation, so:

1. The original copied/pasted clip in the clipboard is replaced by the clip you're moving
2. As the copy/paste within the move is complete (i.e. it was done as a single operation), the clipboard is cleared

Any drag/move operation could essentially render the original clipboard contents invalid, so it's necessary to clear it before performing that operation.

This is especially true in the case of audio, as the audio itself isn't copied to the clipboard - just its position within the audio files on disk (which may have changed by any subsequent move).

Thanks for the reply. To have the clipboard cleared of audio data that you've just copied because you've moved a midi clip is absolute nuts. I can't see the purpose of clearing the clipboard when moving a midi or audio clip. It goes against the Windows concept of copy and paste where it stays in the clipboard uptill purposely pasted. A high risk of losing data if the 'cut' feature is used.

Edited by Haydn Follis

It's just a matter of work flow.  Try working "backwards" by moving the desired clip first and then go back to copy/cut the clip you wish to relocate.  Not all is lost is if you access the undo function to bring back the cut clip (and tracks to their original state).

Kind regards,

tecknot

2 hours ago, Haydn Follis said:

,,,It goes against the Windows concept of copy and past where it stays in the clipboard uptill purposely pasted.

Not really. In MS Word the clipboard contains the last thing you cut or copied. As soon as you cut or copy anything else, the original data is discarded and replaced by the new selection, whether it's text, formatting, or an image. It makes sense that Cakewalk would work the same way. The procedure under the hood would logically remain the same regardless of how you copied the data. The ability to copy a clip by holding down the CTL key while dragging is a great convenience, but it's just a shortcut to the standard copy-and-paste mechanic.

Which is not to say Cakewalk couldn't offer separate clipboards for different types of data (which they may do, internally). However, the design goal is to maintain consistency so that all types of data (MIDI, audio, automation, markers, clip effects, ARA regions) are manipulated in the same way from the user perspective. 

So yeh, it's just something to get used to. But worth it in the end.

Funny I always wondered about that as I too find it a bit annoying when I copy a clip and try to then paste it in 2 places. I guess I'm inadvertently doing some move that clears the clipboard along the way. 

I guess there's a feature request. A "copy to Special clipboard" that stayed put until something new was put there.  Sure would save time. 

18 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Not really. In MS Word the clipboard contains the last thing you cut or copied. As soon as you cut or copy anything else, the original data is discarded and replaced by the new selection, whether it's text, formatting, or an image. It makes sense that Cakewalk would work the same way.

@bitflipper. Exactly my point, but Cakewalk is not working the same way. As your example shows, in MS Word, when you copy or cut something, it goes into the clipboard and stays there until you paste or copy/cut again, just like you said. In Word, and virtually every Windows app I've used, the copied data doesn't disappear when you highlight and move a word, paragraph or image, like it does in Cakewalk. This is the issue I've shown above. Just by moving some midi, it wipes the clipboard clean, not even replacing the lost data with whatever you've just moved.

Edited by Haydn Follis

some thoughts to consider:

"Clipboard history first appeared in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update (Version 1809). Currently, Clipboard history supports text, HTML, and images less than 4 MB in size. Larger items won’t be stored in the history.

Clipboard history stores a maximum of 25 entries, with the oldest items disappearing as new ones appear. Also, unless an item is pinned to the Clipboard, the Clipboard history list will reset every time you restart your computer or device."

https://thetechhacker.com/2020/11/04/how-to-view-clipboard-history-windows-10/

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

The history setting in Cakewalk is an undo history not a history of the clipboard.

i think he's referring to the clipboard history which is a collection of 25 or less last copied/cut items. note that there is a per-clip limit of 4mb and also, not all apps can use the clipboard history nor are all objects in an app storeable there...