Presonus Faderport 16 - anyone using it in CbB?

Bapu

When I had cats, I played a sample of a lion roar in earshot of them.

Their reaction was hilarious, until they realised it was coming from my laptop. Then they just gave me a dirty look and wandered off with their tails flicking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

When I had cats, I played a sample of a lion roar in earshot of them.

Their reaction was hilarious, until they realised it was coming from my laptop. Then they just gave me a dirty look and wandered off with their tails flicking.

Oh yeah, you DEFINITELY would have earned the Brown Winky treatment, sometimes referred to as the Eiffel Tower treatment.  That is pretty funny, though.  The little kitten makes little lion noises when she watches the Kritters Killing channel.  (big cats hunting on the African plains).

I am sorry I took this thread WAY off the beaten path, by the way...

Bob Bone

• Haha 1

Yeah, as long as that path doesn't end at the litter box :=)

OK, so it's now obvious that CbB (or at least Sonar) DOES work with Mackie control - however the recently released CbB "manual" has ZERO mention of this - if you do a search on "Mackie" all you get is a few things about Otto.  I'm considering the Presonus FaderPort 16 also, new DAW will get some of my older (Sonar X1, Vegas Pro 9, Sound Forge 11) software as well as CbB. Not sure yet if Vegas will work with either HUI or Mackie Control, more research to do...

Guess I shoulda put part of this with the thread on the CbB manual - so I will... Steve

59 minutes ago, Steve Leverich said:

OK, so it's now obvious that CbB (or at least Sonar) DOES work with Mackie control - however the recently released CbB "manual" has ZERO mention of this - if you do a search on "Mackie" all you get is a few things about Otto.  I'm considering the Presonus FaderPort 16 also, new DAW will get some of my older (Sonar X1, Vegas Pro 9, Sound Forge 11) software as well as CbB. Not sure yet if Vegas will work with either HUI or Mackie Control, more research to do...

Guess I shoulda put part of this with the thread on the CbB manual - so I will... Steve

Look in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Surfaces - there's a MackieControl.chm help file there.

The main manual is vague about models of control surfaces (see the External Devices section), and only mentions the Roland A-Pro as an example - presumably because that part was written when Roland were in charge, and didn't want other manufacturer's names mentioned. It does say that you should pick your device from the list though within the "Setting up control surfaces" section.

Edited by msmcleod

4 hours ago, Steve Leverich said:

I will pull my FaderPort 16 back from where I have my live rig set up, as I was doing some mobile recording there, won't be until the weekend, but I will try to use it with Vegas Pro 15 - I believe it works with Vegas Pro, with Mackie Control, not sure about other Vegas versions.

Anyways, I will post back by Sunday, on my attempts to use it with Vegas Pro 15.

Bob Bone

Mark - "Look in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Surfaces" - I'm guessing that would require having the program already installed; I'm still purging/delousing Win10 on the new machine, and lining up as many "ducks" as I'm aware of, thanks for the tip -

Bob,  thanks - My newest paid for version of Vegas is V9.0 Vegas Pro suite. It's been awhile since I dealt with Magix, don't really wanna go there yet. That part of the new setup is purely personal use, V9 was already more than I needed. It paid for itself about 40 times over just from revenue from several corporate safety vids, had the CEO himself tell me mine were the best he'd ever seen...

The new machine is getting a TI firewire card (already installed along with ram kicked up to 32 Gb, and a Motu 24Ai/ 8Pre-ES along with my older MTP-AV usb. I'm a bit nervous about the Motu stuff playing nice with the above, but I really wanted all those inputs so I can keep using several keyboards AND quite a few sound modules. Between the 8Pre-ES, my ART Digital MPA and Focusrite Platinum Voicemaster Pro, those will give me 24 balanced line ins and 11 mic pre's; prior to this I've always had to do a submix on the board in order to mic drums in real time, so I'm looking forward to that capability... Steve

Edited by Steve Leverich
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I use the FP16 and it works good in Sonar. Hold down the first two select buttons at the same time then power the unit on. It will display your settings menu at the top right. From there choose Control MCU then select MCU(SONAR), Then select EXIT RESTART FADERPORT. The next step is to go into Sonar and open up your settings. Preferences/Control Surfaces and click the yellow ADD NEW CONTROLLER/SURFACE button at the top right. For the first 8 faders select Mackie Control and select Presonus FP16 for your Input Port & Output Port, then add the other 8 faders by using the same steps, but select Mackie Control XT on this one. You can chose what colors you want them to be. I personally use all red for mine. Now you just apply/save then exit out of Sonar and open it up again and you should be ready to go. I also did some custom settings to mine as well like lowering the fader sensitivity, I think I lowered mine to 3 and I also did some custom settings in the ACT controller/properties menu. You might want to take a pic of your defaults before playing around with customizing your settings in there. Hope this helps you out Bapu.   

FP16controlsettings (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1