Newbie baffled with volumes

NVine

I've recently switched to CW and I like it really much. Now with my first project I'm having some trouble with volumes. I've mixed and mastered a song the same way I've always done with other DAWs (tracks to buses, buses to mix bus, mix to master, EQ's, suitable compressing for tracks and buses, etc = "the usual"). The mix sounds balanced and the EQ curve is similar to my reference track. When I  make my final adjustments to volume (using LoudMax) and set it to around -14 LUFS (integrated) with -1 as true peak max, I first noticed that the volume of the exported file (mp3 or wav) is quite low compared to professionally mastered songs.  Then I decided to make a test by importing a couple songs into the project (used e.g. a RHCP song) and I was baffled that it was hitting - 6 LUFS (integr.). What am I not seeing here? Are there some settings I've not noticed? Is my mastering complete shite? Why are the imported songs such louder than the usual "target value"?  

Capture.JPG

10 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Dumb question... you're not feeding your imported reference track through your own mastering chain are you?

Thanks for your response. Not a dumb question, but the answer is no. Also, checked the loudness by adding the loudness metering on the imported song's track.

15 minutes ago, treesha said:

The imported professionally mastered songs were probably not mastered to -14, but likely to -6 if thats what you are seeing.  I do master to -14 but any songs i check are always much higher than -14. 

May be, strange to me.

You should buy the full version of the Youlean meter. Its well worth it and unless the sale has ended it was only $40 can. The paid version lets you drag and drop files directly and it reports the true peak and Luff etc. within seconds. This way you can drag and drop this reference track without hassle and then there's no danger of any settings or plug ins screwing with the results. 

it also unlocks the important pre sets for Spotify etc. The default free version are all TV broadcast standards and irrelevant.  

Also go to his web site and there's some very good info on this topic. I learned a lot last week when I did all this. Up until now I've always used Wave Lab to analyze tracks. It works great but it's much slower and involved. This is on the fly as you mix and then you can even drag and drop your MP3 copy and double check it's OK. Everybody who markets their music should have this tool. 

Another tip.

That Loudness max is pretty good for a freebie I've been using it ocationally when in a hurry. 

But if you have a better quality Brickwall limiter like the BT Brickwall that came with Sonar try that. I also use the LP Multi Band as a way to push levels. It results in a more even spectrum.

My Master bus bin is stacked like this when mastering for CD. 

LP Multi Band - Input 0 Output -0.4 Mastering preset. all bands default at +2.50  and then tweaked.  if I need louder I can push the input( just a little) 

BT Brickwall set at -0.4 

Span to check spectrum and extra input on levels 

Youlean meter set to my custom preset with -14 and -0.4 true peak. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 10:30 AM, John Vere said:

You should buy the full version of the Youlean meter. Its well worth it and unless the sale has ended it was only $40 can. The paid version lets you drag and drop files directly and it reports the true peak and Luff etc. within seconds. This way you can drag and drop this reference track without hassle and then there's no danger of any settings or plug ins screwing with the results. 

it also unlocks the important pre sets for Spotify etc. The default free version are all TV broadcast standards and irrelevant.  

Also go to his web site and there's some very good info on this topic. I learned a lot last week when I did all this. Up until now I've always used Wave Lab to analyze tracks. It works great but it's much slower and involved. This is on the fly as you mix and then you can even drag and drop your MP3 copy and double check it's OK. Everybody who markets their music should have this tool. 

Black Friday sale for next few days fo $29.99 USD

• Like 1