Things We Didn't Do...

53mph

I did a little remix this morning of a song over on HitRecord - I threw some Nembrini plugins at this one along with various filters and free Meldra FX and my new R4 and Phonixverb acquisition - I'm trying to ween myself off of iZotope. ;)

I've gone for a Bjork vibe. Distorted drums and thick basses. Lots of lush warmth to this one.

Hope you like - 

https://hitrecord.org/records/5292895

I've changed the link because I've uploaded a newer mix

Edited by Philip G Hunt
  • Like 1

Hello Phillip, I have never heard of HITRECORD before, so I'm really not sure what it is or how it works, but it looks very interesting.

I like what you did to this song, very interesting, the distorted drums, the changes.  Did you add any of the instrumentation, or just the mix and the arrangement?

Is this the style you like to work in the most?

Anyway, that was nice.  I look forward to hearing more.

• Thanks 1

Philip
One of those songs where you discover something new with every listen. I really enjoyed this.
That is a distorted drum sound for sure. Somehow it doesn't distract from the vocal.
I like the different styles while keeping the same theme. Cool piano accompaniment to the voc.
Singer reminds me of Kate Bush.
Great job.

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2020 at 2:18 PM, Jesse Screed said:

Hello Phillip, I have never heard of HITRECORD before, so I'm really not sure what it is or how it works, but it looks very interesting.

I like what you did to this song, very interesting, the distorted drums, the changes.  Did you add any of the instrumentation, or just the mix and the arrangement?

Is this the style you like to work in the most?

Anyway, that was nice.  I look forward to hearing more.

Hi Jesse, thanks for giving it a listen.  This is not my usual genre, but I like to try my hand at everything. If I'm working with female vocalists, it tends to go more pop - with this one I wanted a sparce sound.

The original track was played on a ukelele and sounded ultra-twee, then Charlie turned it Euro-rave, then I took his mix and made it into what you hear.

HitRecord is a collaborative 'artists' site started by the actor Joseph Gordon Levitt and his brother a long time ago. I think it's as old as Facebook. The setup and layout of the site have gone through many changes, and the approach has changed a lot in the last few years. It used to be smaller and more intimate, now it's a bit over-crowded with meh, but still a good place to find good people and projects to have fun with - purely for shits and giggles - nothing serious.

This year I was fortunate to have a Zoom chat with Joseph himself, and I've got my stuff used for various high profile projects. But if you're looking to make money from the site, forget it.

Shits and giggles only.

20 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Philip
One of those songs where you discover something new with every listen. I really enjoyed this.
That is a distorted drum sound for sure. Somehow it doesn't distract from the vocal.
I like the different styles while keeping the same theme. Cool piano accompaniment to the voc.
Singer reminds me of Kate Bush.
Great job.

Thank you so much Bjorn, The main piano was played by a guy called Charlie who is wheel-chair bound, but that doesn't stop him from coming up with some great music - plus he has a wicked British sense of humour. I added some extra 'airy' piano underneath his.  My main work on the track was dissecting it, rearranging it, and sound design on the instrument and vocal sounds. I really worked on those sounds, especially the drums. Originally they were your standard techno-vibe - Carving out a space for the vocal in all that distortion was fun.

kate Bush? I'll pass it on, but she's so young, she probably doesn't know who Kate Bush is. ;D

Edited by Philip G Hunt