2 TB SSDs Lower in Price Than Buying Two 1TB SSDs

Reid Rosefelt

I picked up the Samsung 2 TB drive earlier yesterday.

3 hours ago, simon said:

same principle with the 4 and 8TB versions

If you're talking price the 4 & 8TB versions - they're still more expensive than 2X the next step down.   
i.e.  something like $99 for 1TB, $199 for 2TB, $534 (now, I think they was in the mid $400s yesterday) or so for 4TB.
I don't think the demand for those models is enough yet (though I wish it was) to cause a significant price drop.

3 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

Just bought the 1Gb Samsung but have been wondering if any of these 2 Gb drives would be cheaper for Cyber Monday.  Probably not worth waiting and seeing no price change...!

Edit (misread) risk of waiting is that they might run out of stock.
I was comparing Newegg against Amazon for various models and most on Newegg are now either out or backordered.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've got a lot of space for internal drives inside my computer.  And PCie cards to add 4 or 8 SATA ports are pretty cheap, so I've always gone with 1TB drives.  It was by far the most inexpensive way to go--and I would rather have a drive with 1TB fail than a big one.  

But.... considering how big libraries are these days...  maybe 2TB is the new 1TB.  😃

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

If you're talking price the 4 & 8TB versions - they're still more expensive than 2X the next step down.   

I'm in the UK so maybe things are slightly different.

Looking at the Samsung 860/870 the 4/8TB are marginally cheaper per TB....but it's close

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I've got a lot of space for internal drives inside my computer.  And PCie cards to add 4 or 8 SATA ports are pretty cheap, so I've always gone with 1TB drives.  It was by far the inexpensive way to go--and I would rather have a drive with 1TB fail than a big one.  

But.... considering how big libraries are these days...  maybe 2TB is the new 1TB.  😃

Bottom line is that it all needs backing up so the failing part 'should' be irrelevant.

I prefer not to use PCIe SATA boards if possible but most modern motherboards have 6 or 8 SATA ports so hopefully not needed anyway.

Edited by simon