Sonivox Premier Collection Upgrade

Tomgu

Got  this bundle after TTF recommended it in another thread. This is a good price.  Freelancesoundlabs recently added NKS support for the plugins in this bundle.  I’m behind in my installations but looked like a nice implementation. In case anyone else is looking for NKS integration.

https://freelancesoundlabs.com/index.php/downloads/komplete-kontrol-vst-packs/itemlist/category/115-sonivox

I upgraded to the Premier Collection several years ago, and paid more than that!

So that's a very good value for $29. But I would say let the buyer beware that this is old software, and that the developer has not updated it, or fixed any outstanding bugs for years, at least not for Windows 10. Not saying it's not going to work, just a matter of time until a Win 10 update deals a curve ball.

For $29 it is probably worth the risk, to run it as is. Just realize that there is a reason that the price is so low. 😉

The best of the collection IHMO is the Eighty Eight Ensemble, and that is probably worth the admission price! The Big Bang  cinematic drums samples are not locked to the instrument as the rest of the collection is. So you can use those samples in the drum sampler of your choice.

The rest of the instrument collection has some quality samples, but the user interfaces are old and fairly basic, and need some updating. I have since moved on to other orchestral instruments, and no longer have the strings, brass, and woodwinds installed. But it's a great way to try them at entry level!

• Thanks 1

If they weren't available for the ridiculous price of $2.99 each, then Atsia Percussion and Silk Road Percussion would absolutely be "worth" $29  in my book.  They are both really great libraries that I use a lot.     Having the Freelance Soundlabs NKS templates for them does take them up a notch. 

The orchestral libraries are perfectly fine for layering under another library.  You can work around the lack of legato.  There's a lot of cool add-ons  in them like runs. 

On Vi:Control a guy said that it was worth it for TimewARP alone (this was when it was $75.  

But these are all abandonware.  They don't work in Catalina.  Definitely a let the buyer beware type of thing. 

There's a part of me that would like to have this just to do a video on the Singles.  There is an annoying one in Spanish on YouTube that is mostly talking.  I would like to do one that is all playing.

9 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

If they weren't available for the ridiculous price of $2.99 each, then Atsia Percussion and Silk Road Percussion would absolutely be "worth" $29  in my book.  They are both really great libraries that I use a lot.   

I did keep those two percussions installed, as well as the harpsichord. The harmonica sounds like a really cheesy combo organ.

As far the Taylor acoustic guitar and the classic bass go, I think that the free (lite) Martin acoustic guitar and P-Bass from Ample Sounds are much better! Not really a fan of their drum kits either. SI Drums in Cakewalk is probably better. 🤣

Looking forward to your video, Reid!

On 12/5/2020 at 2:12 PM, abacab said:

I did keep those two percussions installed, as well as the harpsichord. The harmonica sounds like a really cheesy combo organ.

As far the Taylor acoustic guitar and the classic bass go, I think that the free (lite) Martin acoustic guitar and P-Bass from Ample Sounds are much better! Not really a fan of their drum kits either. SI Drums in Cakewalk is probably better. 🤣

Looking forward to your video, Reid!

Do you think it's worth me making a video on all the Singles?  Maybe the only thing worth doing would be a video on Atsia and Silk Road. 

My main concern about recommending SONiVOX products is that they are abandonware.  It seems to me it's a chance worth taking for $2.99 each for two excellent percussion libraries.  Unless you have Catalina installed, of course.  🙁

3 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Do you think it's worth me making a video on all the Singles?  Maybe the only thing worth doing would be a video on Atsia and Silk Road. 

My main concern about recommending SONiVOX products is that they are abandonware.  It seems to me it's a chance worth taking for $2.99 each for two excellent percussion libraries.  Unless you have Catalina installed, of course.  🙁

I guess from your hesitation that you may suspect most of the singles are not the best examples in their respective instrument categories. In that sense, I would agree. But the percussion singles are interesting because they cover sounds that are not easy to find, and they are inexpensive.

Like you said earlier, their orchestral instruments are perfectly fine for layering, and IMHO are much better sounding than most of the singles.

I suspect that SONiVOX created them to recycle their sample libraries and monetize what is left as best they can. It's a shame they were abandoned, because they have many good samples, just needed some more effort in developing better playing instruments, with more functional user interfaces.