Presonus Faderport 16 - anyone using it in CbB?

Bapu

My single Faderport works in SO4P, Reaper and Mixbus32c.

Has anyone got the Faderport 16 working in CbB?  

I know it's (obviously) supported in SO4P as well as Mixbus32c. I'll have to verify Reaper supports it now too before I pull the trigger on it.

I can see the Faderport 8 working, but I'm not sure how you'd get all 16 tracks working on the Faderport 16.

I guess  you'll probably have to set it up as a Mackie Control and a Mackie Control XT. Then click "Configure Layout" on Cakewalk's Mackie Control dialog, and turn rotary pot 9 to the right one click.

But unless the Faderport presents itself as two groups of MIDI in/MIDI out, I'm not totally sure this will work as expected.

I'd wait for confirmation from someone who has actually got it working first.

46 minutes ago, Mel Matthews said:

The banking feature on the Faderport 8 walks thru 16+ channels so can't see any reason why the faderport 16 wouldn't work. 

That may be so, but looking at the source code, the MackieControl.dll works with banks of 8 at a time.

I suspect you might only be able to use the first 8 faders, unless you also add the Mackie Control XT as a surface controller.

But at that point, they'd both be assigned to the same MIDI ports. 

So until someone tries it and says otherwise, I'm not going to commit either way :)

[EDIT]

OK, just took a look at the manual, and it IS compatible with Sonar - so it will be compatible with CbB as well ('cos the MackieControl.dll hasn't changed in years).

Instructions to set it up for Sonar/CbB are on chapter six:

https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/FaderPort-16-8_OwnersManual_EN_26062018.pdf

It's exactly as a thought: You have to set it up as a Mackie Control and a Mackie Control XT. Then click "Configure Layout" on Cakewalk's Mackie Control dialog, and turn rotary pot 9 to the right one click.

Edited by msmcleod

I use the FaderPort 8, which replaced an Artist Series controller, which in turn replaced the V-Studio controller because it had too big a footprint for my setup. IIRC there was only one feature I found that wasn't in the documentation Mark refers to, but I can't recall what it is offhand. If you just want mixing, panning, scrolling, transport, etc., the FaderPort 8 or 16 works fine. 

53 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

I use the FaderPort 8, which replaced an Artist Series controller, which in turn replaced the V-Studio controller because it had too big a footprint for my setup. IIRC there was only one feature I found that wasn't in the documentation Mark refers to, but I can't recall what it is offhand. If you just want mixing, panning, scrolling, transport, etc., the FaderPort 8 or 16 works fine. 

Is there a new driver for the 8/16 or does it run off the existing driver for the Faderport classic?

22 hours ago, Bapu said:

Is there a new driver for the 8/16 or does it run off the existing driver for the Faderport classic?

You need to use Mackie mode in CbB. There's no dedicated control surface plug-in for the FaderPort 8/16 that I know of. unless someone like Azslow has come up with one.

Edited by Craig Anderton

• 1 month later...

I, too, have the FaderPort16, and though I have it working, I find that I cannot use it. 

Not for any technical reason, but because both cats immediately upon seeing it getting trotted out, want to plant their big furry behinds right on top of it, because it is something newly moved about, and because they know I am trying to accomplish something - and I am apparently unauthorized by them to be at all productive.

Sigh.....It LOOKS nice though, maybe if I distract them with some plastic milk rings...

Bob Bone

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I, too, have the FaderPort16, and though I have it working, I find that I cannot use it. 

Not for any technical reason, but because both cats immediately upon seeing it getting trotted out, want to plant their big furry behinds right on top of it, because it is something newly moved about, and because they know I am trying to accomplish something - and I am apparently unauthorized by them to be at all productive.

Sigh.....It LOOKS nice though, maybe if I distract them with some plastic milk rings...

Bob Bone

LOL

10 hours ago, InstrEd said:

I have some Catnip. Its a studio right?   Shouldn't the Cats be chillin😎

It's the motorized faders.  Drives them crazy.... I'll say this about the FaderPort 16 - I actually LOVE it, and it is a super solid piece of gear.

Bob Bone

• Like 1