How to send an exact copy of an audio CD over the internet

gmp

I've done a CD project for a client and we're trying to save time by uploading to the duplicator. I uploaded it and made a test CD of the upload and thought I could just make an ISO copy of it, send it to him and he could burn an audio CD from that. But ISO files don't work for audio CD's. Does anyone know how I can send him the exact copy of the test CD?

You will just have to send them the Wave files. You can't really send a "CD" over the internet as far as I see,  but the wave files are no problem. Put them in Drop box, I cloud, One drive, or Google drive. and share.  Then they just burn there copy from that using Nero or?? 

I sent him the wav files with wetransfer and walked him through the upload and he burned the test CD. I'm surprised there's no ISO type file for audio CDs. DDP is what the duplicator uses, but they didn't have any solutions for getting the client a file to burn the test CD

22 minutes ago, gmp said:

I sent him the wav files with wetransfer and walked him through the upload and he burned the test CD. I'm surprised there's no ISO type file for audio CDs. DDP is what the duplicator uses, but they didn't have any solutions for getting the client a file to burn the test CD

We do this with "7-Zip." We zip the files in 3 folders - with each subfolder "zipped." 

To help you understand. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/178146/htg-explains-everything-you-need-to-know-about-zipped-files/amp/

8 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

We do this with "7-Zip." We zip the files in 3 folders - with each subfolder "zipped." 

To help you understand. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/178146/htg-explains-everything-you-need-to-know-about-zipped-files/amp/

I'm not wanting him to get separate wav files from a zip file, I wanted to send him 1 file like a ISO that he could easily burn an exact copy of the audio test CD from the upload I did to the CD duplicator  

30 minutes ago, gmp said:

I'm not wanting him to get separate wav files from a zip file, I wanted to send him 1 file like a ISO that he could easily burn an exact copy of the audio test CD from the upload I did to the CD duplicator  

7-zip can help with this. 

If you both have Nero installed you can easily accomplish what your looking for. 

Put the Wave files in a containment folder for the project. 

Put this containment folder in a common location shared by all computers in C drive. The pathway is going to have to match. 

Drag it to Nero to burn. 

After burning Nero will ask you if you want to save the project say yes and save the nra file ( to the same folder or? ) 

Get this to the client and make sure they put the containment folder in the exact location you used.

They  OPEN the nra file in Nero. Their CD will have the exact burning parameters as you set along with song titles, disk info etc. 

The nra file is sort of like a Cakewalk CWP file in that is needs the associated audio path to be correct. 

Most people never dig that deep into what Nero can do but it's very good at what it does and has a lot going on under the hood. I see on it's list of burning options is a CD ISO but that is not a Audio CD. ISO is an image but I think audio CD are exclusive format so they will play in consumer devices. ISO only will play on a computer drive. 

For audio discs, the best way is DDP. But that usually requires mastering software to create or burn from the DDP image.

The next best thing is BIN / CUE files. BIN is the audio data, CUE is the track list, and they go as a pair.

You can rip a CD to BIN / CUE using http://www.anyburn.com/

To create the files:  http://www.anyburn.com/tutorials/copy-disc-to-bin-cue-file.htm

Send both of those files to your friend via WeTransfer.com or something similar, have him save them to the desktop and download AnyBurn.

Then use this method to create a disc on his end: http://www.anyburn.com/tutorials/burn-image-file.htm  (And choose the CUE file as the source image)

1 hour ago, abacab said:

This?

https://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-CD-or-DVD-to-ISO-Image-Files

Then transfer the ISO to recipient, who burns the CD.  They'll need to choose the "burn image" or "write image" option in their burning software and then choose the file.

I was certain that exactly how I could do it, until I tried and then started reading articles saying that an audio CD is different from a data CD and the ISO image won't work. If you've successfully done this let me know. Maybe there is a specialized ISO that will work with audio.

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

If you both have Nero installed you can easily accomplish what your looking for. 

Put the Wave files in a containment folder for the project. 

Put this containment folder in a common location shared by all computers in C drive. The pathway is going to have to match. 

Drag it to Nero to burn. 

After burning Nero will ask you if you want to save the project say yes and save the nra file ( to the same folder or? ) 

Get this to the client and make sure they put the containment folder in the exact location you used.

They  OPEN the nra file in Nero. Their CD will have the exact burning parameters as you set along with song titles, disk info etc. 

