Really in Need of Help

Bobby Thistle

Hi all...

I know this post is kind of long but I figured I would give as much detail as possible in hopes that someone can get me to stop pulling my hair out.  I’ve been trying everything possible to get this working but I keep hitting a wall.

My gear:

Roland PC-200 mk II MIDI Keyboard controller

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6

Ketron SD-2 orchestral wizard

Computer:

Windows 10

Intel core i7 3770 CPU@3.40GHz

Installed memory (RAM) 16gb

System Type: 64 bit operating system, x64 – based processor

Software (DAW) Used:

Cakewalk by Bandlab

Reaper 6

Synths:

Sample Tank 4

Addictive Drums 2

What I’m trying to do is to use my Ketron in Cakewalk

What’s happening is that I don’t get any output sounds.

The way I have it hooked up:

Keyboard “out” to Scarlett “in”

Scarlett “out” to Ketron “in” (This, and “Thru”) are the only 5 pin MIDI connections on the Ketron.)

In Cakewalk Preferences “input and output” device, Focusrite is selected.  In fact, for output  it’s the only choice I can make.

On a new track I set the input to “Focusrite USB Omni”

Output “Focusrite USB MIDI”

I select the Ketron, a  bank and a patch.

Everything works; The blue light on the Ketron blinks when I press a key on the controller.  The VU meters for the track are moving when I press a key on the controller.  I can record midi on the track.

The only thing is, there is no sound.  Even though Cakewalk sees the MIDI signal and can even record the signal, there is no output sound.

I’m getting similar results in Reaper.

SampleTank 4 and Addictive Drums 2 are working fine.

Is there some system setting outside of Cakewalk that has to be changed?  I’ve checked to see if the Focusrite is being used as the default in and out in Windows setup.  It is.

I’ve made sure the volume is up in my headphones.

I’ve tried to see if the sound comes out of my monitor speakers.  It doesn’t.

I’m at a total loss as what to do next.

Any suggestions would be so much appreciated.

/Bobby

9 hours ago, Bobby Thistle said:

Everything works; The blue light on the Ketron blinks when I press a key on the controller.  The VU meters for the track are moving when I press a key on the controller.  I can record midi on the track.

The only thing is, there is no sound.  Even though Cakewalk sees the MIDI signal and can even record the signal, there is no output sound.

You say you can record the MIDI ,but MIDI doesn't have any sounds. The MIDI data needs to trigger a soft synth or the sound module in the ketron. If you use the Ketron, you need to record the audio output form it, not the MIDI output.

I love the Ketrons. I have had 2 of them in the past.

I drew this up for someone else with same issue a few weeks ago. It's a standard diagram found in the user manuals of most audio interfaces. He had passive speakers so I've included the stereo amp set up but if your monitors are active then you just run the 1/2 outputs directly to them. 

Your using your Ketron as both a midi controller and a sound module. This is a little more advanced than most people who just use the VST instruments inside their DAW. 

First make sure Cakewalk is using ASIO mode for audio. Midi will use MME. 

Attach all cables as shown in diagram and insert both a midi track and an audio track.

Set the input of the midi track to the Focusrite USB midi  Omni.  arm it for record and see if the meters move. 

Set the input of the audio track for Stereo Focusrite USB ASIO line 3  You won't need the audio track yet but you can test it right now by arming for record and make sure your getting a signal. Note; you will use inputs 3/4 on the rear of the 6i6 for the output from the Ketron. 

You will  hear the audio from the Kenton in the Scarletts headphone jack and your studio monitors via the direct monitoring function of the 6i6. Make sure to use the default setting in Mix Control.

You will then record the midi output of the controller,  after you can edit the data, quantize etc then once  happy you set the output of the midi track to the Focusrite USB midi. This should play the Ketron.  

Now arm the audio track and record the playback. 

4i4 hookup.png

Edited by John Vere

John... I can't thank you enough.  Thanks to your in depth and very easy to follow instructions I'm up and running!!!  The way you explained it was so simple, it was like taking me by the hand to show me how it's done.  I'm somewhat technology challenged.  I don't get a very good grasp of things that are explained in technical terms.

It has been a very long time since I've done anything with my music gear so there was a lot of things that I forgot.  Obviously, how to set it up was right at the top of the list of "things that I forgot." :S

I do have and use VSTs - Sample Tank 4 and Addictive Drums 2.  But the Ketron still has a lot of great sounds so I like to use it for a track once in a while.  I have another vintage MIDI sound module, a Roland JV-1010.  Again, some great sounds come out of that little old box.

My plan is to have both modules hooked up with my M-Audio Midisport 2x2.  When I'm ready and if you don't mind, I'm going to pick your brain when I start on that project.

Again... I'm so very much obliged for all your help!!!

/Oscar

2 hours ago, Oscar Myer said:

John... I can't thank you enough.  Thanks to your in depth and very easy to follow instructions I'm up and running!!!  The way you explained it was so simple, it was like taking me by the hand to show me how it's done.  I'm somewhat technology challenged.  I don't get a very good grasp of things that are explained in technical terms.

Again... I'm so very much obliged for all your help!!!

/Oscar

Kudos on the ego stroking.  

• Like 1

Glad I got to help. Yes keep those old sound modules going. This winter I plan on digging all of mine out and hooking them up. If you have a lot of them a mixing board is the way to go. I'll be dusting off my Yamaha 01v which I will run everything into. I also have a MIdi splitter box I made with a toggle switch. I think it was a Craig Anderton project from the Electronic Musician mag days. Hardware lasts forever. And it tends to gather dust, but some of those boxes cost me $1,800 so heck if I'm going to sell them and only get $50. I especially love my Korg o5R/W. 

• Like 1

I've had my Roland JV-1010 for years.  I was lucky... at the tiime I bought it the 1080 had just hit the market.  The music shop I deal with had one 1010 in the showcase left and it was covered in dust.  The sales guy just wanted to get rid of it so he gave it to me for $150, a real steal.  I managed to get the expansion card on line a few years ago... giving it thousands of sounds. most of which I'll never use but they're there. :D

/Oscar