Cakewalk and Yamaha MX49 connection

GodinLG

Question

Hi,

I'm new at recording via DAWs. I recently downloaded Cakewalk and trying to use my Yamaha MX49 as a MIDI controller.

On the MX49, I plugged it to my computer via a USB cable, it automatically installed the MX49 driver, then

Press [UTILITY] button , Select “02:MIDI” , Set “MIDI IN/OUT” parameter to “USB.”  then STORE

Press [UTILITY] button , then [JOB] , Select “01:QuickSetup”,  Set “Type” to “DAW Rec” . Then STORE

But I do not see the MX49 in the Cakewalk Edit -> Preferences ->MIDI

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the info

Yes  as you mentioned I had to install the Yamaha Steinberg MX driver , now it works,.

But I have another question, I can hear any projects via the MX49 speakers but not thru my computer speakers.

Per example if I play any of the demo songs I do NOT hear them via my computer speakers,  I have to listen to it via the MX49 speakers.

I also have a Boss BR80 recorder which can act as an audio interface, but same thing happens I can hear the projects via the BR80 output.

I noticed that my Audio devices does not list my computer speakers, my driver mode is ASIO , should I see my computer speakers on the list ?

I only see the BR80 and Yamaha MX49 as devices

I'm using a Toshiba laptop with Realtek HD audio

Thanks again for any feedback

Edited by GodinLG

Hmm. My Yamaha MX 49 doesn't have speakers. I must have gotten the discount model. 😄
Anyway, if you want to hear everything from the same source, everything has to be routed through that source.
You will need to connect the audio outputs of the MX to your interface and set up an audio track in Cakewalk to play through.
Or, insert a software synthesizer into Cakewalk and play the Yamaha through that soft synth.

If you haven't already gotten the Instrument Definition for the MS 49, here it is:

MX.ins

There are a couple of errors, such as a bass patch name being repeated in the wrong banks, but that's easily fixed by editing the file in Notepad. I think I already did that. 🤔
The name is wrong although it plays the correct patch.

• Like 1