Writing lyrics and song structure

2 hours ago, lapasoa said:

Not really. There are hundred of ways to create a song musically. The real difference is to create the lyrics first or after the music.

Go ahead. Learning by doing mistakes..

This is the heart of the matter. With software we often get it in our heads that things should work the way WE want them to work. This is rarely the case as the developers are  computer geeks and some luckily are real musicians who get into music software for this very reason,   dreaming of software that works for you. So that person develops the software that works for THEM. They release it and then get 1,000's of requests for updates to make it work for others. If your lucky one of these people will grant your wish in a update that many requested. If your the only person asking for some specific upgrade it will likely never happen.   

Bottom line is most times we pick the DAW software that works the closest to our way of working/ thinking. For some this takes years of demoing a lot of stuff! I'm lucky I just happened to pick Cakewalk  because I would have probably ended up using it anyways.

So we use the best parts of it and avoid the buggy poorly done stuff like Playlist,  Staff and Lyric view and move on to what works for us. Obviously most Cakewalk users are happy to either use a real or virtual notepad. 

You can bug the developers to give the lyric view some love, but unless a lot of other support this they will probably spend time on more interesting things. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 2:59 PM, msmcleod said:

IIRC Lyrics in SONAR/Cakewalk are primarily used for those wanting to create Karaoke tracks.

not sure this supports the current user base? sounds a bit like staff view, implemented something a long time ago and not changed since

On 11/28/2020 at 8:48 PM, Frans van den Berge said:

Truely depressing to read. 

Really? There are many free ways to edit lyrics, it doesn't need to be a part of the same software we use to make music.

Cakewalk's "Lyrics" feature won't do what you and I would like it to, but a good free plug-in will, "A pity," perhaps, but depressing?