Did Anyone Get Scaler 2

AndyB01

I suspect Scaler is one that splits opinion. I got a copy during Black Friday. It's a complex old thing so I'm in the process of trying to learn how to use it. Once you sort the routing out you can do some clever and interesting stuff.

Andy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

I suspect Scaler is one that splits opinion. I got a copy during Black Friday. It's a complex old thing so I'm in the process of trying to learn how to use it. Once you sort the routing out you can do some clever and interesting stuff.

Andy

Already had it, use it all the time.

• Like 1

Trying the demo at present. I can see that it is a useful tool, but it also still seems to be as buggy as hell, despite how many updates now?  Mucho crashes. Cakewalk is not on the list of supported hosts and I guess I'm finding out why. Shame because I'd probably buy it otherwise. Right now I'm not overly confident that the flakiness of it won't drive me mad.

Edited by paulo

3 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

Same question to you, Brian (see above)

cheers

andy :)

Multiple things, idea creator, put down basic chord structure quickly (using voicings that might be difficult or unusual on my main insturment - guitar) as that can create a different feel, I'll use some of the "phrases/patterns/whatever you want to call them" to come up with another layer or ideas, use it to audition chords that I might not think of, to audition scales without having to think about notes on a fretboard type of thing, which can lead to melody creation I might not have gravitated towards.

I even use the "felt piano" that is built in sometimes, sounds interesting.  

• Thanks 1

I have it working in S1 Pro (sshhh). Mainly inspiration so far Andy and you can learn way more about music and chord theory than is good for you. 😂

I load up a loop I like in Scaler (it has loads built in), bind that to the midi keyboard, set the inbuilt sounds to none and then route the I/O to my VST of choice then I can 'play' the bound chords and edit them using the chord wheel, change inversions and so on.

I am still right at the bottom of the learning curve but it looks useful.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Thank you, @AndyB01 :)

I'm going through a strange phase, artistically speaking, and I am finding the actual composing part to be quite boring. That comes across quite plainly in my music of the last five years or so which has become more and more beat-less and structureless.

Last year, with the help of a few nice peeps over at VI-C, I went further into music theory than I had ever done before. I think it was all for nought, though, as I have failed to produce anything worthy of the few Spitfire libraries I invested in at that time.

Scaler sounds interesting, for sure, and it sounds like it would save me having to keep looking up music theory stuff on the interwebs. But it may well be still too rigid and structured for what I am into at the moment.

If I want to go a bit "crazy" I may try using some extended chords, but that's about it.

So, I dunno... I'm wondering if I should try Scaler out, at least, and see what comes out of the other end.

cheers,

andy

• Great Idea 1

48 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

Andy

I would say if you have seen Scaler 2 and what it can do it would be pretty compelling.  So a hearty yes!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

I'm wondering if I should try Scaler out, at least, and see what comes out of the other end.

The demo period is 30 days, so you should be able to get some time in between the crashes if you're using CW. 

Edited by paulo

1 minute ago, synkrotron said:

Thanks for the heads up... I'll use something else, then :)

You should still give it a go. Maybe you won't have the same problem. Or maybe you will and then at least I will know that it's not just me that it happens to.

5 minutes ago, paulo said:

You should still give it a go. Maybe you won't have the same problem. Or maybe you will and then at least I will know that it's not just me that it happens to.

I've used it in CbB too - not noticed any crashes or significant instabilities but a lot of 'noise' online about it being buggy as a product. Maybe it depends on the use case and how far you push what it can do. Certainly seems ok in my 'other' DAW that I 'very rarely' use... 😉

Andy

5 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

Maybe it depends on the use case and how far you push what it can do

I've had a few instances of the UI displaying only a blank window after minimising and then reopening and the crashes are usually either when inserting a new synth into a project where it is open and yesterday it consistently crashed CW when opening the project, so it wasn't doing anything at the time of the crashes.😕

5 minutes ago, pbognar said:

If anyone is on the fence about Scaler, buy it now - there is a pretty stellar upgrade scheduled to drop on December 10th.

Yes, looking forward to this update myself.  Here are a few of the new features..

• Navigation Hot Keys (switch between windows using hotkeys or UI)
  • Bass Mode (over one hundred new genre based baselines created by professional producers)
  • Melody Mode (over one hundred new melodies categorised into sets each with 4 variations)
  • Swing and Quantise Menu (add global swing including triplets and various note lengths)
  • Enhanced Edit Mode (all new grouping and ability to continue phrases and melodies over chord changes)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3