The nra file is sort of like a Cakewalk CWP file in that is needs the associated audio path to be correct. 

Most people never dig that deep into what Nero can do but it's very good at what it does and has a lot going on under the hood. I see on it's list of burning options is a CD ISO but that is not a Audio CD. ISO is an image but I think audio CD are exclusive format so they will play in consumer devices. ISO only will play on a computer drive. 

When I found out I couldn't use an ISO file I thought like you that Nero could problem do it and I could send the client my free copy of Nero for him to install along with the Nero file.

I noticed your file was a NRA file. That sounds more like audio. Here's maybe part of the problem, I used CD Architect to create my original CD I then uploaded it to Oasis CD Duplicator and created a test CD.

I first put the test CD in Nero and chose "Copy CD" it then created an .NRG file in my E:\My Documents folder. I then copied the NRG file to a different computer in E:\My Documents folder. I Opened the NRG file in Nero and everything looked ok until I hit "Burn" then instead of prompting for a CD I got this "Save Image As" window.

My situation is different from what you outlined, because I'm forced to burn the test CD from Oasis. Weird things can happen with an upload due to the internet and various computer problems, so I felt he needed to check out the test CD not my original.

I do have a 2nd CD to do with him, so do you think Nero would work in my situation?

2 hours ago, gmp said:

I was certain that exactly how I could do it, until I tried and then started reading articles saying that an audio CD is different from a data CD and the ISO image won't work. If you've successfully done this let me know. Maybe there is a specialized ISO that will work with audio.

I haven't tried this yet, but am curious now, so it's on my to-do list.

I think that since an ISO is just a container file, it should be capable of holding an image of any disk format, bit for bit.

The key is probably the tool used to extract the original audio CD disk from the ISO. It would be a must to be able to choose the "burn image" or "write image" option in the burning software and then choose to burn the file as an audio CD, rather than just copying the ISO file itself to a CD. A copy of an ISO would still just be an ISO with the original CD disk stuck "inside" the container.

I’m looking into DDP as my latest client says that’s what the duplicate people are asking for. I guess they don’t compile the CD anymore. I’m out of touch with all this as most clients walk out the door with a USB stick and a CD and end of story. Now I have 2 clients asking about getting CD replicated 

CD was always a risky thing to take to replication if you didn't do it on pro grade gear because the error percentage would often make them reject it, and you'd have to send another copy. And, aside from sending BIN/CUE (which works, but doesn't have any CRC checking in case of a transfer corruption), there was no real way to send a CD online, so you were stuck with posting it or hand delivering it.

DDP solves all those problems in one fell swoop. I've only had one single image come back as rejected since I changed from master discs to DDP and that was my own dumb fault for making a typo in the UPC/EAN and not doing an error check before I sent it off. Derp. 🙄 But human error aside, it's been bulletproof.

Yes I saw that.  There must be more? almost $700 Can. Ouch. That's my annual studio income. I guess it has a lot of other features for mastering.

I found this one Hofa  https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/cd-burn-ddp-master/   and it's $78 Can I have downloaded the demo and it's good for 14 days. So I'll see What it does. I don't really need to do this but I'm curious and if I can do things properly for my clients all the better. 

What ever happened to mastering to a 1/2 track @ 15ips and just making sure the meters didn't pin?!  

SO back to the op- You might want to try this Hofa demo, I'll soon find out if it works 100% and doesn't do something weird like add beeps. Hopefully it's a real demo. 

Update: Demo is a waist of time as It doesn't do anything. You can't even play a song. Give this company a pass. Keep looking. 

Edited by John Vere

Right under my nose! Wave Lab can save a CD file as DDP.    So Wave Lab Elements only cost me $99 I now get more than my moneys worth as I have always used it for mastering. 

Writing Audio Files to DDP Image

There might be situations when you want to freeze an entire Basic Audio CD, without actually writing a CD. This is done by saving it as a DDP image.

Prerequisite    Set up a Basic Audio CD project. 

Procedure

Optional: In the Basic Audio CD window, select the Edit tab, and click Check CD Conformity to check that all settings conform to the Red Book standard.

In the Basic Audio CD window, on the Edit tab, click Write Audio CD or DDP.

From the Device pop-up menu, select DDP Image.   

Specify the destination folder.

Optional: Activate Write Table of Contents and Customer Information to create a text file, containing information about the DDP file.

Click OK to start the writing operation.