Exporting and freezing MIDI

David Rubenstein

I have been having a problem with both freezing tracks and exporting. I am using the 2020.11 version of Cakewalk by Bandlab. 

When playing the music inside Bandlab, it sounds fine. However, often--but not always--when I export a track, some of the instruments do not come out in the WAV file sounding correctly. Long-playing notes only play as short notes, sort of staccato. This happens regardless of whether the reverb plug-in is in the individual track or a bus.  

In order to mitigate this problem, I have tried freezing the problematic tracks. But the same problem occurs when I play back the frozen tracks.

Another thing I have tried, is to turn off the "fast-bounce" option when either exporting or freezing a track. This often helps, but of course it is time consuming. I have also played around with various options in the Export Audio menu, such as bit depth, 64-bit engine, and sample rate. There are many possible combinations of options, but I haven't found a combination that is fool-proof.

Any advice on what is happening?

Thanks for any suggestions!

3 hours ago, David Rubenstein said:

Another thing I have tried, is to turn off the "fast-bounce" option when either exporting or freezing a track. This often helps, but of course it is time consuming.

This problem is often a plug-in issue.

• Like 1

Dang.  It's not a problem with anything.  It's a one click setting somewhere (unfortunately I haven't done it in a while so I'm trying to remember) that changes the way the data is handled during freezing.  I'll see if I find it and re-post.  It was so simple...but some times it's the simple stuff that eludes us HA

Nope.  Not there.   Grrrrr, I'm pissed at myself for misplacing this option.  Still looking.  It's in Project Setting somewhere I think and it was global for the project but not for Sonar overall or it would not be cutting off a current project.  Pretty sure a support for Sonar at Bandlab answered it for me.

First, I am still using Sonar Platinum, the last version prior to BandLab.  I have the Bandlab version on my laptop for my mobile and remote programing.  On our main studio computer, I'm still running Win 7 Pro 64 and I'm a believer in if it works don't fix it, and I built this computer and it works crazy good.  Dual Xeon 8 core, 32 gig Ram, GeForce vid card, liquid cooled.  Chips are clocked over 4Ghtz...blah, blah.

My initial issue with notes cutting off after freeze was in Play, which is all my East West Composer Cloud libraries player.  Any sound I'd load and have sustaining notes long than a second would truncate after freezing.  The setting was having to do with whether sounds were streaming from disk or from RAM.  If from disk (default setting) notes would truncate when I'd freeze.  If you untick that option (which means you're selecting the sounds to stream from RAM), it works fine.  Here is where the setting are in Play.  Most more advanced VST instruments, especially ones that have their own "multi channel player" have this setting somewhere.  

This thread is Confusing, The OP never responded but Mr Frazee is responding like they were the OP??

Hard to troubleshoot issues with old OS and old versions because of the many stability upgrades that have happened since to both Windows and Cakewalk. You say if it ain't broke?  For most of us it was, and now it ain't. 

It has nothing to do with Sonar or Win OS.  It's settings that many VST instruments have for resource hogging samples.  If you read the original post by David, you will see he was asking a question about note truncating when freezing a VST plug in.  Nobody was getting it right.  I had the same problem using both Win 7 and 10 as well as Cakewalk Sonar and Bandlab Sonar and got my answer a few months ago from East West support.  Come to find out it's common with several 3rd party VST providers.  BTW, it must still be "broken" because his post was from this past Friday.

Sorry, just trying to help 

6 minutes ago, Tom Frazee said:

It's settings that many VST instruments have for resource hogging samples.  If you read the original post by David, you will see he was asking a question about note truncating when freezing a VST plug in.  Nobody was getting it right.  I had the same problem using both Win 7 and 10 as well as Cakewalk Sonar and Bandlab Sonar and got my answer a few months ago from East West support.  Come to find out it's common with several 3rd party VST providers.  BTW, it must still be "broken" because his post was from this past Friday.

IOW a plug-in issue.

Knowing which plug-ins are involved may help.

If it is a streaming vs. non-streaming sample issue, again knowing which plug-in would be useful.

So far I've found the issue in Play and Kontakt 5.  Pretty much limited to VST's that load sounds using a dedicated "player" interface.  If a person is having the note truncating issue when freezing a track, look for an option in the player for streaming from disk or RAM.  GM VST's generally are not using massive samples so I haven't yet run into this problem with CW TTS, Garritan or Aria.  But I guess because Mr Vere has indicated I'm not an "OP" I'll just stay out of it.  I thought that's what forums were all about

Sorry about that , No I was confused by the actual OP not responding and was wondering if you were the OP or a user with the same issue? That happens sometimes.  And then trying to follow the thread had me totally lost. No big deal. Please don't let me turn away your offer to help. That would suck. 

NP.  As you, we've been involved in MIDI since 1984, first with the Commodore then hardware (Yamaha QX-1) then all the variances of PC based sequencing.  Bought Logic 5 then a month later Apple bought them so I was hung out to dry.  Played in a show band with Tom White who has been at the forefront of MIDI and is still the ED of the association.

Anyways, hope you're not getting hit too hard with Covid in Canada.  We're just outside of Boston.  Tom