trouble installing Cakewalk

mark skinner

A friend of mine has been trying to install CbB for days with no luck. He said the installer from the assistant spins forever or comes up with some kind of authorization faults. He's tried multiple downloads of the assistant.  Does Cakewalk download with the assistant ?  If I can find his Cakewalk file should the application .exe OR the config .exe be run ??   Thanks ..  mark

BandLab Assistant downloads, activates and updates Cakewalk by BandLab. The installation details are here. Even if your friend secured the Cakewalk installer by some other means, if activation is failing, the source of the installer would not matter. Maybe they need to temporarily turn off their virus scanner and make sure their firewall is not interfering with the software.

I gave him a call , he said  he downloaded from bandlab site after creating an account. Doesn't have anti virus/turned off firewall/ran assistant as Admin...  I'll see him this weekend and see for myself .  I may put mine on a flash drive if I can't figure it out.   Thanks ...  mark

The CbB installer is not saved unless you make a copy of it after it downloads.  

This from scook-  http://forum.cakewalk.com/BandLab-Download-Locations-m3753980.aspx   

The process *currently* deletes the install files after installing (given it's 1/2GB, I think this is poor practice), but it's stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads

The bandlab assistant installer will be in your download folder unless you deleted it. 

But your friend shouldn't be having that much trouble. It's pretty straight forward. 

I think it works best with Chrome. 

Edited by Cactus Music

Thanks for the info .  I'll bet the installer was deleted after aborting installation a few times ..   I think we'll clean his pc up and start over per your suggestions.   I'm sure I'll be back .     Thanks ..   You have all been a great help .       Later ..   Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well ..  he got it downloaded and installed after spring break , but getting a missing win-crt-runtime error and it won't open.  Supposed to try a windows update today.  I didn't want to just leave this hanging after the help I got from you .. I'm sure I'll be back ..   Thanks ..  mark

5 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Well ..  he got it downloaded and installed after spring break , but getting a missing win-crt-runtime error and it won't open.  Supposed to try a windows update today.  I didn't want to just leave this hanging after the help I got from you .. I'm sure I'll be back ..   Thanks ..  mark

Yeah, that's a very out of date system if they're getting that error. They'll likely need to do a whole slew of Windows updates depending on which version they have.