I can’t figure out how to create an event in the midi piano roll

Zookie

Okay this should be simple, but I’ve tried just about everything, and I can’t figure out how to create a snare or kick that’s missing from my midi drum sequence track that I tapped in from a drum machine. I also tried to copy and paste another event and just duplicate that event and move it into place.

Thanks!

Were the kicks tapped in or are you clicking them in with the mouse?
It's possible (if tapping) that the note sent from the machine is a note that doesn't make a sound in the drum map you are using.
Click the keyboard (or drum names) on the left to find the kick sound you want and then drag your data to that note.

Hey thanks! 57Gregy, I’m doing it “old school “, tapping the drums in on a drum machine. I got the midi out set back to the same machine, so I’m not using any maps.

RobertWS, kool. Okay for some reason I didn’t try that. It’s awesome, but the noe is super long. I know I can select the notes and change its parameters, so I can shorten it. But what is controlling the length of the note I’m drawing, and how do I change that?

While I’m here, how do I copy a note then paste it somewhere else? That actually might be easier, as I can just add extra snare shots, and drag them into place.

Thanks, this forum is great !

You set the note duration in the menu bar. Pretty visible on my screen. Look up, see the notes? 

The smart tool draws notes no need to change to the pencil. For me when I hoover the PVR the pencil tool is what I see.  Left click and it enters a note of the duration I set and will snap to grid if that is also set.  I use only the smart tool for everything.   Look it up and learn it's different functions , you'll need this to get anything done. 

10 hours ago, Zookie said:

Hey thanks! 57Gregy, I’m doing it “old school “, tapping the drums in on a drum machine. I got the midi out set back to the same machine, so I’m not using any maps.

RobertWS, kool. Okay for some reason I didn’t try that. It’s awesome, but the noe is super long. I know I can select the notes and change its parameters, so I can shorten it. But what is controlling the length of the note I’m drawing, and how do I change that?

While I’m here, how do I copy a note then paste it somewhere else? That actually might be easier, as I can just add extra snare shots, and drag them into place.

Thanks, this forum is great !

1)  Select a note.

2) Copy it: Ctrl-C.

3) Carefully position the cursor to the desired destination.

4) Paste it: Ctrl-V

Wow u guys are great! Okay thanks, John Vere, I’ll look up the Smart Tool. I kinda thought there was a way to set the duration, but wasn’t sure where. I’m lousy at looking up how to do things, I like to click around and then hit undo if it does something I don’t want it to do. I know it’s actually not the best way to figure out all the functions of Cakewalk as I can already see there Tons of stuff on here!

Also thanks for the reply, RobertWS. I used to use Cakewalk as a sequencer back when it was version 3.1 in the mid 90’s, and I could place notes in the piano roll by holding down Cntrl and clicking with the mouse. I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t add note manually! It never occurred to me to use Cntrl-C and Cntrl-V. Thanks again guys!

Tip- If you open the HELP Module found in views, it will tell you what things do when you hover the mouse. You can learn a lot about the Cakewalk workspace this way. 

This is a picture of a midi note blob and the tool will perform different functions depending on where you hold the mouse pointer. The green at either end drag the duration the red at top is Velocity and the orange you grab to move the note. 

1-.png