Finally upgraded to Windows 2004 (20H2)

msmcleod

After months of about 10-15 attempts (to be honest, I've lost count) of trying to update my main Studio PC to Windows 2004, I finally managed to get it upgraded to Windows 20H2.

For months I've been getting a consistent BSOD on the second boot with a KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE, followed by a failed recovery and then it reverting back to 1909.

The weird thing, is that I've got a Win 10 install (which I use for development) on another boot partition on the same machine that upgraded with no problems a few months ago.  The two partitions are pretty similar: apart from the dev tools, both have more or less the same software on there.

Anyhow, I downloaded NirSoft's DriverView, ran it on both installs, and did a comparison between the two.

Turns out the culprit was KORGUM64.SYS - Korg's USB MIDI driver (which is used by the nano series).  Given that I use this on both boot partitions, it would seem this driver isn't actually needed in normal use - just the Korg editors need it. 

Just uninstalling this didn't work, but manually renaming it to KORGUM64.sys.bak and rebooting did.

The other suspect driver was NIWinCDEmu.sys which is used by NativeAccess, or at least it was at one point (it's not present on my dev boot, even though NativeAccess is). I renamed this to NIWinCDEmu.sys.bak, although the Windows upgrade promptly put it back after the upgrade.

So the moral of the story: If you can't upgrade to Windows 2004... check your drivers!

• Thanks 4