Behringer UMC 240HD audio interface

Paul Bush

Hi chaps, has anyone bought and used this audio interface ?  Ibve had mine for about eight months  and its started to drop out and and crash I´m not using too many tracks (maybe as many14 )and some vst s I freeze  to stop them from popping etc ......I wanted to use the buffering fader in the divises section but it wouldnt move  any ideas ? cheers

Do you mean a UMC 204HD?  It's my main interface.  But with most synths (especially Kontakt) you can't run crazy low buffer sizes.  I pretty much just stick it at 2048 with safe mode on so I don't have any problems except when recording.  That's when I can lower it to 64 as long as I'm not using plugins/etc to just record something.  Then set it back to 2048 for mixing/editing.  Also make sure you have the latest release 4.59.0

Hi Mathew yes I meant 240 I´m using driver setting  wasapi shared instead of asio as asio  didnt work as well and ive tried turning down the safe slider but it wont budge  ,sampling rate of  44100 , audio driver bit depth  24 , upuntill now everything has worked well but as I said its started to  crash , and what is a 4.59.0 ?    ( driver maybe )  thanks for your help cheers

The wasapi driver is awful and will not work very well.  Only the real ASIO driver is any good.  But that assumes you have a UMC 204HD.  There are models of the UMC interfaces that don't have native ASIO drivers (and are very bad).

You can download the Behringer driver here https://www.behringer.com/downloads.html

Select the Audio Interface->USB Audio Interfaces->UMC204HD then scroll down to UMC204HDSoftwareUMC Driver 4.59.0 (for Windows 7 to 10) and click the download icon on the right.

image.thumb.png.62285bdc5130720777043495a293a612.png

Hi Matthew, thanks once again for the information , I re-downloaded the ASIO driver  and have re-installed it in bandlab , and hey presto the buffer slide now works , I´ll give it a go and see what happens , I did origanally have problems when changing  between you tube and band lab and it was impossibel to use both simutaneously and seperate screens  well thansk again  and keep safe .

FWIW...

WASAPI Shared uses a buffer set by the OS and cannot be changed by CbB.

All other driver modes have an adjustable buffer but some manufacturers do not support changing ASIO buffer size from the DAW.

For these interfaces, the buffer must be adjusted with software supplied by the manufacturer.

So sharing the UMC204HD with Cakewalk and Windows apps can be a bit tricky.  Here's the things I've done to make it work best.

I run all my Cakewalk projects at 48k (film/video reasons).  So I've configured Windows to do the same.  And I turn off 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

image.png.cfeb2daf8fa4de3a0f17b5aeb4641fb0.png

While I don't use it, the option inside Cakewalk to suspend the audio engine when Cakewalk is not in focus might also help.

Every now and then some app will try to force the audio interface to 44.1 and mess things up.  Usually the side effect of this is ASIO apps continue to work just fine but Windows apps (like web browsers) stop playing sounds.  The fix for this is to find the app that is locking the audio interface and kill it.

I also kill/disable all the HDMI audio interfaces, since I don't use my monitor for sound.

• Like 1

And here`s the crazy thing,  by using  wasapi you tube etc works a treat  , I also use a tv monitor as a second  monitor as it now stands if I want to use you tube I have to re boot my pc and then its all fine , I have`nt got as far  as playing along using  a youtube backing track so i´ll try that tomorrow , cheers  now

I use my steinberg ur44 as my sole audio device, Asio of course. It works not only with YouTube and cakewalk simultaneously, but every other audio generating software and cakewalk together. When I am not using Cakewalk, it works for all games and general use audio. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well thanks guys I´m going to send my 204 back to thoman and maybe its faulty , its really going crazy Ive got 7 tracks all with a tough of reverb and and Ive even frozen the b6 hamond but its still havinf an Audio dropout its impossible to use  Ive chnaged the buffer size with the fader and gone doent to 2204 or whatever and still has more dropouts thana hippie commune , Ive rebooted the driver and i´m going round in circles so it still under guarentee  so i`ll see what Thoman can do    ...I get the feeling they`ll send it back saying its perfect ......Oh well