Analog Obsession Releases Britpressor – FREE Vintage Compressor

cclarry

For you Windows users, the VST3 WIN link provides a .vst3 file extension. This extension only works for MAC if I understand correctly. However the other link, VST WIN, provides a .dll extension file, that you can copy and paste into you x86 program file vst folder.

That's what worked for me!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pluto Gabo said:

For you Windows users, the VST3 WIN link provides a .vst3 file extension. This extension only works for MAC if I understand correctly. However the other link, VST WIN, provides a .dll extension file, that you can copy and paste into you x86 program file vst folder.

That's what worked for me!

Both work in windows for me:

- Britpressor.vst3
- Britpressor.dll

29 minutes ago, Pluto Gabo said:

Ah... maybe it's just my lack of knowledge. I have only seen the .dll file extension. When I looked up .vst3, it indicated that it may not work for some Windows users: https://fileinfo.com/extension/vst3

Glad if it does though!

64 bit VST3 goes in a special folder on Windows, it doesn't go in all the other random VST folders like the older spec ones do.

Usually C drive - Program Files - Common Files - VST3

Place it in there and run the scan and chances are it will show up.

10 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

64 bit VST3 goes in a special folder on Windows, it doesn't go in all the other random VST folders like the older spec ones do.

Usually C drive - Program Files - Common Files - VST3

Place it in there and run the scan and chances are it will show up.

This is not strictly true. It is true that most installation programs default to this location for 64 bit VST3s, but you can put them in other locations if the installation program allows it, or you can move them later if you desire and you know what you are doing. However, your DAW or whatever you are using to scan for VSTs also has to allow for alternative scan locations for 64 bit VST3s as well. Most do. It should be noted that Steinberg does say that 64 bit VST3s should be install in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and 32 bit VST3s in  C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3 on 64 bit Windows.

Also note that VST3s have a .vst3 externsion. VST2s have a DLL extension. That is the standard at least for Windows VSTs.

25 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

This is not strictly true. It is true that most installation programs default to this location for 64 bit VST3s, but you can put them in other locations if the installation program allows it, or you can move them later if you desire and you know what you are doing. However, your DAW or whatever you are using to scan for VSTs also has to allow for alternative scan locations for 64 bit VST3s as well. Most do. It should be noted that Steinberg does say that 64 bit VST3s should be install in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and 32 bit VST3s in  C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3 on 64 bit Windows.

Also note that VST3s have a .vst3 externsion. VST2s have a DLL extension. That is the standard at least for Windows VSTs.

True and also not true.  Depnds on some factors, I don't know all the technical details but I can tell you with certaintly some applicaitons will not recognize some VST3 stored on say a F:drive like you can easily do with VST2.

I haven't had issues putting plugins in the default path for VST3, I have had issues putting them somewhere else.

Not sure if that is the case with this one plugin and bandlab in particular though.

2 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

However, it looks like he has redeemed himself, at least in the eyes of some people...see https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=509385&start=330

I use a plugin or two of his, but I also procede with caution when I do.  We were not talking about a couple bugs....more like a small infestation.

I really appreciate the new model he setup and I think that is better servered than charging for plugins that many have legitimate issues.  I only noticed a couple of small things in his newer plugins, but I think anyone would be wise to use with some caution if htey are using it for professional work.  (I would say the exact same thing about WAVES, for perspective - as I do not believe the system they use is completly reliable and have plenty of examples to that fact).  

His plugins also have not been super efficient for the type of plugin in my experience either.  

I haven't given up on him at all, but I do think it is fair when someone asks about the history to make sure they know some of the facts.  

5 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

True and also not true.  Depnds on some factors, I don't know all the technical details but I can tell you with certaintly some applicaitons will not recognize some VST3 stored on say a F:drive like you can easily do with VST2.

I haven't had issues putting plugins in the default path for VST3, I have had issues putting them somewhere else.

Not sure if that is the case with this one plugin and bandlab in particular though.

Like I said above, the application has to support alternative scan paths for VST3s. If you don't add the new location in you list of VST3 locations, it ain't gonna find it.

Regarding the DLL verses the VST3 extension, it may be that FL studio under Windows is a special case. At least according to this: https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-learning/fl-studio-online-manual/html/basics_externalplugins.htm

That said, all my VST3s have a .vst3 extension. I do not have FL studio, so I cannot say if FL studio handles the .vst3 extension for VST3s.

11 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Like I said above, the application has to support alternative scan paths for VST3s. If you don't add the new location in you list of VST3 locations, it ain't gonna find it.

Well some support alternatate vst paths, but not specifically for VST3 (which ends up not working)

https://answers.presonus.com/41480/studio-one-load-vst3-from-different-folder-than-the-default

However, on topic here, I tested it and the VST3 for this plugin related to this thread does worth with Cakewalk in an alternate path (assuming you have that path added in the VST scan folder)

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Yes.  Thus his move to the new website.

Also a history of bugs...don't forget the bugs.

Hmm... not sure a change of website changes whether or not the same binaries that are uploaded to it contain viruses... (or bugs for that matter)

23 minutes ago, antler said:

Hmm... not sure a change of website changes whether or not the same binaries that are uploaded to it contain viruses... (or bugs for that matter)

The story suggested the previous hosting was compromised and replacement files were placed in the downloads.

The new site supposidly used the original files that were not compromised.  Bugs still existed, but to his credit he has been releasing lots of updates that suposidly address many of those previous issues files.  

I tend to only attempt to use his newer stuff based on this situation.