EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition (not a deal)

Vernon Barnes

I was expecting this around now but it looks like the release has slipped to January.

http://www.soundsonline.com/hollywood-orchestra-opus-edition

Also it looks regular composer cloud subscribers like me  only get one mic position but that will do me and save a fair bit of disc space. The plus subscription is double the cost.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

Yeah, a brand new engine: "Our brand new OPUS software engine replaces PLAY and has been years in development. "Many improvements were made to the PLAY software engine over the last decade but we suddenly had a unique opportunity," says producer Doug Rogers, "we were able to bring Wolfgang Kundrus in as head of software development. He was the mastermind behind the creation of Cubase, Nuendo, and Studio One. Then we were able to bring in Wolfgang Schneider, the creator of Kontakt. With these two titans of the music software development now on the team, we decided it was time to develop a brand new software engine from the ground up. The OPUS software engine is the realization of this effort. Not only is it faster, more powerful, more flexible, and better looking than PLAY, it comes with some incredible new features such as individual instrument downloads, the ability to start playing instruments while they're loading, customized key-switches, new effects for the mixer page, scaleable retina GUI upgrades for legacy products, a powerful new script language, and many more features that allow you to completely customize the sound of each instrument. It's one of the most exciting developments in the history of our company and will be the launching pad for many exciting new products of the future."

I am very curious to try it.

Edited by Amicus717
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, cclarry said:

How much do you wanna bet that they charge for it, like they did with Play 6!
Hopefully they learned their lesson with Play 6, but I'm not holding my breath!

They are going to charge for not just it, but everything else too, count on it.  Enough to make you consider the subscription is a good deal. 

According to Linked-In Wolfgang Kundrus has been at EastWest for five years doing mostly their downloader I guess.

Senior Software Engineer

EastWest Sounds

Jan. 2015–Heute5 Jahre 11 Monate

Los Angeles

Implemented the subscription service, created various services on AWS to support the installation process, that interfaces with the Pace license service.
Created a Java application that does the content installation and performs license activation.
Implemented new build processes, based on Jenkins build server.
Optimised the sample player software.
Implemented a database solution for instrument selection.

Given how craptacular his optimized sample player software is, I'm setting my expectations to very, very low.  Play 6 still doesn't play release tails unless you fully load the samples into memory.

• Sad 2