BandLab Assistant keeps saying "new version available" even after updating::.

MarianoGF

Hello,

My BandLab Assistant keeps saying "new version available" even after updating. (I'm talking about updating the Assistant, not about Cakewalk app)

The green "update" button never works for me, so I always do it manually. It didn't work, so I uninstalled the Assistant and installed it again. It didn't work either; BandLab Assistant keeps saying "new version available". Also, I can't have the information of what version I have, because that info appears when there's no new version available.

Thanks in advance for your help::.

Edited by MarianoGF

3 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

doesn't the in-app updates just call the assistant?

I think so My understanding is as long as you are logged into the assistant you can update Cakewalk. I was hoping we will only have to update the assistant 2 times a year now instead of the way it's been. But updating the assistant has almost always involved this:

Go to website and download latest version.

Before you install make sure no other version is running- this is what causes hangups. 

You can even check in Windows settings "Apps" and see if there is 2 versions installed. This happens a lot too. It doesn't delete the old versions. As I said, it's a POS software  and has needed someone to work the bugs out from day one. 

10 hours ago, MarianoGF said:

My BandLab Assistant keeps saying "new version available" even after updating. . . .

The green "update" button never works for me, so I always do it manually. It didn't work, so I uninstalled the Assistant and installed it again. It didn't work either; BandLab Assistant keeps saying "new version available".

When I saw this today, I said, "Yup!"  But like you, I tried again, and again, and one last time.  I tried the usual tricks, including updating from within the app, quitting from the task tray, killing the left-over processes manually (task manager), and maybe a few others--I don't remember.  As far as I am concerned (as other have said), it really doesn't matter to me as long as the update mechanism works in Cakewalk.  

Its just like the downloadable loops style/genre filter which doesn't scroll--doesn't work and not a problem for me.

Very happy, though, for all the Cakewalk fixes, features, etc. and the responsiveness of the Cakewalk team.

Same here. My assistant is the current version, but keeps saying a new version is available at the bottom.

My experience has been that the BL assistant updates have never been consistently stable, so I just go to the website to download the new version. I ignore the message a new version is available because it's not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Been there recently (BandLab assistant keeps showing update available). I downloaded the latest version from BandLab website, and reinstall after I uninstall the old one. It still bugged me to update. Checked Windows Control Panel and found 2 instances of BandLab application of different version. Uninstall both and do clean install afterward. Still no luck.

So I click the update green button and forget about it. After like 15 or 20 minutes of no activity, there's notification that it appears to install the update. Click next etc, and the assistant restarts itself... Then it becomes version 6.3.0 (the latest).

Looks like we need to update the assistant within the application rather than to download from the website. It takes some time to update itself in the background. It will eventually update automatically after background download.

Hope it helps...

I was running  BA v6.1.0 and saw the update notification, since prior BA's failed to self update I downloaded what I thought would be the latest from website and ran it, this was BA v6.2.0 and as of this moment is the current website download .  When BA v6.2.0 opened it once again showed the update notification. This time I used the BA self update option, and updated BA, closed any running versions and relaunched BA and viola it worked, this latest version of BA is v6.3.0 hence the prior update notification.  So it seems the website  is one version behind. Also v6.2.0 was the first version in a while that actually self updated swiftly and without a glitch!

Another buggy issue is, and I just did this myself to check,  When you look under Windows settings Apps, there is 2 versions of Bandlab Assistant installed. One says  version 5 and the other versions 6. When I clicked on version 5 to uninstall it unistalled versions 6?? When I try to delete version 5 you get an error 

301096443_2020-11-29(2).png.9507dbfa1c03ae9ac6be260f93178949.png

When you look in that location this is all there is1825912254_2020-11-29(3).png.5765650bdd9ec78ad95c33278e8ef360.png

When you click on the "updater.exe you get this and nothing else

1996296783_2020-11-29(4).png.8a5bc112e5f87dd6670e243d82e3f9bb.png

Squirrel??

It's driving me nuts!   

Anyhow I deleted the Squirrel and all it's nuts and even the tree they were in ( containment folder) .

I then went to Bandlab Web site and, as reported above,  I downloaded the version posted there and it opened and said there's a update , so I did that and then logged on and then I updated Cakewalk and then I checked in Windows Apps and now there is only one version and it is the correct 6.3.0  so thanks to the squirrel I now for once have a clean running Bandlab thing happening. Let's see how the next 6 months unfold. 

22 hours ago, John Vere said:

there is 2 versions of Bandlab Assistant installed

Well, not exactly, what  I found " ...\AppData\Roaming\BandLab Assistant" a remnant of v5.0.4, the folder name differs from the current "bandlab-assistant" found in "Roaming", all other locations  ...\AppData\Local & .\AppData\Local\Programs only contain the  current "bandlab-assistant" & "bandlab-assistant-updater" 6.3.0  versions and "Programs and Features" only shows the current version. So, I surmise the uninstall for v5.0.4 was sloppy and incomplete.  Depending on the BA install history,  it could be different for each individual system.

On 11/28/2020 at 12:00 PM, pwalpwal said:

doesn't the in-app updates just call the assistant?

Nope, it downloads and installs the update on its own.

You only use BandLab Assistant for the initial installation of Cakewalk by BandLab (and any other components you want, like Drum Replacer for example).  Once it's installed, you can immediately uninstall the Assistant and just use the DAW itself to keep up to date.