Ovox and Air Riser Consistent Crash

Fabio Rubato

Hello everyone, 

Just purchased Wave's OVox the other day and was playing around with it. All good until I loaded it on a project that also had Air's Riser on it. Immediate crash apparently in the Riser's module. I tested it again on a clean project with no other plug-ins and the same thing occurred. I then tried it in Reaper and both load okay. So it appears to be unique to Cakewalk. Anyone else have this problem? 

Thanks

Hi Fabio,

I just tried it on an empty project and also got a repeatable crash in the Riser.

Happens with both VST2 and VST3 versions of OVox when I add it to the Riser's fx bin.

I get a similar crash in Cantabile but it works fine in Studio One 5 Pro.

ZT

1206207179_riserovoxcrash.jpg.d8946f7a0f84620a367ed93ed5fdee64.jpg

Edited by ZincT

Noel, have you forwarded this to Wave yet? They are wanting me to uninstall all of my Wave plug-ins but everything is working well with the exception of The Riser in relation to Ovox...and both programs function in Reaper as mentioned, so it seems to be a peculiar problem with Cakewalk. 

@Fabio I had not seen your message. Please mention (@)  if you need to draw a specific persons attention to a message.

I looked at the dump file and the crash is not Waves related so it will be useless to them. The crash is in air riser so you should send it to the vendor for that plugin. Version info from the dump file is below. 

Unhandled exception at 0x0000000037DD975D (theRiser_x64.dll) in Untitled_12052020_110141.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xFFFFFFFE39480214.

theRiser_x64.dll    theRiser_x64.dll    *c:\program files\Cakewalk\vstplugins\AIR Riser\theRiser_x64.dll   
1.00.7.19000    10/28/2015 6:11 AM    0000000037D70000-0000000039A6C000    Untitled_12052020_110141.dmp        

This is not a cakewalk crash so only the vendor can analyze it.

If you have a different dump file with a crash in OVox you can attach that.

@Noel BorthwickThanks for having a look. It's interesting that Reaper does not share the same fate with these 2 plug-ins as Cakewalk does, which is why I thought it to be Cakewalk. I have tried sending a support ticket to Air Technology but have not heard back. Hopefully the info you forwarded can provide insight and a solution. Waves could not reproduce the issue despite ZincT being able to reproduce it. They want me to uninstall/re-install all my plug-ins which is quite a process, so I'm just waiting to see if AT can help. The dump file I sent is the only one generated when these 2 plug-ins come into conflict in Cakewalk. Thank you.

• 3 months later...

@Fabio Rubato Did you get a response from Air support with this? I have had similar crashes with theriser and it ovox hasnt been involved. The first time I thought it was a one off. I recovered the track and rebuilt with the riser again and didnt seem to run into the problem again. Today I opened a file that I have opened several times before and made some adjustments. I didnt touch theriser tracks and saved as usual. When I came back after lunch it was crashing upon opening reporting  theriser with a 0xC0000005 access violation. I tried to login to my account at air but it only lets you input your email address and promises to email but no email has arrived as of 30 minutes later.

• 3 weeks later...

no jandlab...no response and similar login issues. Waves say they don't provide support with the latest version of Cakewalk, so they don't want touch this issue either. No workaround that I know of, except to use iZotope's similar vocoder. 😞

from https://www.waves.com/plugins/ovox-vocal-resynthesis#tab-tech-specs

Cakewalk users:
The latest version of OVox is not compatible with Cakewalk. We are working on making it compatible soon. In the meantime, please refrain from installing or updating the latest version of OVox, as this may result in Cakewalk hanging. If you wish to install Ovox, or have updated prior to seeing this message, please contact Waves Tech Support, and we will provide you with the previous OVox version for installation.

• Like 1

okay thanks for responding. It had always worked for me, just in relation to The Riser the issue occurred. Don't know about 2021.04 though. I've just installed it and it crashes each time when loading iZotope's Insight program. 😞

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, 4th Eden said:

well this is still happening... I've just bought Ovox... loaded up a project and then saw this thread... I froze Riser and the Ovox worked... however Cakewalk crashes as I cycle through Ovox presets...

Have you tried Ovox w/o Riser in the project at all? Well at least Waves is aware and says they're working on it I guess.. 

5 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Have you tried Ovox w/o Riser in the project at all? Well at least Waves is aware and says they're working on it I guess.. 

yes, rather than total crash it operates but crashes when changing presets...

• Sad 1

I don't use Waves products but it appears from the note linked above, a different version is supplied by Waves support.

It may not be the same as the version installed via a rollback.

Regardless this might be something to take up with Waves support (just like the Waves page suggests).